Author Topic: Doherty Family, Belfast  (Read 3804 times)

simonpdoherty

Doherty Family, Belfast
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:39:58 AM »
I am searching for any information on my father's side of the family. Especially his grandfather (Edward Dogherty) and great-grandfather (John Dougherty).

The name Doherty also appears as Dogherty and Dougherty in various records

My father's father was Edward Doherty (1903-1954) who married Martha Killen (1905-1965) from Dervock, Co. Antrim and later of 9 Runnymede Parade, Belfast.   
[/size][/b]

Edward's father was also Edward Dogherty (1872-1936) who married Selina McEvoy (1874-1945), according to her sisters' birth certificates, the daughter of Richard McEvoy & Mary (nee Humphrey, Humphreys & Hamphrey)

I have their marriage record from 'rootsireland' for 24th December 1895, St.Stephen's Church of Ireland.
Edward is a Cork Cutter, 10 Fox's Row, 23 years old.
This record shows Edward's father as John Dogherty, a Labourer.
Selina, occupation blank (she was a linen weaver), 18 Fox's Row, 21 years old.
Selina's father as Richard McEvoy, a caretaker.
(Fox's Row had small houses off Durham St., Belfast)
Their mother's names do not appear on this digital record.

Edward & Selina ('Lena') appear in the census for 1901 (88 Selby Street, Belfast) & 1911 (2 Stanley St., Belfast), which I have.

I also have them on the 1912 Ulster Covenant living at 29 Fox Row, Belfast.

From 1918 they lived at 30 Linfield Rd., Belfast.

Edward and Selina's children were:-

Joseph MacEvoy Dogherty (June 1896- )
 (Date of birth makes Selina 3 mths. pregnant at her wedding)
- I have his WWI army records showing him as 'absent', then 'declared deserter' from 4th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in 1915. He was demoted L/Cpl. to Pte. but not punished. I hear he later served as a customs officer, so would like to know more of story. He apparently changed his name (possibly to McEvoy/McAvoy, married Dorothy and had a son who emigrated to Australia)

Henry Boyle Dogherty (Mar 1898- )
- Known as 'Harry', I have his WWI medal index cards under name 'Doherty' and reissued as 'Dogherty' (his preferred spelling), Pte. 19436, 10 Royal Irish Rifles, served in France from 6th Oct. 1915 (This would have meant he was underage for combat service)

Mary Dogherty (1900-1901, disappears from 1911 census)
- I think I found a City Cemetery burial for her aged 18 months.

*Edward Dogherty (1903-1954, *my grandfather)
- Heard he served in Royal Signals as pigeon handler, evacuated from Dunkirk 1940 (would like to find his record). Was park ranger for city council park at 268a Donegall Rd. Died at 152 Connsbrook Ave., Belfast.

Richard McAvoy Dogherty (1904- )
- Known as Dick Doherty

James Mercer Dogherty (1906-1976)
- Jimmy Doherty, married Jean. 1911 census has mistranscribed his middle name as 'Sheereer' but is clearly Mercer on original. Shot through neck and died during Republican Action Group indiscriminate machine gun attack on the Stag Inn, Belvoir on 30th July 1976

William John Dogherty (1910- )

Robert Dogherty (Post-1911- )

I wish to know more about any of these people. There is a story that Edward  (1872-1936) and Selina lived in Coleraine in 1920's, but no evidence.

I especially want to know about Edward's father, John Dogherty, who appears on their marriage certificate. And especially who Edward's mother was. Did Edward (snr.) have any siblings? Where was he from? Did he serve in the military (Boer War, perhaps)?

Are there any records on John Dogherty's parents etc.?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Simon

sam barry

Re: Doherty Family, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 11:21:54 AM »
Selina's parents marriage:

Record Type   Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   24 Dec 1871
Groom Name   Richard MCEVOY
Bride Name   Mary HUMPHRIES
Church   Saint Annes Church of Ireland
Parish   Shankill
Civil District   Belfast
County   Antrim

sam barry

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 11:35:43 AM »
Would this birth be of interest:

Record Type   Civil Birth
Date of Birth   23 Jul 1872
Name   Edward DOUGHERTY
Gender   M
Fathers Name   John DOUGHERTY
Mothers Forenames   Jane
Mothers Maiden Name   CARLISLE
Civil District   Belfast
Sub District   Belfast No 9
County   Antrim

And the parents marriage:

Record Type   Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   21 Aug 1871
Groom Name   John DOUGHERTY
Bride Name   Jane CARLISLE
Church   Belfast Roman Catholic Church
Parish   Belfast Urban 3
Civil District   Belfast
County   Antrim

simonpdoherty

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:44:56 AM »
Sam, that's great. Thank you so much. There was a story that Selina was a Salvation Army girl who converted Edward from Catholicism to Protestantism, but it looks like it was John who converted  :)
I wonder where 'Belfast Roman Catholic Church' is now?

