Author Topic: They call him the Belfast Boy.  (Read 10989 times)

joskillen

Re: They call him the Belfast Boy.
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2006, 08:43:19 PM »
Sorry I said ( people) should have said( Geordie) couldn't handle prosperity and fame .  It happens to the odd hockey players here in Canada .They have too much time on their hands outside of the actual games I think .
Belfast Giants has one of our (drunks ) playing for them or at least that's where he went originally( Theron Fleury)
Great hockey player ,but the drink and drugs started to interfere with his game. Doesn't seem to affect their game until they get past their prime . For athletes in soccer and hockey that seems to be betweeen 35 - 40.
Although the ones who look after their health can still play a great game well past that age.

Conall

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2006, 08:27:09 PM »
Mageeka, get out more, look up Meginnis on Google you get nothing, look up George Best and it turns up 217,000,000 results. Ask Pele who his favourite football player is and he will tell you George Best. None of us our perfect but hardly any of us have talent like George Best!

Christopher

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2006, 09:11:29 PM »
That's funny. I googled George best and got 376,000,000 :D

Mageeka

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2006, 10:46:13 PM »
Conall
Yep
They are naming an airport after Best a man who made a fortune ,but it took 52 years for Meginnis to get recognition from his own city's people
BTW
I do get out a lot and the best was getting out and away from  city of Belfast , A city where some of its inhabititants, cannot see thru that long narrow tunnel

Christopher

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2006, 02:37:54 AM »
I have a funny feeling in doing a google search for George Best and getting millions of results it's possible they included many other guys named George and lots of sentences containing the word Best which are all totally irrelevent :D If you believe the figures you got Conall you'll believe anything. Now if he had been called Besty or Bestio and you were able to search one word the result would be slightly more accurate.

beegee

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2006, 03:36:02 AM »
mageeka---- with all respect-----there is a big difference tween a sports star and a war hero ....war  hereos are soon forgotten--they still talk of Don Bradman.Stanley Matthews... Jack Dempsey  ...Sir Malcolm Campbell to name a few
          I do agree with your sentiments re the city of Belfast  .NOT       recognising Mc Guiness.  and the reason for that is "sticking out a mile"!!!! 
        As a wartime merchant seaman- and even as a Prod---I was utterly  disgusted then ,with his non recognition !!!!but then i dont have to back to that era for a similar issue------the non recognition of Wayne Mc Culloughs team mate when the Irish team won a gold and silver at the Barcelona Olympics  Mc Cullough and Carruth, his irish boxing team mate were feted in Dublin upon his return and on his arrival in Belfast the Belfast City council put a welcome home dinner for McCullough------without Carruth!   How friggen childish can you get?

Christopher

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2006, 04:16:27 AM »
beegee, I hope some of those councillors read your words. As you say ... childish. Heck beegee don't insult kids like that as most of them would have more intelligence in their little fingers than those particular Belfast City Councillors had between their two ears. Jockey Tony McCoy had the wit to refuse an honour in Ballymena a few years ago because of political bickering by adults who are old enough to know better ... "I made the arrangements" "No you so and so I made the arrangements" Who cares who made the arrangements. Another Council making right fools of themselves. Tony is a gentleman who did not want to become a political trophy so he politely said "No thank you" whilst the parties continued their bickering. 

Mageeka

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2006, 05:29:40 PM »
Guys
I know this bloody crap goes both ways. A good example was the refusal of the G A A to not permit the RUC gaelic football to play on their pitches
Was that ever changed ?
I remember being on a bus to the Kings hall, to watch Freddy  Gilroy fight an Italian guy.
Well I asked the gent beside me, " Who do you famcy?"

"His reply which follows shocked me

He replied.
I know they are both Mickies, but I hope Freddy gets his head knocked off!"

Will it ever leave us Guys ?

Kaycee

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2006, 06:23:25 PM »
I'm a scouser of Irish parents (one from the north and one from the south) who has been living in Belfast for three years now. I don't think anything will change until the chain of hate from parents to children is broken. I remember watching the Holy Cross school incident on TV with horror. The majority of those lining the route to the school, hurling abuse at small children ,were women with their own children at their feet. Until this circle is broken the [censored] will continue

Mageeka

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2006, 07:32:28 PM »
I think Kaycee is to all remember, that both sides, are capable of the hatred. for us not to admit  this, then we ourselves are continuing the chain of hatred

Christopher

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2006, 08:03:04 PM »
It's a tricky one lads. How do you go about breaking a chain of hatred. It's like an addiction which is extremely hard to give up. You call it a chain. Chains can be broken at the weak points. You have to put something in it's place too. Tell me ... did all branches of the Christian faith attend the meetings Billy Graham held in the King's Hall?

Mageeka

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2006, 08:57:36 PM »
I ayyended Billys crusade in London in the early 60s
Excellent !

pentio

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2006, 11:46:22 PM »
well thought i would have my say. .George best  .what a wonderful footballer the greatest that ever lived. .he was such an entertainer  ..yes he had his faults just like the rest of us. .at the end of the day none of us is perfect....

pentio.

Christopher

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2006, 10:17:39 AM »
Because George Best was so well liked by all the people of Northern Ireland.

Who says? I object to your phraseology all the people of Northern Ireland as it is incorrect. I am a person of Northern Ireland. Was there a poll by the Belfast Telegraph? That poll would not have shown 100% Was the question on the census form? Where is such information obtained regarding who "all" the people of Northern Ireland like or dislike? Government Statistics? Could I get the info from the NI office? I think it's another case of assumptions being made. BTW I mean no offence to George's family. The questions should be asked about every sweeping statement that is made. .. we are not sheep and should never accept sweeping statements.

AL CAPONE

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2006, 10:47:04 AM »
well said chris