Author Topic: Whereabouts in the world do you post from?  (Read 57575 times)

BLOOMFIELD

Re: Whereabouts in the world do you post from?
« Reply #450 on: June 20, 2020, 08:40:55 AM »
Yes, my swimming experiences as a youth in such places as Bangor, Holywood and Millisle were indeed as cold as you have described but I guess one didn't have to worry about Rip Currents, Stingrays, the Blue Ringed Octopus or the Grey Nurse Shark,

https://passportocean.com/2019/05/08/blue-ringed-octopus-facts/

:)

Talking about Stingrays   :o

In Mexico I stepped on a Stingray, in 18 inches of water, it got me with it's stinger in the vicinity of my Achilles Tendon , pain

was horrendous , and I walked with a bad limp for 3 months.
             https://www.healthline.com/health/stingray-sting#causes
The Bible would be more believable had Hemingway written it.  He was a master at making fiction seem real.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #451 on: June 20, 2020, 09:00:49 AM »

OOOPS !
The Bible would be more believable had Hemingway written it.  He was a master at making fiction seem real.

richard mccann

« Reply #452 on: June 22, 2020, 04:29:16 AM »
BLOOMFIELD-I can only imagine what that must have felt like . I bet you let a few expletives go . I have been lucky in that regard I have been in a few car accidents but nothing that caused any great pain. all the best from oz rmc

tave

« Reply #453 on: September 24, 2020, 03:19:23 PM »
posting from holland.....lived in belfast close to the city centre as a kid moved to Belvoir fam lived there for over 40s years now living in holland 19 years here.. :)

JohnKelly

« Reply #454 on: September 25, 2020, 03:37:22 AM »
John Kelly -I was a keen cyclist I had a proper racing bike most nights in the summer I would out on the bike I used to go up the Craigantlet hill climb on a regular basis just to see if I could do it you would be standing on the pedals near the top but I always made it. When I first came to Australia I was working for a mob called Frankipile . They worked all over Sydney Ithought I would ride a bike to work I soon realised the traffic was to busy one day was enough. Frankipile put down deep piles on the big building sites then the normal foundations would be put on top .There was no readymix concrete then this was 62/63 the concrete was made by a heap of Irish guys behind the mixer all from southern Ireland great blokes .cheers rmc

:hi: Richard, just touching on a couple of your comments -: Bike riding all over the Melbourne Metro and country Victoria is now a big thing with bike paths provided for cyclists and with many riding to work.

I have never worked in the construction industry but have seen a big change in the pay and conditions for such workers. When I first arrived in Sydney in 1964 I was in awe at those men who rode the crane hook by simply putting their feet in the hook and riding the load up the side of  the sky scrapper, I think they were called Dogmen.

richard mccann

« Reply #455 on: September 25, 2020, 05:55:39 AM »
john kelly - Indeed they were called dogmen those guys have nerves of steel . Ialways thought I had a good  head for heights the biggest pile driving machine was called the Martello Tower .One day on the site I asked the foreman  if I could climb up the ladder and release the concrete into the piling tube he said yeah (wouldnt happen these days)  I climbed up the ladder to the  required height 60 or 70 feet Once up there you have to hook your leg through the rung in the ladder and have both hands free to release the concrete from the skip .All went well until the driver lifted up the hammer the whole machine started swaying I thought the whole bloody lot was going to topple over . I got down off there quick smart Ichanged my underpants when I got home . rmc