Author Topic: Sammy Houston's Jazz Club  (Read 17189 times)

HK

Re: Sammy Houston's Jazz Club
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »
Got my son some guitar lessons from Jim Armstrong, Them.
 Also, Bert and Steve Toogood lived opposite us in Twaddell Ave.

FT

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
That's where Bert lived, used to meet him at the ice-cream shop at the junction Ballygo & Woodvale Roads and jump the bus to Royal Avenue. Many nights after the Jazz Club along with Alec Pattison, Pete Doherty, Bomber Brown and others we caught the last bus (or walked if we missed it!) and went to a cafe just opposite the old Woodvale church, I think we called it Mamas or Papas (not sure old memory going), we all stuffed our faces and walked the rest of the way home, good old days and good old pals unfortunately lost touch with all of them after so many years living in England, although I know Bert is still around, or was 4/5 years ago as I noticed he had placed a family notice for his mother in the Belfast Telly the same time I put one in for my uncle.

JonToogood

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 03:13:50 PM »
Remember the jazzer well I married one of the jazz club girls Roma King would love to know what happened the Kennedy girls. Cornflake, Gail,wee Paul the dj? Great times great music we should have a reunion?

Would you have any photos of Bertie Toogood from Twadell, Bertie is my dad, im sure he would love to see old photos !!

Jon

JonToogood

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 03:15:19 PM »
That's where Bert lived, used to meet him at the ice-cream shop at the junction Ballygo & Woodvale Roads and jump the bus to Royal Avenue. Many nights after the Jazz Club along with Alec Pattison, Pete Doherty, Bomber Brown and others we caught the last bus (or walked if we missed it!) and went to a cafe just opposite the old Woodvale church, I think we called it Mamas or Papas (not sure old memory going), we all stuffed our faces and walked the rest of the way home, good old days and good old pals unfortunately lost touch with all of them after so many years living in England, although I know Bert is still around, or was 4/5 years ago as I noticed he had placed a family notice for his mother in the Belfast Telly the same time I put one in for my uncle.

I could put you in contact with my dad if you want ?

Lynsers67

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »
Hi folks, a lot of you have not been on this topic for a while but I'm hoping you come back.  Sammy Houston was related to me and my da was "on the door" of the jazz club for a while.  I have Sammy's grandson coming to stay with me in a few weeks from New Zealand where Sammy emigrated to many years ago.  I would like to show him around Belfast and some of the old buildings where the Jazz Club and the Plazza were situated. Unfortunately those that remember these things have passed away and I'm stuck with just the street names.  All help would be greatly appreciated.

McNamee

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »
The Jazz Club was almost facing the Europa Hotel...The Plaza in Chichester Street is now a Civil Service building as far as I recall and it is facing the side of House of Fraser.....Hope that helps.... ;)

tboy

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 07:30:10 PM »
The Jazz club was the 'place to be' around  '65. heavy duty 'bouncers' beating up sixteen year old kids and all that. Just greedy bollo's exploiting a fad. ;)

McNamee

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 02:29:04 PM »
tboy lighten up.  I was never beaten up....lol....Not that I recall... :P

btheboot

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »
Hi folks, a lot of you have not been on this topic for a while but I'm hoping you come back.  Sammy Houston was related to me and my da was "on the door" of the jazz club for a while.  I have Sammy's grandson coming to stay with me in a few weeks from New Zealand where Sammy emigrated to many years ago.  I would like to show him around Belfast and some of the old buildings where the Jazz Club and the Plazza were situated. Unfortunately those that remember these things have passed away and I'm stuck with just the street names.  All help would be greatly appreciated.
  i also am related to sammy houston, my uncle, what is your connection .  bb

kathyb0203

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
when to the jazzer from 66 to 70 best place in Belfast never any trouble, just good fun and Da the dj was brill xx

Hegarty girl

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 01:05:51 PM »
I used to go there in the 60s. I think 66 and 67 for a while. We went on Saturday night and as I wasn't allowed to wear make up etc, we all used to change and get made up in the railway station in Great Victoria Street. I still remember walking in the first time and the song playing was 'A whiter shade of pale' I went with a friend then called Carol Farnham, would love to get in touch if by any chance she would see this .

christy

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2016, 07:54:34 PM »

christy

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2016, 08:30:15 PM »
hi have just seen your post post ,away in orlando.knew sammy very well indeed and lindsay fossett the manager.i went from 1964 to 1970 so did my husband billy rankin who supplied supplied electrical gear to the jazzer ,and we got in early to watch the various groups.great times ,happy memories hope a few old regulars reply. hope sammy's grandson enjoyed belfast 

unity1

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 11:35:08 PM »
Another lovely place from my youth. Into the Spanish rooms first( under age ) never finished my 2nd pint scrumpy  Aggggg
on to the jazz club. "Them" brilliant 

misssmyth1

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2016, 04:42:32 PM »
Hi I hope his nephew  has a brilliant time ..please pass on the message that Sammy was a well liked well respected man and we all loved going to his Jazz Club he brought us the music the great bands gave the local musicians somewhere to show off their talents  Van Morrison for one   I'm sure from many of us appreciate what sammy did for talent in Ireland and gave us a great venue to go to .x