Author Topic: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG  (Read 28666 times)

kraftcheese

Re: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 02:41:44 AM »
                             Hi Sandra, When i am home and walk up the Cres i always think of your family when i pass the house. It is amazing the memories it brings back just walking up Clonduff and Tullyard i always say to Ray remember so and so that lived there we get to talking about all the people that lived there and wondering about them.
Emma was great about remembering the names of all the people i really miss her and our wee chats. CSF.

I can still hear Emma's laugh ringing out.  You and I both miss our sisters Liz.  :-*   Happy memories. Give Ray my regards.
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

Sally Ann

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 02:42:11 AM »

I think that the sentiments expressed by most of the Ex-Pats on here, are, or can be, condensed within  the following song.

In essence, it must sum-up, what ALL Irish people must feel at some stage when they leave this land.

I know, for me, I have a lump in my throat, each time I hear it sung, thinking of those who left, and had the idea, or, impression, that, to return home would be easy.  But sure, it wasn't. :(

http://youtu.be/LUNMQMBvf1I
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

canadian sodafarl

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 03:05:40 AM »
I think that the sentiments expressed by most of the Ex-Pats on here, are, or can be, condensed within  the following song.

In essence, it must sum-up, what ALL Irish people must feel at some stage when they leave this land.

I know, for me, I have a lump in my throat, each time I hear it sung, thinking of those who left, and had the idea, or, impression, that, to return home would be easy.  But sure, it wasn't. :(

http://youtu.be/LUNMQMBvf1I

Thank-you for posting that i did have a lump in my throat. I feel blessed that i have been able to get back often to see my family they have also traveled her to to visit us
now with skype we can talk to them as well as see them. Remember when we only thought that seeing someone when talking on the phone was a fantasy wow high five for technology. CSF.

canadian sodafarl

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 03:10:19 AM »

I can still hear Emma's laugh ringing out.  You and I both miss our sisters Liz.  :-*   Happy memories. Give Ray my regards.

When David & I were in the Curzon we would hear this big laugh and David would say your sister is here. Everyone knew her by her laugh My Brother Freddies Daughter has a big laugh like Emma and she is famous for it too.
I would be talking to someone and they would say i heard Alison on the Golf course didn't see her but knew it was her by her laugh. CSF

kraftcheese

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 03:12:10 AM »
Hi SallyAnn, Yes that song really does hit the spot.  :-*  You have to remember though that after the first few years of homesickness, most of us are very happy in our adopted countries.  My sister, my niece, and one of my cousins and an uncle from back home, and my sister from Toronto, have all visited us out in Oz.  It's when there's illness or death of family members back home, we feel it very much if we're not able to go.  It really is A Long Way from Clare to Here.  :-*

kraftcheese

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 03:22:06 AM »

Thank-you for posting that i did have a lump in my throat. I feel blessed that i have been able to get back often to see my family they have also traveled her to to visit us
now with skype we can talk to them as well as see them. Remember when we only thought that seeing someone when talking on the phone was a fantasy wow high five for technology. CSF.

Remember the days when the only means of communication was the blue airmail letters?  Oh, the happiness we felt when there was one in the mailbox.  Word from home!  A 30-minute phone call to my sisters in Belfast or Toronto used to cost $50.  Now it's very, very little and I chat to them for up to two hours.  And Skype - well, what would we do without it?  Love modern technology!  :dance1: O0

peter mc caffrey

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 03:28:27 AM »
i've been gone forty years,i love going home ,nothing like the good old days my plan is to steal the recipe for veda bread and bring it back to the usa ,and become millionaire,live in bahamas ,buy a house on the malone ,just a place to stay when i come home .thats all i want .

canadian sodafarl

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 03:52:35 AM »
i've been gone forty years,i love going home ,nothing like the good old days my plan is to steal the recipe for veda bread and bring it back to the usa ,and become millionaire,live in bahamas ,buy a house on the malone ,just a place to stay when i come home .thats all i want .

