Author Topic: Skegoniel Primary School Antrim Road?  (Read 4988 times)

Walter hewitt

Re: Skegoniel Primary School Antrim Road?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2020, 03:12:48 PM »
Yes,  I attended 1950 to 1953. H Master was CPT. Robinson.  I actually witnessed his daughter Pamela being killed on the antrim road on her bicycle  [size=78%]A truck with long concrete piped rolled off and hit her., as I walked home for lunch. [/size]
[size=78%]Other teachers were Mr McKee,  Mr Reid,  Mr Hodges,  and many more. [/size]
[size=78%]Cpt Robinson soon after immigrated to Canada. [/size]
[size=78%]Regards[/size]

katzen

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2020, 03:44:06 PM »
The Newsletter of 5 October 1951 reported the Inquest
" Bicycle Caught in Tramlines
Inquest on Belfast Child
An open verdict was returned at an inquest yesterdayon Pamela Robinson (9) of 5, Parkmount Parade, Belfast.  The child, who was the daughter of Captain R.W. Robinson, B.A., principle of Skegoniel Primary School, was riding a bicycle along the Antrim Road towards Glengormley on September 26, when she had to pull out to pass a read barrier at a place where the road was under repair.  At the same time a motor lorry passed her on the outside and, her bicycle being in the tram lines, the girl fell off and went under the lorry."

Walter hewitt

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 08:30:02 AM »
Yes,  I am aware of this inquiry report,  but I know what I saw.  Pipes fell off the truck,  and in my opinion this was depressed for what reason,  I do not know. Also,  I know another witness still alive who agrees with me.

I was recently sent this photograph (from an old boy in New Zealand) taken of the pupils of the Glandore Avenue Skegoniel Primary School annex (P1 through P4) June 1953 taken on the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. I am extreme right, second row up, and I think the boy behind me might have been Jackie Harris.  Does anyone remember any of the others?

I can send a full res copy if anyone wants to print it off.

Sid Katzen

katzen

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2020, 04:18:10 PM »
Could it have been the lorry braked suddenly and the pipes rolled off and either the lorry and/or the pipes killed Pamela?