Author Topic: johnstons of belfast  (Read 1257 times)

violetember

johnstons of belfast
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:47:11 AM »
I am searching for relatives of *Maria(nee Lawrence)who married William Johnston. They lived in Belfast and came to New Zealand on the Rangitata ship on March 23rd 1947 at Auckland. Her sister was Elizabeth (Lily)?,Kathleen/catherine (Kathy)Bingham.  Their parents were Maria (nee McCutchin)and Harold Lawrence.

John Johnston - brother of William, married Annie and they had Jacky and Irene.  William's parents were James Johnston and Mary Anne (nee Patterson).

Also a Henry Alfred Lawrence in a photograph with Maria.

Please email Sheree.

sam barry

Re: johnstons of belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
I am not a relative, but I found these on the Belfast City council web site (burials) are they related?

Name of deceased

Henry Alfred Lawrence

Last place of residence

7 Richview St

71 Yr

Sex

M

Date of death

9 June 1963

Date of burial

12 June 1963

Cemetery

City Cemetery - Glenalina Extension

Grave section and number

N1 104

Burial Type

Earth Burial

also buried in the same grave :

Elizabeth

Lawrence

27 Years

17 January 1950

19 January 1950

View details

Maria

Lawrence

16 December 1970

19 December 1970

View details

And one more of interest;

Name of deceased

Child Of Henry & Maria Lawrence

Last place of residence

11 Harland St

Stillborn

Sex

Date of death

21 August 1914

Date of burial

22 August 1914

Cemetery

City Cemetery - Public Ground

Grave section and number

Burial Type

Earth Burial

sam barry

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:14:24 AM »

1913 henry alfred  LAWRENCE 
 maria  MCCUTCHEON 
 Belfast Antrim

This is a marriage on emerald ancestors, but its a subscription site.

merseyperson

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »
Hi Sam,
May I respectfully request that you paste your information into a word processor and edit the line spacing a bit before posting.

Your info posts can be rather difficult to easily grasp when they contain so much blank spaces.

I find some of the formatting of line and paragraph spacing on here to be a bit difficult to achieve properly when I post a message.

I'm probably doing it wrong, but I've found through trial and error, that the best way to achieve the desired spacing formatting, seems to be to give it a try, then post ones message, and immediately edit the message.

For some reason, if the desired line spacing doesn't post as desired at the first attempt, it does usually seem to post properly after editing the posted message.

Ah, it just happened again !, the first time that I posted this message, all of the line spaces were removed and it posted as a solid block of unspaced text.

So I edited it via the modify button, and checked it via the preview button, and... :) well, after the second editing attempt anyway. :)

Make that 3 attempts, it seems to either remove all of the spaces, or add 2 lines of space.

Respect.

merseyperson

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:01:01 PM »
Plus several additional formatting attempts, Then I just accidentally quoted myself, and couldn't delete the quote, hence this message to deal with the uninended quote. !

I tell you what Sam, stick to your usual formatting procedure, it seems to  be working better than mine.  :)

merseyperson

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »
I am searching for relatives of *Maria(nee Lawrence)who married William Johnston. They lived in Belfast and came to New Zealand on the Rangitata ship on March 23rd 1947 at Auckland.
Please email Sheree.
:) Bingo !, found them on the outgoing passenger manifest, but not as Johnstone, rightly or wrongly, they are listed as JOHNSTON, and of course, those surnames, and their related variants, are very susceptible to being mis-spelled.
Mr. William Johnston aged 47, labourer...Mrs. Maria Johnston aged 31...Mast. William Johnson aged 2.
Most importantly, their last address is listed as number 3, Tenth Street, Belfast, and I am sure that someone on here will be able to tell you where that is, or more probably, was.
I can't see any reference to it after 1952, somebody on here will probably be able to tell you all about the street.
Apparently it was in the Shankhill Road area in Belfast, the Shankhill Road is and was very much a Protestant area, and of course religious affiliations were and are always of significance in Ulster, and can also be a research clue, and Maria isn't a name that would usually have been regarded as typically Protestant, in fact Protestants would probably tend to regard it as being more usually a Catholic name.
There is a link below to ancestry dot com which might interest you, it is a forum message about a lady called Florence McCandless who was born in Tenth Street and who lived most of her life there and was there during the same era as your relatives, she lived at number 11, so that would probably be about 4 houses along from number 3.
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.britisles.ireland.ant.general/6324/mb.ashx
The RMS Rangitata was owned by the New Zealand Shipping Company Ltd., built 1929, scrapped 1962, picture on the link below.
http://www.rms-rangitiki.com/images/Photographed%20by%20F.D.MacDonald%20-%20TATA.jpg
It sailed from London, bound for Auckland on 14th February 1947.
The Johnston family is listed on page 21 of the passenger manifest, their ticket number was 557.
I have uploaded a jpg pic file of the passenger manifest page to a file sharing site and you can download the file from the link below, (no need to sign up to the site, just click the grey download link ).
http://www.filedropper.com/ukoutwardpassengerlistsranitata-london14thfebruary1947

