Author Topic: Skegoniel Primary School Antrim Road?  (Read 4989 times)

Blueflulew

Re: Skegoniel Primary School Antrim Road?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »
I remember the outside toilets at the top end of the playground, You did not hang about that's for sure, yes the creaky floor boards. Wooden stairs, when you think about it that building was an accident waiting to happen.

Briancm

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 11:41:00 PM »
Went to that school.   We lived right across the road at 23 Glandore Avenue.      My first teacher was Miss Bingham, that was about 1958 when I was four years of age.
My older brother Hilton went to the school in old cavehill road.     Remember I think It would be your brother Anthony.
MIss Britten and Dougie Hodges were P7 teachers in the Salisbury Avenue school, I was in Miss Brittens class for P6 and P7

Lansdowne

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
Attended Glandore 2 years? '51/2 and 52/3 then on to 'Skeg'. Rember the milk crates and outside toilets and wooden floors. Captain Robinson was headmaster. Ms Lloyd-Dodd got married and became ? I think there was Ms Bartlett and Cherry Britten ( played cricket ?). Dougie Hodges , upstairs, played / coached cricket at Cliftonville; took a party of us to Blankenberg ,Belgium. Any memories of that trip? Also was Mr Reid , last room on right ,upstairs. Highlight was getting a picture posted on the staircase wall !! Happy Days!

PEMPW

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 12:06:50 PM »
Skegoneil PS leavers 1958 except me; I was in hospital with appendicitis

[/img]

tommytwotoes

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 11:05:26 PM »

I was recently sent this photograph (from an old boy in New Zealand) taken of the pupils of the Glandore Avenue Skegoniel Primary School annex (P1 through P4) June 1953 taken on the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. I am extreme right, second row up, and I think the boy behind me might have been Jackie Harris.  Does anyone remember any of the others?

I can send a full res copy if anyone wants to print it off.

Sid Katzen
this was NOT for the coronation this was when King George and Queen Elizabeth visited N,Ireland  in 1949 the young princess Elizabeth was also on the trip with her parents ,,,,,, I was born in 1953 and that was the year Elizabeth the 2nd took the throne ,,,,, regards tommy ,,,, ps I grew up on the shore rd not far from the school
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

PEMPW

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 09:53:45 AM »
Dear TommyTwotoes
I would wish to correct you; this photo is correctly the dated 1953 taken at the celebration of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth. I am in direct contact with at least 3 of the people in the photo and who would have been aged 5 or 6 at the time and who can confirm the date of the photo. Some also appear in the 1958 photo of the school leavers from Skegoneil which again confirms their age and the date of the photo.
I will be publishing the photo of the other class / possibly half of the school; clearly taken at the same time, and which I am in. I can assure you I was not at school aged 2!!
PEMPW

PEMPW

Re: Glandore Ave Primary School annex to Skegoniel Primary School Antrim Road?
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 10:32:09 AM »
The other class or more likely other half of the school, Coronation of Queen Elizabeth, June 1953

katzen

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »
Can anybody remind me how to post a photograph to this forum.  It doesn't seem to display anything here!
Here is (I hope) an annotated version of the 1953 coronation photograph.

PEMPW

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »
Hi Sid - I used a photo hosting site tinypic.com, up loaded the photo to there, then copied the URL and then used the insert image button on the reply page; 1st left and posted the URL (without the brackets bit at beginning and end) and that worked. Good luck

Yvonne Mcbride

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »
I attended skegoniel p s from 1970-1977-headmaster was mr Crawford and office secretary was miss white.  The teachers I remember are mr griffiths, mr Ormond, miss davis ( those 2 got married), miss toome, miss Ritchie, miss Wilson, miss Patterson - anyone else remember

Jonathan W

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 08:07:43 PM »
Hello Yvonne, I think your older brother was Alan McBride, a classmate of mine starting in the school year 1969-70. Thanks for reminding me of Mrs White, the secretary, whom I'd forgotten until now (in spite of the Cluedo character).

My teachers in the early 70s were:

P1 Mrs Ogilvy
P2 Miss Davis
P3 Miss Pendry
P4 Miss Armstrong
P5 Mrs Patterson
P6 Miss Britton
P7 Mr McCabe

Mr (Hugh) Crawford must have been a very talented headmaster to run a school that left its pupils with so many happy memories. We always looked forward to the periods when our normal class teacher was away, and Mr Crawford stood in for them (I don't mean this to reflect badly on the class teachers). I remember his mathematics puzzles and insights with great pleasure, and, of course, his handling of the enormous hymn-sheets that hung from the ceiling of the assembly hall. I tried locate him through the internet in the early 2000s in the hope that I could visit him to thank him, but with no luck. By the time I eventually found someone who could have told me where he lived, he had already passed away.

The teachers had much more freedom in those days, and used it imaginatively in Skegoneil. Miss Davis (P2), for example, taught us how to add and subtract in binary (probably after reading something in the TES about computers being the future). Since she'd taught this very efficiently, we found it easy, and so she tried us out with Base 3, Base 4 etc. just for the pleasure of it (since they had nothing to do with computing). That was in one of the years when British Summer Time was retained through the winter months, so we needed something to brighten up all the dark mornings.

The school play and even the school sale always used to generate great excitement, and sports day at Dunmore Stadium was always great fun (all credit to the teachers for walking us safely between school and the Stadium).

All in all, I don't think I could have been anywhere better between the age of 4 and 11.

barry.lewis

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »

I was at Glandore from about 53 till 57 then onto skeggy, Teachers I can remember Mrs Roylance , Dougie Hodges

Class mates I can remember Pamela Robinson and Willie Goodwin. Mervin Reid,
Then onto Dunlambert
Then the Shipyard
left in 1971 now living in England Essex
Do miss Belfast
It's all gone very quick

Jonathan W

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2018, 12:00:16 AM »
Hello Barry. I can tell you that Mr Hodges (I never knew he had a first name!) was still going strong in the early 70s.
He was never my teacher, but I remember him well as the teacher of the other P5 set.

[email protected]

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
Hi all, I remember the Glandor annex, I played the Owl in the Owl and the Pussycat going to sea in a pea green boat. Who was the Pussycat? I also remember the halfpenny ride on the tram on the Antrim Road. At Skeg proper I recall many of the names mentioned in this page but I also remember a Miss Boyd who regularly rapped my knuckles with a ruler (was this cruelty?). I recall the Corination and being given a small tin like a pencil case containing chocolate at the school sports ground (the field where the new school was eventually built). I went with the school on the trip to Blankenberg and also to Paris the following year.
After Paris, to the Boys Model, the construction work, 40 years in the Middle East, now retired in inland Spain.

Carl Hughes

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 10:26:40 PM »
Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any pictures of the old school in Glandore Or any pictures from the street from years go. Could you even give me a description of how the building looked?

I bought 21 Glandore that would have faced the school and would love to see it as there are now a row of new build homes on the site.

Thanks