MickD

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
Simon Doherty  You are related to me I think my father was William John Doherty 1910-1980. All details you have fit in with details I have. My father left Belfast in 1929 for Canada he was there until the mid 1930's returning to the UK.  Mick Doherty

MickD

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 10:30:25 PM »
Simon Whatever happened Richard Doherty? I have no records of what became of him. My father William (Billie) told me only something's. Maybe between us we can piece together history. Mick D

simonpdoherty

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:06:31 AM »
Hello Mick,
Great to hear from you!
I think your son or nephew tried to contact me on ancestry.com.
I had a message from the grandson of William John Doherty.
The initial is R Doherty, so may be Richard or Robert.

I stumbled by pure accident upon the grave of James 'Jimmy' Doherty in Knockbreda Cemetery. I visited again a few weeks ago and saw fresh flowers on the grave, so I left a message in a bottle.

Jimmy's daughter contacted me a few days ago. She has five sisters, all alive. One lives in Liverpool and the rest are still in Belfast. I am meeting them tomorrow. They remember their Uncle Eddie (my grandfather), Uncle Billy (your dad) and Uncle Dick (Richard). I will find out more tomorrow.

Could you drop me a line with your email address?

Many thanks, Simon

MickD

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 12:47:28 AM »
Hello Simon.
That was my son Richard that contacted you, it was Richard who told me about The Belfast Forum. To add to your family listings I have two sons Richard and Sean. I have a sister named after my Grandmother Selina. I will talk to Richard and tell him your news that you are contacting some of the family. Regards Mick D

simonpdoherty

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 09:04:49 AM »
Hi Mick, that's great to hear. Are you in Belfast?

I heard that Selina McEvoy was quite a woman, and she must have been very popular as I have found your sister, one of Jimmy Doherty's daughters, and one of the daughters of Selina's sister- Annie McEvoy who married Andrew Veighey and moved to Chicopee, Massachussetts- are all named Selina after her.

I am in touch with that part of the family in the USA

I sent an email to Richard last night too. This site won't allow email addresses to be posted, so please ask Richard for my address.

My father, Robert Doherty, son of Edward (William's brother) is visiting Belfast from Chicago in September. We are going to have a get together with Jimmy Doherty's six daughters. Would be great if you were able to come.

Bob Bovaird

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
Hi Simon:
I'm not going to be able to help with your search but you seem to be doing well on that score.  I'm an old friend of your Father.  We grew up together in Belfast and he stayed with my wife Gay and I when he first came to Canada.  My wife Gay also worked with your Mother at BOAC (now British Airways).  I also knew your Grandmother, Martha, and your Dad's brother Billy.  Also Wesley Reid and his lovely wife Maisie.

Good luck with your search.

haonghusa

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 01:29:58 AM »
Simon, you'll find that 1871 marriage on the ancestryireland database. I think the church in question was Holy Cross Ardoyne.

Nick Keene

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
James Mercer Dogherty (1906-1976)
- Jimmy Doherty, married Jean. 1911 census has mistranscribed his middle name as 'Sheereer' but is clearly Mercer on original. Shot through neck and died during Republican Action Group indiscriminate machine gun attack on the Stag Inn, Belvoir on 30th July 1976

This mans son Jim and daughter Christine are still living in Belvoir Estate, Belfast, not far from what was The Stag at Shaws Bridge, Belfast.

MickD

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 09:37:40 PM »
Received a message to contact Angela C regarding Doherty family. What is it you wish to contact me regarding? As this is an open forum what do you advise?

Mick D

Jane McAvoy

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 10:43:33 PM »
Hi
I am the grand daughter of Joseph Dogherty (changed his surname to McAvoy, & on some records it is spelt MacEvoy) & Dorothy (nee Ley) and would love to contact other family. My father Michael John McAvoy did emigrate to Australia and is now 84yo.
Regards
Jane McAvoy

If anyone wants to facebook me I am Jane McAvoy with a photo of my head surrounded by greenery and the bigger photo is me next to a kayak in Iceland.

Doccers58

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 06:42:36 PM »
Hi Simonpdoherty,

the details that you have posted are identical to mine.
My fathers name was William John Doherty
His Father was Henry Doherty (b22/2/1898)
His Father was Edward Dogherty(b1872) who married Selina McEvoy (b1874) on 24/12/1895 and had 7 children[/size]
His Father was John Dogherty

My father spent some time before he died working on his family tree. I have got his paperwork and am working my way through it

Regards
Paul