Author Topic: Whereabouts in the world do you post from?  (Read 49885 times)

sj

Re: Whereabouts in the world do you post from?
« Reply #420 on: February 03, 2017, 03:56:26 AM »
Smilesmile. .that's great what doyou do in Java?
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

smilesmile

« Reply #421 on: February 03, 2017, 06:16:07 AM »
give up working about a year ago

sj

« Reply #422 on: February 03, 2017, 10:31:59 AM »
 I have not been far away from you for the last 30 years in that I lived North of Cairns in North Queensland..  The wet season gets a grip on you. ;)  I now live in Brisbane.  What did you work at in Java. .interested. .Sam

smilesmile

« Reply #423 on: February 04, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »
left Belfast at 16 joined the MN to get away from the fighting,traveled all over as you do,first time i hit Asia (Singapore) it was WOW!!! i stayed there 8 years had a job with a major oil company supplying to the Americans in Vietnam till the end of that war that was a good eye opener,out of the frying pan into the fire....but even then i was traveling around Asia,Cambodia, Malaysia the people out here didn't have a lot but by god they seemed a lot happier than the folks at home.stayed in Asia until 1984 went back to Belfast bought a house in west Belfast (Dermot hill) for the grand sum of 9000 3 bed semi got out of there within 3 years after getting taken over by the 'Buoys' about 6 times to be used as a sniper point,bought a house over in the ormeau road in ballynafeigh  married my childhood sweetheart had two wonderful children.during this time was working for British rail ferry larne to stranraer did that for about 12 years,and then on the cawoods coal boats that was fun....when my relationship went up the Khyber i went offshore to the oil rigs of the east of Shetland that north sea is bad with the weather,so i went down to Libya to work then Tunisia...from there Spainduring this time begun to holiday again in Asia missed it and still had friends theremet a girl there in Jakarta through friends we got married,and then headed back to Belfast, at that time was working in Angola west Africa....we spent a few years more in Belfast until my children were 18then in 1999 moved out here on a permanent basesby this time was working in India then gulf of mexico,then Tanzania,Mozambique,my last move was to Sarawak in Malaysia  then i realized i had been working 50 years and the bones were tired so i decided enough was enough.....decided to just quit. we had bought our home here 12 years ago paid full cash so have no real bills as such just normal household bills,its still really cheap to live here and im comfortable on my three pensions...wife works as a trained consular,she got her degree from queens in Belfast, she still works as she is a few years younger than me she also runs a private preschool,we now have a 4 year old daughter treble passport holder Irish/British/indoso im happy and just look after my youngest daughter
ive been your way quite a few times,cairns,Townsville [/color] few other places to many to mention here,loved it but if i were going to settle out that way it would have been new Zealand that place was really so much like home,i have seen a large part of the world which when leaving home at 16 i would not have believed could have been done.
i was born in Carlisle street north Belfast,had the water thrown on in st patricks there at Carlisle circus, and then family started to move around the city,falls road,oldpark road (bann street) ended up for a while down in Portaferry of all places, Family originally came from Tyrone via Donegal.
My elder children come down quite often here and when i know they are coming they get my shopping list hee hee,but mostly i can do ...for what i miss...cooking wise...when i want to stock up on good pork i head to Singapore...that place is mustard now...cost an arm and a leg to live there...i was renting a whole house there in the 70s for 200 a month cant get a night for that now there

brianmckeever

« Reply #424 on: February 04, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »
Man oh Man!  What a story!  Welcome to the forum.

sj

« Reply #425 on: February 04, 2017, 12:14:18 PM »
Smilesmile...what a great story so you get the Mc Donald's award for February....Good luck. ;)