Author Topic: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG  (Read 16017 times)

Burlington

Re: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »
Been in Canada 15 yrs, gotta say love it. Miss the family and Belfast as you do, but no intention of going home. I either go home or have people over every year so don't feel too disconnected. The oul having to fly to Dublin can be annoying, flying direct to Belfast was so much easier esp when flying with kids.

margaret stewart

« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »
Same here ,left Belfast  1960 ,always planned to go back just never seem to happen, still miss the old place

Kraffy

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2017, 02:02:28 PM »
Been in Australia for over 50 years and never been back to Belfast.  No wish to now. Australia is my home.

misssmyth1

« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
The very second I arrived in London age 19 I knew I never wanted to live in Belfast again.. I left because of the troubles .. i was fortunate that i chose to come away and was not forced out...I am glad that I was born and brought up in Belfast with a loving family and relatives but there was nothing there for me ,no prospects and the 'troubles' was just the icing on the cake... a year or so after I left two people I knew well and considered good friends were killed.. it only made me more determined to live my life and do as well as I could in every way... I have never been 'homesick' but knew people who were and I respected that ,they chose to go  back to Belfast.. girls were expected to just get married and have a family ..when i asked for promotion in a company where i was standing in for the 'boss' who didn't come back( and  I was doing a good job)    i was told "sure you'll be getting married and having wee babies soon"  a man got the job and expected me to show him 'the ropes'...   another good reason to leave the place...We should all do what is best for us. and If I had have  listened to people I wouldn't have done half the things that i have done.. It is a big privilege  to have freedom of choice ,,something I did not have in Belfast ..who would have known that 'the troubles' would have gone on for so very long.. i feel for
everyone who wants/ wanted to go back and were homesick, but we are all on our own individual journeys in life and whats right for one is not right for another..I miss nothing about Belfast,.maybe it is because i left so young alone and the majority of my life has been spent elsewhere...and its been and is a good life...and I am very grateful for it...i might have been out with my friends who were murdered ..

Blueflulew

« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2017, 11:58:43 PM »
I left to go to sea in 1969, went back in 72 and stayed for just over a year, spent 43 at sea and now live in France, only reason is Family & grand daughter. Do occassionally get back over as I love the road racing. I will come home I have no doubt of that. Truth be told in my heart I never left the place.

bangorreg

« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2017, 06:03:12 AM »

I left to go to sea in 1969, went back in 72 and stayed for just over a year, spent 43 at sea and now live in France, only reason is Family & grand daughter. Do occassionally get back over as I love the road racing. I will come home I have no doubt of that. Truth be told in my heart I never left the place.
-
  I left Ireland in 1955 and went to my aunt  in Australia, after some time I went to New Caledonia and am still here, we have one thing  in common and that is  the French language..
Reg
thai thyme

JohnKelly

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2021, 07:22:31 AM »
Came across this old topic as I browsed back through the archives; sad to see that most of the contributing members no long post messages but very interesting to read their comments.

My answer to the question, 'Did You Ever Think You Would Be Away This Long' is a big YES!!

Whilst I am very proud of my Irish heritage and have an interest in the Irish Diaspora there is NO WAY I would have wanted to return to sectarian Northern Ireland.

Our children/grandchildren were born in Australia have done very well for themselves and are true Aussies and I often think how they would have been living in Belfast which would have been through the late 1960's onwards.

Dommmo

« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2021, 07:31:23 PM »
Came across this old topic as I browsed back through the archives; sad to see that most of the contributing members no long post messages but very interesting to read their comments.

My answer to the question, 'Did You Ever Think You Would Be Away This Long' is a big YES!!

Whilst I am very proud of my Irish heritage and have an interest in the Irish Diaspora there is NO WAY I would have wanted to return to sectarian Northern Ireland.

Our children/grandchildren were born in Australia have done very well for themselves and are true Aussies and I often think how they would have been living in Belfast which would have been through the late 1960's onwards.
with me it wasnít just the sectarianism, it was the artificiality of the place. 35 + years in California and Iím lucky, I get to visit Ireland every year ( every non covid year that is)
From Belfast, Ireland
COVID Status "unclean! unclean!"

JohnKelly

« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2021, 12:36:28 AM »
with me it wasnít just the sectarianism, it was the artificiality of the place. 35 + years in California and Iím lucky, I get to visit Ireland every year ( every non covid year that is)

I guess that is why a lot of people left Ireland to settle in the USA and Canada given that they are just across the pond in comparison to Australia and New Zealand.

We have been back to the UK and Ireland a couple of times over the years and enjoyed the tour but in terms of overseas travel that is it for us.

Our ambition was to tour parts of the USA and Canada but no thanks, given the current situation we ain't leaving The Land Down Under. :)

stickleback

« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2021, 11:26:35 PM »
The very second I arrived in London age 19 I knew I never wanted to live in Belfast again.. I left because of the troubles .. i was fortunate that i chose to come away and was not forced out...I am glad that I was born and brought up in Belfast with a loving family and relatives but there was nothing there for me ,no prospects and the 'troubles' was just the icing on the cake... a year or so after I left two people I knew well and considered good friends were killed.. it only made me more determined to live my life and do as well as I could in every way... I have never been 'homesick' but knew people who were and I respected that ,they chose to go  back to Belfast.. girls were expected to just get married and have a family ..when i asked for promotion in a company where i was standing in for the 'boss' who didn't come back( and  I was doing a good job)    i was told "sure you'll be getting married and having wee babies soon"  a man got the job and expected me to show him 'the ropes'...   another good reason to leave the place...We should all do what is best for us. and If I had have  listened to people I wouldn't have done half the things that i have done.. It is a big privilege  to have freedom of choice ,,something I did not have in Belfast ..who would have known that 'the troubles' would have gone on for so very long.. i feel for
everyone who wants/ wanted to go back and were homesick, but we are all on our own individual journeys in life and whats right for one is not right for another..I miss nothing about Belfast,.maybe it is because i left so young alone and the majority of my life has been spent elsewhere...and its been and is a good life...and I am very grateful for it...i might have been out with my friends who were murdered ..

Great post as ever, Missy.

I've never felt homesick either. 31 yrs in London. It's only an hours flight away, yet I've only been back twice in twenty years, for days at a time. Yet, with the advent of t'internet, I am probably a lot more informed about what is going on and who is making decisions etc than a lot of residents. I'm always interested in what is going on in Belfast. A lot of the streets where my grandparents grew up are gone now, as are two of the schools I attended. I will definitely go back to Belfast as soon as I can after lockdown. I always got a feeling of being 'at home' there, unlike anywhere else, which is saying something when you have travelled something like 25 countries. That sense of place. It isn't even about people.

JohnKelly

« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2021, 12:32:11 AM »

Great post as ever, Missy.

I've never felt homesick either. 31 yrs in London. It's only an hours flight away, yet I've only been back twice in twenty years, for days at a time. Yet, with the advent of t'internet, I am probably a lot more informed about what is going on and who is making decisions etc than a lot of residents. I'm always interested in what is going on in Belfast. A lot of the streets where my grandparents grew up are gone now, as are two of the schools I attended. I will definitely go back to Belfast as soon as I can after lockdown. I always got a feeling of being 'at home' there, unlike anywhere else, which is saying something when you have travelled something like 25 countries. That sense of place. It isn't even about people.

Yes I agree stickleback, a great post by Miss Smyth albeit that it was dated August 30 2017.

A comment in her post that drew my attention was how she failed to get the job because she was a female; thankfully those days are over; well it is in the areas I had experience in and that was military and police, for I remember the days when a female had to resign once she got married. These days they are granted maternity leave and hold top positions in commerce, government and the military.

Cheers

O0

Dommmo

« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2021, 06:48:28 PM »
I guess that is why a lot of people left Ireland to settle in the USA and Canada given that they are just across the pond in comparison to Australia and New Zealand.

We have been back to the UK and Ireland a couple of times over the years and enjoyed the tour but in terms of overseas travel that is it for us.

Our ambition was to tour parts of the USA and Canada but no thanks, given the current situation we ain't leaving The Land Down Under. :)
Many of us were fortunate to land somewhere very nice!!
From Belfast, Ireland
COVID Status "unclean! unclean!"

JohnKelly

« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2021, 11:03:14 AM »
Many of us were fortunate to land somewhere very nice!!

Yes indeed Dommmo, I have an interest in the Irish Diaspora and it is with great interest I read of the influence the Irish had in the development of the new countries.

barry.lewis

« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2021, 05:57:36 PM »
Every night before I go to sleep I look at a photograph of my long passed mother , and I hear her say  Go home son Belfast is your  home not Essex , been away fifty years now,
 72  and unhappy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uI87DoiEEM
It's all gone very quick

JohnKelly

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2021, 11:28:16 PM »
Every night before I go to sleep I look at a photograph of my long passed mother , and I hear her say  Go home son Belfast is your  home not Essex , been away fifty years now,
 72  and unhappy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uI87DoiEEM

Why are you unhappy?