Author Topic: Whereabouts in the world do you post from?  (Read 57572 times)

richard mccann

Re: Whereabouts in the world do you post from?
« Reply #435 on: June 13, 2020, 06:11:37 AM »
BLOOMFIELD -Jillyfred-I have never been on facebook  Too old for that caper. When people start asking personal questions I smell a rat but thats just me.Hey BLOOMFIELD you will  have to agree the best part of Ballymacarrett is Dee Street Whadya reckon. all the best rmc.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #436 on: June 13, 2020, 09:05:28 AM »
BLOOMFIELD -Jillyfred-I have never been on facebook  Too old for that caper. When people start asking personal questions I smell a rat but thats just me.Hey BLOOMFIELD you will  have to agree the best part of Ballymacarrett is Dee Street Whadya reckon. all the best rmc.
  I'm like yourself , I never joined Fakebook or Twitter, and I don't even own a Cellphone. ::)

Dee Street used to be busier than Royal Avenue , every Morning and Evening , good place to live.

I lived off the Bloomfield Road ( Ballyhackamore ) we had lots of room to play in BULLER'S FIELD , Orangefield Lane and Park.
The Bible would be more believable had Hemingway written it.  He was a master at making fiction seem real.

JohnKelly

« Reply #437 on: June 13, 2020, 11:02:34 AM »
On the subject of Facebook - Initially I was very wary and do agree that one needs to be careful as to what boxes they tick in relation to privacy and security.

The only 'Friends' I have are those of my immediate family'.

Anyhow, through referrals given via this forum I have joined the following Facebook Groups,

Northern Ireland Historical Photo Society.
History of Transport in Northern Ireland.
Images and Memories of Old Northern Ireland.

So far so good with very interesting content.

Cheers

richard mccann

« Reply #438 on: June 14, 2020, 06:27:34 AM »
BLOOMFIELD -At least we have something in common I dont have a phone either. My kids got me one years ago I couldn,t get used to it I dont know where it went .Have you ever been in a doctors waiting room most people have their heads buried in their phones no one talks anymore.I remember as a kid linking arms with my mother to a doctors surgery in Bloomfield Ave the doctors name was Mahony. I was about 12yrs old . When we first entered the it would be quiet. give my mum five minutes everyone was talking to each other she would start a conversation with anyone . This all happened about 68yrs ago there were definitely no phones then. Phones are a useful tool but can be used antisocially. nuff said cheers rmc

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #439 on: June 14, 2020, 08:19:12 AM »
  My Doctor was in Bloomfield Avenue, Dr Lennox  ::) Ex- RAF, ENGLISH MEDIC .

The less said, the better  >:D
The Bible would be more believable had Hemingway written it.  He was a master at making fiction seem real.

jillyfred

« Reply #440 on: June 14, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »
Richard great to see you again on `your thread`!

I never joined Facebook or Twitter either -just not my scene!
However,others find both of interest and that`s fine.

Its sad we have lost so many good posters from the Forum over the years and they are very much missed.

I have a little Tesco Mobile which cost me 10 due to the offer at the time.Its Pay as You Go-I put about 30
a year into it.I only use it for emergency calls and the odd text.
My BT Plan includes free calls to the two family mobiles if I need them.
My Family members all have Skype and make calls abroad through the Internet for `buttons`!
Again not for me-too technical!!!

Once again it was a pleasure to see you Richard.
Take
care.

jilly

richard mccann

« Reply #441 on: June 16, 2020, 04:10:13 AM »
jillyfred- thanks for the welcome back I had forgtten all about this thread. (GETTIN OLD ) Jilly Ihave to ask you where do you post from?rmc

jillyfred

« Reply #442 on: June 16, 2020, 02:13:39 PM »
`Where The Mountains Of Mourne Sweep Down To The Sea` Richard!!!

Newcastle,County Down!

jilly

richard mccann

« Reply #443 on: June 18, 2020, 04:15:05 AM »
Jillyfred  I remember we used to try and ride our bikes to Newcastle we never made it. The closest I have been to Newcastle was when I spent two weeks on a school camp at Dundrum that would have been 1952 . We went there with Mersey St Primary school gee thats a long time ago .All the best jilly rmc

JohnKelly

« Reply #444 on: June 18, 2020, 05:08:20 AM »
Jillyfred  I remember we used to try and ride our bikes to Newcastle we never made it. The closest I have been to Newcastle was when I spent two weeks on a school camp at Dundrum that would have been 1952 . We went there with Mersey St Primary school gee thats a long time ago .All the best jilly rmc

:hi: Richard, your mention of riding your bike to Newcastle reminded me of my bike rides circa mid 1950's; apart from my part-time job as a message boy riding around Cherryvalley on the delivery bike (you know, the one with the small front wheel), the longest ride I every did was from Ballyhackamore to Comber/Newtownards and back, I can't recall the exact route but it was via Gilnahirk.

The other ride which was on a regular basis was from Ballyhackamore to Holywood via the Old Holywood Road which in those days was rural countryside as was Gilnahirk.

I still go for a leisurely bike ride along the scenic bike paths which are provided by our local councils in Australia.

Cheers for now.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #445 on: June 18, 2020, 08:36:20 AM »

In the 50's a group of us used to bicycle from Bloomfield to Helens Bay for a swim.

richard mccann

« Reply #446 on: June 19, 2020, 05:42:13 AM »
John Kelly -I was a keen cyclist I had a proper racing bike most nights in the summer I would out on the bike I used to go up the Craigantlet hill climb on a regular basis just to see if I could do it you would be standing on the pedals near the top but I always made it. When I first came to Australia I was working for a mob called Frankipile . They worked all over Sydney Ithought I would ride a bike to work I soon realised the traffic was to busy one day was enough. Frankipile put down deep piles on the big building sites then the normal foundations would be put on top .There was no readymix concrete then this was 62/63 the concrete was made by a heap of Irish guys behind the mixer all from southern Ireland great blokes .cheers rmc

richard mccann

« Reply #447 on: June 19, 2020, 05:59:36 AM »
BLOOMFIELD - We used to catch the train at Sydenham and when we got off the train at Helens Bay we would walk to Rockport this was in order to pick willicks and mussels .  I went in for a swim often but always found it too cold .cheers bloom rmc

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2020, 09:29:43 PM »
BLOOMFIELD - We used to catch the train at Sydenham and when we got off the train at Helens Bay we would walk to Rockport this was in order to pick willicks and mussels .  I went in for a swim often but always found it too cold .cheers bloom rmc

I found that the coldest water was at Newcastle and Bangor outdoor Pools , once was enough . :o

The warmest water , North of the Mediterranean , was reported in the Belfast Telegraph ,  to be the Strangford Lough.
 The Lough is very shallow, so when the Tide goes out there is a great expanse of sand  exposed to the heat from the Sun; when the Tide comes back in quickly, it absorbs the heat from the sand , and if you time it right , the Sea temperature can be in the mid SEVENTIES  :o
When the Tide is fully in, the temperature reverts to COLD again :(

JohnKelly

« Reply #449 on: June 20, 2020, 06:38:57 AM »

Yes, my swimming experiences as a youth in such places as Bangor, Holywood and Millisle were indeed as cold as you have described but I guess one didn't have to worry about Rip Currents, Stingrays, the Blue Ringed Octopus or the Grey Nurse Shark,

https://passportocean.com/2019/05/08/blue-ringed-octopus-facts/

:)