Ages on passenger lists and censuses are often estimated approximations, so don't take them too literally.
You can get birth/marriage/death certificates from GRONI = the General Register Office of Northern Ireland, and their odd looking link does still work, I wish that they would change it. !
http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro-content-has-moved
You can search the 1901 and 1911 Irish censuses online for free.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
Lennon Wylie online Street Directories of Belfast might be of use to you.
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/index.htm
Old Electoral Registers will probably be available, possibly in PRONI = the Public Records Office of Northern Ireland.
The Electoral Office for Northern Ireland, or someone on here, will probably be able to tell you where to find those, and there are some people on here who visit PRONI from time to time.
http://www.eoni.org.uk/index/electoral-register.htm
There are also some searchable online Belfast cemetery records available.
http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/index.asp
Now, tell me that you already knew all that,  :)  , excuse me, I probable have a lot of formatting and re-formatting to do,  :) , on second thoughts, I think I'll just leave this as it is, I'd probably only make it worse. !

maura

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
Henry Alfred Lawrence married Maria McCutcheon 1913 C.O.I. Belfast
Henry's father a William
Maria father a Robert

Found 2 births for this couple children
Maria 1915
ELiza Ann 1920

Census Years
Antrim
St. George's Ward Belfast
Matilda Street
Residents of a house
Residents of a house 161 in Matilda Street (St. George's Ward Belfast, Antrim)  Show all information
SurnameForenameAgeSexRelation to headReligionBirthplaceOccupationLiteracyIrish LanguageMarital StatusSpecified IllnessesMcCutcheonMaria8FemaleDaughterEpiscaplionBelfast CityScholarRead and writeEnglishNot Married-McCutcheonElizabeth13FemaleDaughterEpiscaplionCo TyroneScholarRead and writeEnglishNot Married-McCutcheonRobert40MaleHead of FamilyEpiscaplionCo TyroneGeneral LabourerRead and writeEnglishMarried-McCutcheonRobt2MaleSonEpiscaplionBelfast CityScholarCannot readEnglishNot Married-McCutcheonCatherine35FemaleWifeEpiscaplion

maura

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
Robert McCutcheon married Catherine Alexander 1885 Omagh co Tyrone

Robert James 1888 Tyrone
Elizabeth 1889 Tyrone
William David 1891 Belfast
Maria 1893 Belfast
Maude 1896 Belfast
Sarah 1898 Belfast
Robert James 1899 Belfast
Lucy 1902 Belfast
Catherine 1904 Belfast

maura

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »
Residents of a house 50 in Parker Street (Pottinger, Down) Show all information
SurnameForenameAgeSexRelation to headReligionBirthplaceOccupationLiteracyIrish LanguageMarital StatusSpecified IllnessesLawrenceWilliam40MaleHead of FamilyChurch of IrelandEnglandSailorRead and write-Married-LawrenceAlbert1MaleSonChurch of IrelandBelfastScholarCannot read-Not Married-LawrenceWilliam3MaleSonChurch of IrelandBelfastScholarCannot read-Not Married-LawrenceHennry9MaleSonChurch of IrelandBelfastScholarRead and write-Not Married-LawrenceEliza34FemaleWifeChurch of IrelandCo TyroneHouse KeeperRead and write-Married

maura

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »
    Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958
about Henry Alfred Lawrence   
Name:Henry Alfred LawrenceDate of Registration:Jan-Feb-Mar 1892Registration district:BelfastBirth Country:IrelandVolume:1Page:389FHL Film Number:101064

violetember

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 09:50:20 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their help.  I was blown away when I received an email linking me to your replies.  They all seem to match the information that I did have.  One of the addresses that you gave - tenth street matches - I have an old envelope that Mum kept and a copy of the passenger list for the Rangitata (but the one posted on here looked far more exciting than my plain old typed copies).  And the photo of the Rangitata ship is amazing.  I will be printing this in colour.  I have some black and white photocopies and I was lucky enough to have a copy of the menu from the ship with signatures from people that my grandfather (william) must have met.  Anything like this is gold.  All of this information will help me put the puzzle together and hopefully I can track down some distance relatives that may be doing the tree.  You all made my day - thanks
Sheree