Author Topic: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG  (Read 28665 times)

arder lavery

DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG
« on: February 08, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
for those of us who moved overseas, i would like to hear from those of us who had no idea that we were going to go away for so long. time fly's.
we came to australia on the 10 pound scheme, sounded great, going around the world for 10 quid, wow. and just for 2 years. then the reality kicked in, if you didn't like it, you had to pay your own way home and also the fare for coming out. lots of money. so after two years, no one i met had the money to go home, so you saved and saved, and by the time you saved some money, it was too late, you were intrenched in living in a new country and decided to go home some time later.
well, now its been 45 years and im still dreaming of going home for good.
just wont happen, now that the children  have grown up and we have the grandchilren to think about. ah well, its just a wee thought that goes through my mind.
iv'e heard of missing the boat,
well, we missed the boat !
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

ormeau bap

Re: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »
No, I told me MA I'll be back in a year. I just want to see America.Well fifty years later I'm still here .No regrets,I love the usa.

belle

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »
i never thought i'd be still here either.  :( i always planned to go home again to live, but my grandchildren came along and i'm stuck. I ache sometimes with home sickness :(
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

canada now

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:20:02 PM »
I left june 23 1975 and my life is made here mind you every year around this time when we are up to our uxters in snow and have temps in the minus 30s i wonder why i didnt take the ten quid aussie deal anyway only a couple of months and it will be warm again roll on the plus 30s

Moonlight

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »
i never thought i'd be still here either.  :( i always planned to go home again to live, but my grandchildren came along and i'm stuck. I ache sometimes with home sickness :(
Same here Belle, we're away 40 years this year.   I was so homesick the first year, I used to cry and want to go home.  I always thought we would go back.
Now 4 kids and 7 grandchildren later, I have more reasons to stay here. We always went back every two years, so Belfast is  second home to my kids.    Since the parents are gone now, we don't go back so often, but about every 4 or 5 years, with a couple of flying visits for a couple of days for family celebrations in between. :-*
Once sent out a word takes wing beyond recall

canada now

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
where did you guys end up

Moonlight

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 08:26:12 PM »
where did you guys end up
England,  so not too far to travel home. :-*

bluebird

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »
Moonlight, Belle, 3 different relatives of mine, when I was young, asked my mum could they bring me to Australia with them , answer, NO..being the oldest, mum said she needed my working money..now for the first time in my life, reading all your posts, I am glad I stayed, it's not a bad place, all the time..xx
Hard Times,Bad times,Or Rough times.... I Still Have Faith in God.

canada now

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »
although i am now a canadian and proud of it Belfast is still my old home sure there was a lot of crap going on when i left but one has to consider where all that came from believe it or not in canada there are orange halls all across the country but nobody cares here thank god religion is for the most part nobody elses business but your own and not only that but were i moved to you could walk anywhere at night and not worry

Moonlight

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »
Moonlight, Belle, 3 different relatives of mine, when I was young, asked my mum could they bring me to Australia with them , answer, NO..being the oldest, mum said she needed my working money..now for the first time in my life, reading all your posts, I am glad I stayed, it's not a bad place, all the time..xx
Home is where the heart is Bluebird and Belfast will always be my home, no matter how long I have been away.  That doesn't mean I am unhappy now or don't like where I live.  I don't really get homesick anymore but I love going home again. :-*

bluebird

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »
Home is where the heart is Bluebird and Belfast will always be my home, no matter how long I have been away.  That doesn't mean I am unhappy now or don't like where I live.  I don't really get homesick anymore but I love going home again. :-*
Your right, love, home is where the heart is...belfast...xxxx
Hard Times,Bad times,Or Rough times.... I Still Have Faith in God.

Moonlight

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »
Your right, love, home is where the heart is...belfast...xxxx
O0 :-*

Moonlight

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »
although i am now a canadian and proud of it Belfast is still my old home sure there was a lot of crap going on when i left but one has to consider where all that came from believe it or not in canada there are orange halls all across the country but nobody cares here thank god religion is for the most part nobody elses business but your own and not only that but were i moved to you could walk anywhere at night and not worry
Same here, we left the year of the worst killings and it was like going to another world, where you could go out and not worry about anything.   The people didn't care and still don't what religion anybody was.   It took a while before we relaxed again and I remember jumping one day when a car backfired.  I thought it was somebody shooting. :D 

geraldine williamson

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 09:26:35 PM »

Hello Canada now, Hi there, My sister-in-law and families moved to Canada, Camaloops. She and her husband however died unfortunatey within 5 years of moving, but her 2 sons and daughters are still living there and making a good living as well.  They love it.  They moved in the early 70's.  One of their daughters opened an Irish Dancing School named TARA, and is now  adjudicating in all the events.  "Tara" seems to be very popular and is growing stronger by the year. They go all over the country performing.  What part of Canada did you move to?  Sounds like a utopia.    Cheers Gerry in Coventry.

canada now

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 09:28:44 PM »
where did you end up funny story similar to you backfire i was in a car dealer ship in kingston ontario when an old boy hit the gas pedal instead of the brake and came through the showroom window i jumped over the sales persons desk thinking it was a bomb thank god i have acclimatised i think i'm too old to move that fast or perform the gymnastics

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy