Author Topic: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG  (Read 15754 times)

canada now

Re: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »
Kamloops a great town been there lots and enjoyed it

Moonlight

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »
where did you end up funny story similar to you backfire i was in a car dealer ship in kingston ontario when an old boy hit the gas pedal instead of the brake and came through the showroom window i jumped over the sales persons desk thinking it was a bomb thank god i have acclimatised i think i'm too old to move that fast or perform the gymnastics
:D  I think we were all nervous wrecks. 
Once sent out a word takes wing beyond recall

kraftcheese

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:33 AM »
I moved to Australia in 1967,  aged 19 with my parents, fiance and sisters and brother.  To me it was a big adventure and I thought we'd probably be back in two years.  We were all very homesick at first and missed everything about home, but got used to it.  I married and had my two children and we all settled in.  Went home in 1973 and was shocked at what was happening and was glad I was coming back to Australia. Anyway, here I am still 47 years later and I love it here - really love it.  I've been home twice more and although I loved N. Iron and had a great time there, I'm always happy to come back to Oz.  Now I'm retired and live in a tiny country town and I can go to bed and leave the windows and doors wide open to cool the house down at night and I know I'll be safe.
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

Alaun

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:41 AM »
When we left Belfast in 1973, with 5 children, my mother-in-law said "Ill never see you again" we said we would go for the two tears to see what it was like. Well she died a year after we came here to Australia. My husband could'nt go back for her funeral (even if we could have afforded it) because he would have had to pay not on his fare back, but the whole of the family as well.

Alaun

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 01:09:35 AM »
*only*

kraftcheese

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 01:25:19 AM »
When we left Belfast in 1973, with 5 children, my mother-in-law said "Ill never see you again" we said we would go for the two tears to see what it was like. Well she died a year after we came here to Australia. My husband could'nt go back for her funeral (even if we could have afforded it) because he would have had to pay not on his fare back, but the whole of the family as well.
Alaun, after only a year, none of us would have been able to go as the airfares back then from Australia were horrendous.  Very sad for your husband.  My mother moved back to Belfast after my father died here in 1979, and when she died in 1988 I wasn't able to go home for her funeral either for family reasons.  It can be very hard being on the far side of the planet.  :(

belle

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:50 AM »
I hate the it here. i am happy in my marriage and with my family, I'm even happy with my job (most of the time) but i want to go home. I have been away 40 years. I don't get home as often as i would like. i have no family there so i have to stay in hotels and b&b an that makes it  different.   
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

sandymc

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »
like kraftcheese we left in 1967 with two small children and my said husband look on it as a two year holiday and if we dont like we will go back . we were homesick at first but soon settled in and after a holiday back in belfast in 1970 we realised we had made the right decision and then had another child an australian
i still think of the belfast of our younger years with great fondness and although i am now widowed i still have the children and grandchildren and now a great grandson and also like kc i live in a country town in western australia where we know most everybody and we also can leave the doors and windows unlocked  i have every door and window opened now trying to get a breeze to blow through as it has been 40 degrees today
kc it is going to be 40 and over for the next 4 days hope you are looking forward to it :-*

arder lavery

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »
I hate the it here. i am happy in my marriage and with my family, I'm even happy with my job (most of the time) but i want to go home. I have been away 40 years. I don't get home as often as i would like. i have no family there so i have to stay in hotels and b&b an that makes it  different.
belle i understand your predicament exactly.
my wifes mum passed away 4 weeks ago, the few times we went back we stayed with her. although my wife has other family there, it would be very inconvenient to ask to stay.
so now if we ever get the chance to go back, it just wouldn't be the same, especially living in a strange house. but.
the good thing is that nearly every night i get to go home on the forum.
we recently moved to the gold coast here in australia and i really dont like the place or the people.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

belle

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »
or arder, i'm so sorry you feel like that. It's awful to be living in a place you hate.  :-* :-*
Sure, i always think when i win the lottery i'll go home an buy a wee flat in the town and spend time there when every i want. Mind you i'll have to play the lottery first!
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

