Author Topic: Tobergill street - Did you know my Grandfather number 20 Tobergill Street ?  (Read 973 times)

Anthony77

Hi everyone

I am searching for information for a late relative. I was adopted and I am curious to piece as much of my family history together. I was raised in Dublin, but I am looking to get to know (posthumously) Richard Harvey of 20 Tobergill Street. I believe he never married, and according to his death certificate- he was a gereral labourer. I don't know if this had always been his occupation, as I had previously heard it was something quite different.  He died in the Royal Victoria hospital on 5th April 1978 of 'Multiple injuries' including a Fractured skull, ribs and pelvis, and lacerations to his liver and spleen. If you knew him- can you tell me was he in an accident or did something more sinister happen. He had a brother - John Harvey who lived at Ballycairn close, Shaws Bridge. Richard was the son of Annie Harvey (nee McDowell) and John Harvey snr and grew up at 31 Ghent Street. He was born in November 1919. I would love to here from anyone who knew any of the family. Can anyone tell me what kind of areas Tobergill and Ghent Street were - were they integrated or segregated  areas and were they workmans  type houses? Many thanks in advance 

dormac

Hi Anthony, Tobergill street which is off the Shankill road was terrace houses although these have since been replaced by new houses. I was born just round the corner in Paris street but left there when I was 3 years old. Sorry have no idea where Ghent street is. Hope someone can help you .

Mac57

Hi Anthony,  The info   dormac supplied  about Tobergill street also applies to  Ghent street.  The only difference is that Ghent street was off Cambria street which is a bit  further up the  Shankill.
Mac57

harrydunn

Hi everyone

I am searching for information for a late relative. I was adopted and I am curious to piece as much of my family history together. I was raised in Dublin, but I am looking to get to know (posthumously) Richard Harvey of 20 Tobergill Street. I believe he never married, and according to his death certificate- he was a gereral labourer. I don't know if this had always been his occupation, as I had previously heard it was something quite different.  He died in the Royal Victoria hospital on 5th April 1978 of 'Multiple injuries' including a Fractured skull, ribs and pelvis, and lacerations to his liver and spleen. If you knew him- can you tell me was he in an accident or did something more sinister happen. He had a brother - John Harvey who lived at Ballycairn close, Shaws Bridge. Richard was the son of Annie Harvey (nee McDowell) and John Harvey snr and grew up at 31 Ghent Street. He was born in November 1919. I would love to here from anyone who knew any of the family. Can anyone tell me what kind of areas Tobergill and Ghent Street were - were they integrated or segregated  areas and were they workmans  type houses? Many thanks in advance 
Ghent St was off Cambrai St last street off top of Shankill Road the houses were very similar to those in Tobergill St,number 31 Ghent st occupied by Alex cooper labourer in 1940 and 1951 directories, No 20 Tobergill St was occupied by Mrs Catherine Keys in 1940 & 1951 Directories.
Sorry Mac57 I was just writing same as time as yourself hit the button before reading your post.

Mac57

Hi harry, No worries I've done the same in the past lolol.
     Mac57

dublin1850

Anthony77, I know it's a long time since you posted, but your Richard Harvey was injured in an accident. I am hoping you have this set up to email you when there is a reply. Here is the report from the time:
Belfast Telegraph 5th April 1978
Injured man dies
A MAN injured in an accident involving a motorcycle this morning died later in hospital. He was named by police as Mr. Richard Harvey(58), a bachelor of Tobergill St. in the Shankill area.  He was knocked down by the motorcycle at eight o'clock this morning. Police at Tennent Street are appealing for information from anyone who saw the accident at Canmore Street.

There is more on page 10 of the paper, but I cannot access that online.
The family issued a thank you to people in the same paper, April 14th, 1978.