Author Topic: Sammy Houston's Jazz Club  (Read 17223 times)

Lilian Ashe

Sammy Houston's Jazz Club
« on: March 19, 2013, 05:49:46 PM »
Is there anyone out there who used to go dancing at Sammy Houston's? I was quite young when I went there but got away with it because I was tall and looked older. Sometimes had my homework in my bag!! Used to dance to the Beatles as they had just brought out their first record. Great times and happy memories.

BBJ

Re: Sammy Houston's Jazz Club
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:50:01 PM »
Them were the days - Tuesday and Thursday nights, wasn't it?
I saw THEM there one bank holiday Monday - five bob, double the usual half-crown.
Some of us used to go to the Plaza on Wednesday lunchtimes as well. That cost a shilling.

Kindness is the essence of greatness. (JOSEPH B WIRTHLIN)

Peaser

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »
Them were the days - Tuesday and Thursday nights, wasn't it?
I saw THEM there one bank holiday Monday - five bob, double the usual half-crown.
Some of us used to go to the Plaza on Wednesday lunchtimes as well. That cost a shilling.
I can remember when it cost sixpence for the lunchtime dance at the Plaza.

billyboy

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »
I can still remember the jazz club from 66, 67 era also the maritime and Betty Staffs. Teddy and the Tigers, Sam Mahood . [size=78%]I do not remember me doing much dancing, just watching the Cool kids and trying not to look a complete dork, and you know sooner or later your eye would be caught by a girl trying the same tactic. Somebody for everyone![/size]

"Walk a mile in my shoes", I need them breaking in.

Sanbrad

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
Remember it well....occasionally allowed to go on Thursday... But usually went on Fridays... Think it was called something "cool" like Daddy's Cavern.
Long queue up the stairs, past the GB offices on the first floor.
Had to rush to get the last bus at the City Hall. No money for taxis in those days... We were still at school. Was very jealous of the girls who were working. They had all the latest fashions from Wallis.

billyboy

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:15:52 PM »
I was talking to my wife about the day about it,sad eh! But my point was that kids over the last 20 years have had ambiance rooms to get away from the dance floor and chillax. We had that in the Jazzer with the big chairs and sofas at the back where you could actually talk. I saw John Mayall and the blues breakers there and Prince Buster. Lots of good memories and you know no one ever mentioned religion or where you went to school, no booze either that I remember. We always went to the Spanish rooms first even though it was supposed to be across the supposed divide for us.
"Walk a mile in my shoes", I need them breaking in.

MistyBlue1972

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
Wish I'd been old enough to go, it sounds like a great place. Wasn't born until 1972 unfortunately :(

Peaser

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:44:18 PM »
I wouldn't call them " the good old days" but the years 1960 to 1964 were good years for young people in Belfast. They were the years that took me from 15 to 19 You could hitch hike round the country without fear. You could walk anywhere day or night without a worry.

FT

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »
Early sixties Alec "Padso" Pattison Bomber Brown, me, and a few more, used to all troop up the stairs having first had a couple of pints in the Adelphi, possibly get a Pass Out and go back for a couple more, people I immediately recall were regulars Bertie Toogood, Willie Coyle, Pete Doherty "did a PJ Proby act in the Jazz Club even down to the split velvet trousers bit". I remember Van Morrison comming in a night or two after Them were on Top of The Pops(or Ready Steady Go) for the first time and he more or less sat in the corner not even noticed, He was just another Belfast lad to us, Roger Daltry and Pete Townsend (wearing his Union Jack Suit) popped in for an hour or so one night. Sammy Houstons was the only place in town for us kids who wanted more than the old Dance Halls. Happy days, Happy, Happy memories.

glenshanepass

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:32:57 AM »
I think everyone in Belfast knew Bertie Toogood with his long straight hair and 3/4 coat.   I remember the line up the stairs to get in  and watching the teddy boys going in downstairs to the other club.  Daddy, the DJ and the secret door in the wall beside the little stage where you could crawl inside.
The group Pennyfarthing,  Dino from the Plaza.  All a lifetime ago.
I left Belfast in 1969 and have returned a few times, the latest being this August.
Belfast is still a great city, vibrant and friendly again.   I took a tour on the open air off/on bus and learned so much.   I'd recommend it to anyone.
I enjoy reading all these posts.   Thank you for sharing.

FT

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
you're right about Bertie's hair Glenshanepass, I left Belfast around the same time as you, Bertie, Hughie Kennedy, Mick Gault and me went to England to seek our fortunes, first Blackpool for a few day (still got one of those booth photos of Bertie & me) then Manchester then on to London, Bertie got as far as Manchester and went back home, the rest of us had packed our jobs in but Bertie had only taken a holiday, but had not told us that!
Belfast was a great City in the 60s and still is, places like the Jazz Club brought the kids together

Jazzer67

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 08:35:36 PM »
Remember the jazzer well I married one of the jazz club girls Roma King would love to know what happened the Kennedy girls. Cornflake, Gail,wee Paul the dj? Great times great music we should have a reunion?

FT

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 12:05:17 AM »
Sounds like a great idea Jazzer67

Jazzer67

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 11:43:02 AM »
Well then let's do it I'm willing to organise it if there is enough interest, remember the Maritme gang did a reunion and had some of the Maritme bands playing   Denis

Hugh Jarce

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 01:09:22 PM »
i went to the jazzer on thur nights 70/71,big amos,frankie connolly,ardoyne gerry(who danced like mick jagger) BEE GEE,pound deals on the way in,and a blue haze once inside! i used to have a few pints of single X in robinsons(2/2d!great memories,would be up for a reunion if i can find my air guitar,loon pants and afgan coat!!