Author Topic: Belfast Publicans - Can you name them?  (Read 15565 times)

dermot walsh

Re: Belfast Publicans - Can you name them?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »
yes the man 3from right is kevin rooney from josie maddens next to him is joseph walsh clonard bar falls rd 2 is murry from the boaling green  york st i think the tall man on the left is toal from the divis castle springfield  rd

Astor

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »
yes the man 3from right is kevin rooney from josie maddens next to him is joseph walsh clonard bar falls rd 2 is murry from the boaling green  york st i think the tall man on the left is toal from the divis castle springfield  rd

Hi Dermot, was the Divis Castle up past Woodvale Avenue, if so, I remember the Toals (there was a Brendan) as they used to come into our shop many moons ago, they weren't far up from us.
Que Sera Sera

dermot walsh

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2014, 02:11:59 AM »
yes the toals lived on the crumlin rd ther was garry and breandan garry went to canada i beleave brendan worked in or at bakery dont know wat happened to him

dermot walsh

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2014, 02:23:44 AM »
            >:D NOT   ALL PEOPLE   WERE   PUBLICANS     THE   REP   HAD  A   HABIT   OF   LETTING   HIS   FRIENDS   GO  TO  DUBLIN AS  WELL

dermot walsh

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »
yes that was the toals the father owned the bar but the troubles hit the bar badly ther was a doctor in the family and a nurse i was told a shooting in the bar years later

Astor

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »
yes that was the toals the father owned the bar but the troubles hit the bar badly ther was a doctor in the family and a nurse i was told a shooting in the bar years later

I didn't know that but not surprised, we were bombed out early 70's as well - I've lived in London since 1967. They were a nice family.  It's all very sad but TG things have moved on since the troubles.
Que Sera Sera

C Smith

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 12:58:20 AM »
The back row from left to right is Mickey Woods who owned pubs in York Street and and then The Sportmans Inn, Derriaghy , next to him is Paddy Cullen who owned the Grave diggers Arms on the Glen Road next to him is Paddy Woods who owned a pub  in Sydenham•  Second row first on the left is Vincent McKenna snr who has the Mermaid in the City center. In the middle of this row is Harry Diamond snr who owned the Lansdowne Court Hotel.

Turkeyone

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »
6th from left, 2nd row, the dapper man TJ McGurran owner of the Errigle Inn ?

sj

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 03:35:49 AM »
 I'm wrong....John Keenam is in the front row but 2nd from the left. :(
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

C Smith

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »
Sixth from the left second row is the late Harry Diamond senior. The late John Keenan is not in this photo and it was his brother Pat that worked in the Midland Hotel.

C Smith

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2014, 12:06:45 AM »
The McGavocks owned a pub called the Roughford Inn in Roughford. Noel McGavock immigrated to Australia.

dermot walsh

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2014, 12:46:56 AM »
the   man  on  the   bottom  right   is toney o riley who had a bar in albert st with his brother miles and then bought the golden pheasant near lisburn with his brother miles the both of them were shot dead and the bar was blown up miles son ran a bar on the old lodge untill receantly

sj

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2014, 03:55:51 AM »
Sixth from the left second row is the late Harry Diamond senior. The late John Keenan is not in this photo and it was his brother Pat that worked in the Midland Hotel.

Maybe they both worked in the Midland but at different times.    John worked in the cocktail bar during the period in the early '60's and was still there in 1964 and that is where he met his wife.   :) [size=78%] [/size]
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

McNamee

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »
The McGavocks owned a pub called the Roughford Inn in Roughford. Noel McGavock immigrated to Australia.

There was a guy Harry (may be wrong with the first name here)McGavock, danced in Maxims, had something to do with The Roughford Inn

C Smith

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
John Keenan the brother of Pat and son of Paul Keenan was never married.
Harry McGavock was involved in the Roughford Inn and he was married to Hugh Keenan's daughter.