Author Topic: 17th company BB in Suffolk  (Read 3837 times)

[email protected]

17th company BB in Suffolk
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
Can any one remember the 17th BB company in Suffolk I was a member during the 1960s from the Life boys and Then the BB.The captain in that time was Billy McFarland

bq-125rex

Re: 17th company BB in Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:45:38 AM »
I remember it but I was in 114th at the pres church regards Brian quinn

Bq125rex

[email protected]

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:17:39 AM »
Is the church still there I went to the church of Ireland I remember your Minister was Rev Craig we used to be great rivals on the football field in those days there was a Hotel beside the church and I remember seeing the Rolling Stones as they left after staying in the hotel over night that was about 1964 seems Like yesterday what year where you in the 114th? :)

hathaway

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »
Victor have many memories of playing football at Blacks Road against the 17th who had a great team in the mid late sixties. I remember a river running close to the football pitch where we has a wash after the games.

[email protected]

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:37:27 PM »
Brian did you go to Larkfield I remember Desmond Quinn and he had a brother can't remember his name as far as the Football my brother dessie was our goal scorer I played Left back my mum used to have a bucket waiting at the back door of our house so we cleaned the muck off before we went into the house I remember the river used to turn red with blood from the pig factory but the memory's  are great seems  like yesterday.

bq-125rex

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »
Victor dessie quinn's brother was called Maurice we were the other Quinn family David Sally Roy anne Brian Raymond Geoffrey colin Edward. My dad worked for pat mcgreevy at fort field and later in colin glen . I remember the river running red with pig blood we lived in or anymore drive and the rats were like weasels. All that area was knocked down when the Protestant families were intimidated out we had a happy upbringing, not a lot of money but good friends soap and water and my mum was a great cook
Bq125rex

bq-125rex

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 07:24:28 PM »
Suffolk pres church is now an RC chapel the Methodist is an undertakers big changes in the whole area
Bq125rex

[email protected]

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »
Brian it's pity about the church but no surprise there I now remember your family When we moved from Londonderry to Belfast in 1961 we lived in Oranmore drive my father was sexton of the church of Ireland and the Methodist church was our hall we moved to Horn Drive in 1964 we loved the place I have great memories of Suffolk then in 1971 we had to get out Jim Daley was my best mate I'm  not sure what happen to him but in those days people moved all over the place can't remember did you go to Larkfield

[email protected]

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »
Is the 17th still going or did it fold at one time we had 60 to 70 members but today kids don't seem to go to that sort of thing to many computer games gone is the art of conversation not sure if it is a good thing all we done in my day was play football all day till dark there wasn't as many kids over weight sweets where a weekend treat not any more

christine sarah

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 09:05:06 AM »
victor last time i was in Suffolk it was like Beirut my mums house had not been lived in for about 17 years they were intimidated out of it and there was a ring of corrugated iron around the Methodist church the only protestant people were in the old estate with a handful of them in Hillhead 2 Malinmore Oranmore was flattened when the people were intimidated out of that area ethnic cleansing that was never talked about. i got out in 1974 just after the birth of our son when the bullets were pinging off the maisonettes on top of the shops were fired upon from the Lenadoon area grew up happy and content there but as you know sinister people are still at work in what i still consider to be the finest wee country in the world i rant on !!!!! regards brian

[email protected]

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:46:30 PM »
Yes I can well believe that things got really bad as my Mum and Dad found to there cost in 1971 I remember as a school boy playing with a guider made in the ship yard by my neighbour going down the hill into oranmore drive thank goodness there wasn't to many cars about in those days the green at the bottom of the hill was on a slope and we played football and cricket on it the ball used to run away. At the bottom of the hill was a building site and the watch man Jimmy used to chase us great fun. I loved Suffolk as a child great memories never to return. Brian do you have a sister who married Billy Summerville

bq-125rex

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 11:47:23 PM »
Yes victor my sister anne married billy Somerville. We all went to larkfield did you know the press family I was talking to Joanne recently also herby graham who I knocked about with his family lived in 55 or anymore drive we lived in 51.
Bq125rex

bq-125rex

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 11:55:09 PM »
Victor did you know eddie phillips from tildarg avenue he is married to my wife's sister eva sprat I married Christine
Bq125rex

bq-125rex

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:58:07 PM »
Did your guider have ballbearings on the rear they made a class noise
Bq125rex

[email protected]

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 11:57:22 PM »
Brian Billy and me where great mates for years when he moved away to moyard I used to go up and stay at the week ends his great passions where Linfield Liverpool and my Heroes Rangers who now give me bad nerves tell Billy I was asking after him and hope he is keeping well I remember Eva and Eddie she would no my sisters Madeline and Margaret and she would remember my mum and dad I am not sure about Herbie but then I'm over 60 and the memory is not as good as it used to be Yes my guider had 4 of those wheeles what a noise The press family I do remember what memories I am glad I loged on they are all happy ones and the stories I can tell my 3 Grand children but not all of it Billy and me got up to some tricks in our young days and all before 1971