Author Topic: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG  (Read 16018 times)

Dommo

Re: DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD BE AWAY THIS LONG
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2013, 03:46:49 PM »
I'm not really posting a reply. Just checked my email, nothing from Belfast Forum! (sniff-sniff) saw I had 'Junk' checked it >:D  and there were three from Belfast Forum!!!!!   Not happy. Putting Belfast Forum in the same category as appeals from my Nigerian Ancestors, telling me I have inherited   $20,000,000 and could I please give my Bank details so they can deposit my windfall,    goes beyond the pale.  What can I do about this???? :(
list yer bank details here.
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Kateme

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »
Belle I hear what you are saying. .I cant even have a whiskey I end up thinking of home and crying hate it here in  the USA  :(
and I cant stand the American BS
Gee, why don't you go back to NI then?  Why be miserable?   ???
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

Rose P

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »
Ive been away from home 45 years.not so far as australia an canada but far enough.I always said i would retire back to belfast but my Children are here and now ive a wee grandchild in canada.but my heart is always in belfast and i have to go back on a regular basis.

arder lavery

« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2013, 09:59:45 AM »
Ive been away from home 45 years.not so far as australia an canada but far enough.I always said i would retire back to belfast but my Children are here and now ive a wee grandchild in canada.but my heart is always in belfast and i have to go back on a regular basis.
me too, im trying to organize a bank robbery so i can get home again soon
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Rose P

« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
Arder.For the first few years when it was not safe to go home.It was torture.The first time i went back was great but i felt like a kid again as many places and people were off limits.I would dearly love to retire home but seeing children and grandchildren are top priority.may i suggest a wee holiday cottage.I have started the search for one.I have family all over the province so there would always be someone to look after it.At least it gives more freedom and scope than staying with family.Its awful being homesick Arder and i do hope you get something sorted.

Dommo

« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
Arder.For the first few years when it was not safe to go home.It was torture.The first time i went back was great but i felt like a kid again as many places and people were off limits.I would dearly love to retire home but seeing children and grandchildren are top priority.may i suggest a wee holiday cottage.I have started the search for one.I have family all over the province so there would always be someone to look after it.At least it gives more freedom and scope than staying with family.Its awful being homesick Arder and i do hope you get something sorted.
that was our own too but we discovered there is a whole underworld (lol) of " home exchange" programmers where you can swap a house for a week or two. We have an advantage here being a popular destination.
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

RobRoy

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
me too, im trying to organize a bank robbery so i can get home again soon

arder, this oul travellin bone is like a snail   I carry my home with me. Memories are simply that "memories". I am fascinated as to how I managed to get through to-day, all my life has been a case of winging it and dealing with things as they pop up. Our son told his mother the same thing a couple of weeks ago and she nearly freaked. To me I have never been anywhere but home.

Bigali

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »
Gee, why don't you go back to NI then?  Why be miserable?   ???

It's not always that simple, family ties for example, my oldest brother would love to move back here but his children and grandchildren are the reason he doesn't .
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Lilyrose

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2013, 05:55:11 PM »

It's not always that simple, family ties for example, my oldest brother would love to move back here but his children and grandchildren are the reason he doesn't .

That's sad to hear. The children and grandchildren will live their life's and it might mean them moving away from your brother in the future.

You only get one chance at life and  being happy is a big part of it.
DILLIGAF!

Ann8

« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2013, 07:28:22 AM »
Never in a million years would I have believed that I would never go home to live in Belfast again.  I moved away over 30 years ago, I used to break my heart with homesickness for years until one day, a few years ago I realized there was no place for me in Belfast any more. My family and friends are all here in Brighton. Still feel like a fish out of water sometimes but I do have a few friends here who are from Belfast so they always make me feel better.

Dot/dash

« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2013, 11:15:48 AM »
Never in a million years would I have believed that I would never go home to live in Belfast again.  I moved away over 30 years ago, I used to break my heart with homesickness for years until one day, a few years ago I realized there was no place for me in Belfast any more. My family and friends are all here in Brighton. Still feel like a fish out of water sometimes but I do have a few friends here who are from Belfast so they always make me feel better.

looking on the brighter side      you could be living in some dingy city    .   I've spent quite a bit of time in Uckfield this

year    and popping in Brighton    very fond of Brighton   :)

love me          love my gelding     

RobRoy

« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2013, 01:49:17 PM »

looking on the brighter side      you could be living in some dingy city    .   I've spent quite a bit of time in Uckfield this

year    and popping in Brighton    very fond of Brighton   :)

Yukfield ??? ??? :o :o were ye keepin fit or swimmin' into Boots' ??? Brighton :o Ye're not thinkin of changin' yer preferences  ??? ??? But I did like goin' to the Theatre Royal to see the d'oyly carte coy.

canada now

« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2013, 05:23:43 PM »
so what are the big things to do in Belfast these days im heading there around Christmas with wife and kids I say kids (late 20s) and we are all Canadians now

Hazel Vicary

40 years and still missing Belfast.
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »
Came to Cornwall with the intention of visiting my mother and staying possibly for a year or two - 40 years on still here.  My family is here but I am still missing Belfast and dreaming of selling up and going back - can't see it happening but tell me, does the homesickness ever end? :(

RayH

« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »
Came to Sydney, Australia by sea on my own back in June 1970 on the 10 pound scheme. Told my fretting Mum & Dad that I would be home in 2 years. Have loved every bit of the last 47 years in Aus..Have only been back to Belfast 4 times in all those years. Love it when I am back there but doubt if I could ever live there again...in any case I married an Aussie girl who loves the heat and sunshine. We have 3 children and 3 grandchildren all living close by so I think permanent relocation to Belfast is well and truly out of the question. That said I do have a Sister still living there and am looking forward to a return trip next year...😀