Author Topic: They call him the Belfast Boy.  (Read 11469 times)

arkie

Re: They call him the Belfast Boy.
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 09:00:26 PM »
WELCOME BACK CARLISLE.

belfastgirlatheart

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 08:30:17 PM »
 >:(in reply 2 mageeka alot of abuse against women go on just george was as famous an brilliant at footie he got a bad press bout it !!!!!!!!!!!!! it happens 2 men 2 an bein a womAn i can say women can b just as bad !!!!!!!!!!!! it wudnt have had   as much publicity if he wasnt as famous GEORGIE GEORGIE THEY CALLED HIM THE BELFAST BOY!!!!!!!!!!
 >:(                 

Christopher

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 09:25:30 PM »
"What other footballer is still talked about 30 years after retiring from top football?  ?

Pat Jennings, MBE, OBE; Sir Stanley Matthews, CBE; Bertie Peacock and Charlie Tully.
Would you like a few more? How many people do you need to talk about these guys?
Sorry I almost forgot. The guys in the England squad of 1966. That would be forty years ago. 

belfastgirlatheart

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 07:31:22 AM »
yeah ur rite carlise i bet if pple asked themselves that WOT WUD THEY SAY EH!!!!!!!  ::)

carlisle401

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2006, 08:08:25 AM »
I've seen the three out of the four players named. Sorry, but George Best's football skills were were above all of these.

Best reagrds

Jim

Christopher

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2006, 12:03:30 PM »
I agree with you George had certain skills ... he was exceptionally gifted and talented on the football pitch playing a game for 90 minutes .. probably one of the best in the world. He was loved by all his fans for those skills. He was a much loved son, brother and husband (?). On the larger football pitch of life with no proper stoppages such as those mentioned in FIFA's Book of Rules for the game of Soccer .. I quote George's own words .. "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Those fast cars George mentions lead me straight to another guy who died the same week as George Best. He was younger than George. He too was worthy of the title "The Best" It is interesting that his surname also started with the letter "B". His name ... Richard Burns.  He was not a Belfast person but he was Britain's first World Rally champion. I am not certain what Britain in that context means .. surely the guy was the first World Rally champion of the United Kingdom. Richard's death was overshadowed by the death of George.

Lets salute two great sporting heroes. I feel it is much better not to set out making comparisons between one sports personality and another .. comparing them with guys in their own field or comparing a sportsman in one field with a sportsman in another field. That is one certain way to get involved in a serious agruement. Sport is big business .. a form of entertainment no more. I feel far too much money is given to sportsmen in this day and age. At the end of the day it should be "a fun thing" .. no sport should cause people to enter into pitched battles with one another.

Well .. I hope the above few words give you some food for thought.

Christopher

beegee

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2006, 03:54:28 AM »
good bad or indiffernt------Bestie will always be remembered for his football ability and whilst Im at it  .and so will   Caldwell and Gilroy for their boxing abilities and the same with  Joseph Locke for his singing voice    leave the peronal sides of their lives where they belong.

Christopher

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2006, 04:56:29 AM »
A bunch of talented guys beegee there is no doubt about it.

Another couple of exceptionally talented sportsmen from the North of Ireland were mentioned on the Sports page at the back of the Belfast Telegraph dated 21st July. I feel our thoughts and prayers should be with them and their wives. Darren Clarke's wife Heather is fighting cancer and Martin O'Neill's wife Geraldine is also seriously ill.

ulsterstan

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2006, 11:36:19 PM »
I saw Geordie quite a few times when he played with the San Jose Earthquakes and although not as fast he was still  brilliant with the dribble and accurate passes ,scored a few great goals too and he was down to earth ,stood and signed autographs and chatted with everybody then he'd spend a lot of time in the Britiania Arms in San Jose .  The Belfast boy will always be remembered the world over for the great footballer he was ,even the great Pele had the high regards for him and he done Belfast proud.
Stan Sloan.

Christopher

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 03:18:52 PM »
I read an article in the Belfast Telegraph on Tuesday night. Eamon Dunphy (an Irish TV commentator and writer) is understood to have received a large cash advance for a biography he is going to write ... George Best. He will mention "warts and all" George's agent Phil Huges is not too happy about this as Best and Dunphy had not met for about twelve years prior to George's death.

cos

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2006, 06:27:50 PM »
Dunphy has some credentials appropriate to the intended book about George.Firstly he played for Man Utd as a young player with George.Secondly he is an alcoholic himself and knows where George was coming from .Actually I find him a very fair man in his opinions and a very eloquent writer.

giannineo

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2006, 10:48:29 PM »
George Best was one of the greatest footballers ever....ask Pele !
     We all have skeletons in our cupboards but largely get away with them because of our lack of fame.
      Can we not just remember him for his football?How much of the George Best negativity is relayed to us by the media....how reliable is the media?Alcoholism is to be pitied and not scorned.
        O.K.,HE DID SOME WRONG THINGS(AND ON HIS OWN ADMISSION) .bUT DID SOME PRETTY GOOD THINGS ALSO.
                   Hero and perhaps villain;but just remember the football.

joskillen

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2006, 06:26:50 AM »
I can only imagine the hurt his father and mother must have gone through feeling powerless to help their son.It's too bad people can't handle prosperity or fame for that matter. They believe they are a cut above all the rest of us and to that end alcoholism is the same for a rich man as a poor man .I left Ireland for Canada  in
1967. I knew his father Dickie really well he loved the sing song at the Ulster Vaults on Saturday nights.Geordie didn't learn the heavy drinking from his father ,the man never had more than 2 drinks over the course of the night. Lovely wee man and polite and courteous ,one thing Geordie came by honestly.

joskillen

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2006, 06:27:59 AM »
I can only imagine the hurt his father and mother must have gone through feeling powerless to help their son.It's too bad people can't handle prosperity or fame for that matter. They believe they are a cut above all the rest of us and to that end alcoholism is the same for a rich man as a poor man .I left Ireland for Canada  in
1967. I knew his father Dickie really well he loved the sing song at the Ulster Vaults on Saturday nights.Geordie didn't learn the heavy drinking from his father ,the man never had more than 2 drinks over the course of the night. Lovely wee man and polite and courteous ,one thing Geordie came by honestly.

Christopher

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2006, 06:53:45 AM »
Hiya joskillen, I can think of a great many extremely talented Ulster sporting personalities who are more than capable of handling both fame and prosperity as well as their drink. They are good at handling members of the media too so they are respected by them. They rarely hit the headlines on the front pages but regularly hit the headlines on the sporting pages at the back of the paper.