canada now

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 04:56:20 PM »
i think if i won the lottery id be tempted to move where the only ice i need to worry about is in my drink. we just got 2 feet of snow last night and its taken me 2 hrs to snow blow out my drive way mind you a wee trip to belfast wouldn't be out of the question. i've read in several posts about the big snow fall of 63 i was there and when i think of it i laugh if i remember the whole city was at a stand still we get that much snow almost regularily but its just a way of life in the Ottawa valley

kraftcheese

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 12:09:02 AM »
like kraftcheese we left in 1967 with two small children and my said husband look on it as a two year holiday and if we dont like we will go back . we were homesick at first but soon settled in and after a holiday back in belfast in 1970 we realised we had made the right decision and then had another child an australian
i still think of the belfast of our younger years with great fondness and although i am now widowed i still have the children and grandchildren and now a great grandson and also like kc i live in a country town in western australia where we know most everybody and we also can leave the doors and windows unlocked  i have every door and window opened now trying to get a breeze to blow through as it has been 40 degrees today
kc it is going to be 40 and over for the next 4 days hope you are looking forward to it :-*

Hi Sandy, Well I'll be there tomorrow.  :dance1: :yahoo: :dance: The 40C doesn't bother me as I'm well used to it and the house and cars are air-conditioned.  I love the size of the country and the freedom of knowing I can get in the car and drive on the open road endlessly.  I have very fond memories too of my 19 years growing up in Belfast and will always treasure them, but I'm very happy where I am.
Arder and Belle, it is hard when there's nobody left in Belfast any more.  I still have a sister there and cousins that I can stay with.  Arder, hope the Gold Coast grows on you in time.  :-* :-*
Canada Now, the only ice I have to worry about is the ice in my drinks and I like it that way.  :D   I really hate ice and am scared stiff of it as we had a near-miss in my dad's car in N. Iron when I was 12.  Where I live in Victoria, I can reach the alpine mountains in  90 minutes if I feel the need to see some snow in our winter, but I rarely go.   ;) :D

canadian sodafarl

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »

Hi Sandy, Well I'll be there tomorrow.  :dance1: :yahoo: :dance: The 40C doesn't bother me as I'm well used to it and the house and cars are air-conditioned.  I love the size of the country and the freedom of knowing I can get in the car and drive on the open road endlessly.  I have very fond memories too of my 19 years growing up in Belfast and will always treasure them, but I'm very happy where I am.
Arder and Belle, it is hard when there's nobody left in Belfast any more.  I still have a sister there and cousins that I can stay with.  Arder, hope the Gold Coast grows on you in time.  :-* :-*
Canada Now, the only ice I have to worry about is the ice in my drinks and I like it that way.  :D   I really hate ice and am scared stiff of it as we had a near-miss in my dad's car in N. Iron when I was 12.  Where I live in Victoria, I can reach the alpine mountains in  90 minutes if I feel the need to see some snow in our winter, but I rarely go.   ;) :D

Hi Sandra we came to Canada in 1975 just for 5 years we had two little ones and her we are 2013 and still here. This is home now but i love to get back to Belfast to see my Family both sets of Parents are gone but i have a large family so lot of people to see. My accent has changed much i am asked all the time where i come from after all these years. CSF.

kraftcheese

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 12:54:49 AM »
Morning CSF, I think it's great that your sister still lives in the family home you grew up in, and when you go home, it's really HOME.   :)   When I went home 18 months ago, I had to just loiter around my old house and try to look at it casually without making people think I was casing the joint.  :D 

canadian sodafarl

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2013, 01:11:17 AM »
Morning CSF, I think it's great that your sister still lives in the family home you grew up in, and when you go home, it's really HOME.   :)   When I went home 18 months ago, I had to just loiter around my old house and try to look at it casually without making people think I was casing the joint.  :D

Hi Sandra, When i am home and walk up the Cres i always think of your family when i pass the house. It is amazing the memories it brings back just walking up Clonduff and Tullyard i always say to Ray remember so and so that lived there we get to talking about all the people that lived there and wondering about them.
Emma was great about remembering the names of all the people i really miss her and our wee chats. CSF.