Author Topic: Skegoniel Primary School Antrim Road?  (Read 1272 times)

Boydee

Skegoniel Primary School Antrim Road?
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »
 Does anyone remember Skegoniel Primary School?

I attended it when it had nursery dept off Salsbury Ave.,
P1-P3 Glandore Ave
P4-P7 in the big school  further up Antrim Road

barry.lewis

Re: Skegoniel Primary School Antrim Road?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »

Does anyone remember Skegoniel Primary School

I attended it when it had nursery dept off Salsbury Ave.,
P1-P3 Glandore Ave
P4-P7 in the big school  further up Antrim Road

Yes I attended around 1958, I remember Mrs Roylance,
It's all gone very quick

stickyra

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »
I used to walk past it on my way up the cavehill. It eventually became a public library.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

arch

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
Went to Skegoneil Primary from 1964, head master was Mr Crawford. Miss McCrae was my P5 teacher who married Mr McCabe P6 teacher. Very fond memories.

Happy Harry

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »
I went there in 1955 and was in both schools. I got the bus to the nursery school, the fare was a halfpenny. The headmaster was Major or Captain Robinson. We sat the 11 plus in a school off the Limestone Road. We were encouraged to play cricket at Cliftonville as one of the teachers played there.
The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there.

Happy Harry

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 06:11:25 AM »
I went there in 1955 and was in both schools. I got the bus to the nursery school, the fare was a halfpenny. The headmaster was Major or Captain Robinson. We sat the 11 plus in a school off the Limestone Road. We were encouraged to play cricket at Cliftonville as one of the teachers played there.

I seem to have had a senior moment. I left Skegoneil in 1955, which means I went there in 1949. I was wondering how I got the Coronation gift in 1953 if I didn't go there until 1955.
The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
A local newspaper article from 1951 gives a Captain R.W. Robinson as the principal of Skegoniel primary school, sadly the article is about his young daughter Pamela being killed in traffic on the Antrim Road.

katzen

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »

I was recently sent this photograph (from an old boy in New Zealand) taken of the pupils of the Glandore Avenue Skegoniel Primary School annex (P1 through P4) June 1953 taken on the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. I am extreme right, second row up, and I think the boy behind me might have been Jackie Harris.  Does anyone remember any of the others?

I can send a full res copy if anyone wants to print it off.

Sid Katzen

Blueflulew

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 01:04:02 PM »

Katzen , are you 100%  sure that was for the coronation ? reason I am asking I was born in February 1949, I attended Clandore for a year?
The boy ,back row,3rd one in from the left is Alan McCorkell, bang centre the blond lad is Alan Napier and next to him is Richard Hunter, I have to be in there somewhere but I was always a wee short [censored]. We lived down the Serpentine Rd and then we moved to Ballygolan when that opened. My mum moved me from there to Skegoneil the old red brick one off the Antrim road. Teachers names  I remember (Clandore) I am sure was a Miss Sparklet?
At Skegoniel there was a Mis/Mrs Briton and a Mr Dougie Hodges.
From there I went to Dunlambert.

katzen

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »
Yes I am pretty sure.  I am extreme left (not right) second row up, and certainly look to be five (b. 1948), plus the flags and etcs indicate some big event.  The sender (John Gamble, sure must be somewhere in the picture) is insistent.

If you want me to send you a higher resolution scan, then send me an email.

Sid Cahill (Katzen)

stickyra

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 12:37:07 AM »
Wow guys that is amazing. I moved to Glandore in 1970 and I remember that building. When I got there it was disused but we knew it as 'The Clinic'. By that time Skegoniell PS was on Salisbury Avenue. I am curious to know exactly where the 'old red brick' school was located?
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

Blueflulew

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 03:49:03 PM »
It was just off the Antrim road, facing St Patricks, Old Cavehill Rd or it used to be , may even have been knocked down by now . I live in France now so have not been that way for years.

Blueflulew

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »

Yes I am pretty sure.  I am extreme left (not right) second row up, and certainly look to be five (b. 1948), plus the flags and etcs indicate some big event.  The sender (John Gamble, sure must be somewhere in the picture) is insistent.

If you want me to send you a higher resolution scan, then send me an email.

Sid Cahill (Katzen)
Thanks Sid but I can enlarge it okay and the resolution is stays good, that sure is rolling back the years, I cannot remember what happened 5 minutes ago but I have clear memories from years ago. Cracking photo all the same.

katzen

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »

I was recently sent this photograph (from an old boy in New Zealand) taken of the pupils of the Glandore Avenue Skegoniel Primary School annex (P1 through P4) June 1953 taken on the coronation of Queen Elizabeth. I am extreme left, second row up, and I think the boy behind me might have been Jackie Harris.  Does anyone remember any of the others?

I can send a full res copy if anyone wants to print it off.

Sid Katzen

katzen

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:01:17 PM »
The main school was between the Antrim Road junction of the Old Cavehill road and Salisbury Road.  It was a very old building, in which the upper floor (P4 - P7) had amazingly creaky floorboards, as I well remember when trying to creep in in-obtrusively when I was late.  Also, the tarmac in the playground tended to soften in hot summer weather,  making it a magnet for idle hands!  It was demolished (or fell down) many years ago, and housing built on the site.  The replacement school was built on the old-school playing fields.