I just went into my recipe box to find my veda loaf recipe ha ha. Bet i get to the million before you i have been in Canada 38 years and just love going to Belfast. All i want is one of those appartments on the Lagan and i will need to bake a lot of Vedas to buy one. CSF

canadian sodafarl

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 03:56:41 AM »

Remember the days when the only means of communication was the blue airmail letters?  Oh, the happiness we felt when there was one in the mailbox.  Word from home!  A 30-minute phone call to my sisters in Belfast or Toronto used to cost $50.  Now it's very, very little and I chat to them for up to two hours.  And Skype - well, what would we do without it?  Love modern technology!  :dance1: O0

Oh Sandra i lived for those blue air mails my mom & David,s Mom wrote to us every week that was my life line for the first few years. The kids even got to know what they were when the Mail came bills were thrown to the side and it was ripped open.

kraftcheese

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 04:04:40 AM »
        I just went into my recipe box to find my veda loaf recipe ha ha. Bet i get to the million before you i have been in Canada 38 years and just love going to Belfast. All i want is one of those appartments on the Lagan and i will need to bake a lot of Vedas to buy one. CSF

I'm afraid Melbourne to Belfast is such an unbearable journey for me - from leaving home to getting to Belfast can be anything up to 36 hours, with stops somewhere in Asia or the Middle East, and then having to change planes in England or Scotland.  I don't sleep on planes, so it's a real ordeal.  That's why I've only ever done the trip three times in 47 years.

Peter, you're not the only one who wants the recipe for Veda bread.  :D  Whereabouts in the US are you?

Sally Ann

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 04:06:26 AM »
Sure, no matter what, yer hearts are still here in the Aul Sod.

God bless. :angel: :smitten: ;)
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

Alaun

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 06:17:25 AM »
I have been back quite often, since my husband died in 1990. I used to stay with family at first, but I now rent out a cottage in Bangor, and so am able to come and go as I please. It helps that I lived in Bangor for 12 years before we came here, so have quite a few friends I can go and see. Sadly no relations in Bangor any more. I also rent a car from the City airport, and leave it back there when I leave. It makes for a better holiday if you're more independent.   I always felt I was in the way when I stayed with relatives, and no matter how good they are, you still have to let them know what you'll be doing, so they can plan their day too.   

cyprus girl

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 07:20:32 AM »
We came to Vancouver in '69 Jim arrived first and 4mths later he sent for me,we were engaged and getting married in Vancouver. Jim is there at the airport waiting anxiously for his bride to be to arrive, well out the door I come, eyes swollen from crying for nine hours on a plane, :'( I see Jim my fiance whom I haven't seen for 4mths and I rush into his arms and I say I hate this place I want to go home, so far i've only seen the airport!! I think he was expecting me to say I love you, I missed you, i'm so glad to be here in your arms but noooo :o . He whispered in my ear "Breda just stay for 2 weeks and i'll send you home okay" so I agreed to that. He lied to me, it was 2yrs before he sent me home with our son who was 11mths old at the time, I was home for 5 weeks and after one week I missed him so much I couldn't wait to get back to Vancouver ;D  Anyway 44yrs later we have 2 great kids who are our treasures, a daughter inlaw who we love to bits, a son inlaw that you couldn't ask for better and 6 beautiful  gr'kids that melt our hearts, it doesn't get any better than this. :clapping:  Having said all that I still love going home to Belfast :-*  oh and btw I love this forum :yahoo: 
Queenio, queenio who's got the ball-eo

belle

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »

thanks for the song Sally Ann, yes for me that's about it :girl_cray: i never had any intentions of settling here. It wasn't to bad when my mammy and daddy were alive but now they've gone i hate it more and more. I'm grateful for all it's given me but it's not home :girl_cray: :girl_cray:
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

kraftcheese

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »

Sally Ann, the world has got a lot smaller and we don't seem nearly so remote and isolated any more.  It's wonderful how we can chat to each other now at the click of a button and stay in touch with friends and family. Thanks for the song.  :-* :-*

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy