Author Topic: Henderson and McWilliams family photos in Belfast  (Read 4616 times)

veridien

Henderson and McWilliams family photos in Belfast
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »
These are some photos taken from family albums which may have some 'Belfast' interest.

I would be grateful if anyone can add any information to these or even photos of their own.

Finally, does anyone recall a sweet shop on North Queen Street called Wendy's?

George Henderson with post office van in Belfast 1930s

Norman Henderson in Belfast postman uniform in 1937:

Group of boys in unknown Belfast street in 1930s (my uncle Norman Henderson is top middle):

R. McWilliams property repair business on Limestone Road

Orangeman George Henderson in 1920s Belfast:

Hughenden Avenue 1941 - the house left standing in the centre (number 12 above the car) belonged to my grandmother Clara Henderson (nee McWilliams).  She died in 1939 so the owner in 1941 would have been her second husband Billy Carse.

Gate outside R. McWilliams yard off Limestone Road in 1960s

Frank Belshaw's shop in Duncairn Gardens - it was run by his wife Cora (nee McWilliams)

DOFFER

Re: Henderson and McWilliams family photos in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 05:30:50 PM »
great photos veridien ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,enjoyed the view ,thanks  :-*
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Stafford12

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
I do recall that sweet shop. It was called The Wendy.  My cousin and I mention it quite often as we have really fond memories of it. My memories are very vague indeed as I was very young when visiting it. To me it was a magical place! My mum had lived nearby in cosgrave street up until she married. She still used the doctor's surgery in north queen street and after a visit there she would take me to The Wendy before heading home to Rathcoole.

mount vernon

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »
These are some photos taken from family albums which may have some 'Belfast' interest.

I would be grateful if anyone can add any information to these or even photos of their own.

Finally, does anyone recall a sweet shop on North Queen Street called Wendy's?

George Henderson with post office van in Belfast 1930s

Norman Henderson in Belfast postman uniform in 1937:

Group of boys in unknown Belfast street in 1930s (my uncle Norman Henderson is top middle):

R. McWilliams property repair business on Limestone Road

Orangeman George Henderson in 1920s Belfast:

Hughenden Avenue 1941 - the house left standing in the centre (number 12 above the car) belonged to my grandmother Clara Henderson (nee McWilliams).  She died in 1939 so the owner in 1941 would have been her second husband Billy Carse.

Gate outside R. McWilliams yard off Limestone Road in 1960s

Frank Belshaw's shop in Duncairn Gardens - it was run by his wife Cora (nee McWilliams)

I remember well the Wendy---it was packed with toys lucky bags and sweets,The woman who owned it was very tall----me and my sisters got our hair cut in the hairdressers along from it i think it was called Bryans.Our grandparents lived in Moyola Street just opposite with  the Moyola chip shop on the corner.

Fergy

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 10:19:57 PM »
Hi does anyone have a photo of the hardware shop near the top of the Limestone Road from the !960's or 1970's if you could post it I would appreciate it.

CarmenWeavers

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:30:19 PM »
Hi,
I recognise your photo of the "Gate outside R. McWilliams yard off Limestone Road in 1960s" the young woman is my mother, Vivien McWilliams and I think she is standing beside Albert or Albus Bradshaw.

John

Helen Winters

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:37:12 PM »
Hello I am Helen Ireland (nee Winters) now living in S. Africa since 1976 and 198 Duncairn Gdns (Coras) was my childhood home. I was born there in 1946 and we sold up and moved to Glengormley in the 1960's It was called Medleys then owned by my parents Walter & Margaret Winters (neeMedley).  Next door was Fred Taylors butcher shop and above that was barber shop. In that same block of shops was a Chemist & vegetable shop, a fish shop & McClures paint shop. & Youngs Newsagent.  Opposite was Greys shoe shop, Dr. Duffy, a dentist & a Bed & breakfast where
Frankie Howerd used to stay when he first started out.  Quite a few of the emerging stars would stay there when they were in pantomime at the Opera House.  I remember Frankie Howerd walking up Duncairn Gdns. after his show.

Finny

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
I do recall that sweet shop. It was called The Wendy.  My cousin and I mention it quite often as we have really fond memories of it. My memories are very vague indeed as I was very young when visiting it. To me it was a magical place! My mum had lived nearby in cosgrave street up until she married. She still used the doctor's surgery in north queen street and after a visit there she would take me to The Wendy before heading home to Rathcoole.

I spent all my pocket money at the Wendy, great toys as well as sweets. We all called it Joan the Wendy, suppose that was the lady’s name.