Author Topic: Father Wallace Dead  (Read 9433 times)

Sally Ann

Father Wallace Dead
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:55:31 AM »
Just heard that Fr Wallace from Turf Lodge was found dead.

Hope that the rumours surrounding his demise aren't true!

Saying nothing, till I know more!
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

rathlin

Re: Father Wallace Dead
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 06:33:09 AM »
Fr. Wallace, may he rest in peace.  A priest loved by everyone who knew him.

Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

Freida

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »
Sally Anne,
He touched the hearts of so many, he was an exceptional man.
God Bless Father Matt..

Timmo

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 10:18:38 AM »
Absolutely terrible  news to hear Fr Matt is dead. He was an exceptional human being. And he gave so much of his life for the people of West Belfast. My he rest in peace. And may I offer my deepest sympathy to his family. R.I.P.
Before you laugh at someone else, have a look in the mirror.

johnnymac

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »
I first met Matt Wallace in the late 1970's when he came to see me about securing places for the children of his parish in the various  holiday programmes to the USA  for which I was the Belfast coordinator. He was a very genuine, caring person who tried to do his best for all of the people who sought his help. RIP Matt. 

Sally Ann

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
Absolutely terrible  news to hear Fr Matt is dead. He was an exceptional human being. And he gave so much of his life for the people of West Belfast. My he rest in peace. And may I offer my deepest sympathy to his family. R.I.P.

Sally Anne,
He touched the hearts of so many, he was an exceptional man.
God Bless Father Matt..

What you've both said, more or less sums it up.

To think that he did give so much of himself to the people, I find it so sad to learn he died on his own.
What an very sad way for one so great to end his days on earth. RIP Fr Matt.

chi

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 11:32:49 PM »
Condolences to Father Matt's family
his parishioners and friends.  :angel:

Very sad news :(
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

bridge ender

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:21:55 AM »
Hi All 

what a terrible tradegy . Matt Wallace was a great person and had the People of West Belfast always in his heart and mind    Matt Wallace RIP

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

Loiste na mona

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Speaking as a non believer. Matt Wallace was an exceptional man, who put a lot of work into Turf Lodge.  I greatly admired the way he went about his faith. He always seemed non judgmental and very witty when getting a point across.  A couple of things I remember about  Matt, he used to be a terrible smoker and would have had the quickest Mass in the world, on one occasion a few years ago He stop smoking and his masses became such an endurance test that his parishioners started praying for him to start smoking again.

On another occasion a couple who had been living together over 20 years and with a grown up family decided to married , as they solemnly walked up the aisle. Matt joked loudly I am glad to see you finally decided to do the right thing.

I have a lovely memory of standing outside Holy Trinity Chapel with a friend whose niece was getting married, and Matt bursting out the door and calling to us , while waving a piece of paper.
He stormed up to declaring ' tell your niece to cut down the number songs she wants, if she thinks I am going stand all day listening to soppy songs, she has another thing coming.
The people of Turf Lodge believers and non believers loved Matt, to watch him banter with people attending a wake house was special, people just smiled when they saw him coming.  Matt was a good man and he will be missed so much in Turf Lodge.

Neil Salt

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »
Just got a call about Father Wallace being found dead. He christened both my children, Carolyn and Christopher Thomas (RIP). So sad, wonderful honest man. Rest In Peace.

dadobreezer

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
Sally Ann  it's true, if it can happen to a man like matt it Can happen to any one.

hicky

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 12:44:30 AM »
  First met Father Matt when he was in St Peters parish he was a good friend of my mum& dad , he had the ability to be unconventional and still put all that came in contact with him at ease he was able to be friends with people off all ages a really good man and I and my family are really gutted at his demise , If there is a heaven up there Father Matt is sitting smoking his head off God bless R.I.P

Sally Ann

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:30 AM »
Sally Ann  it's true, if it can happen to a man like matt it Can happen to any one.

How very true dadobreezer.  And more to the point, how very, very sad!

SAD, that the Hierarchy in the Catholic Church, never recognized the fact that the man had problems.

SAD, there was nothing put in place by the Hierarchy in the Catholic Church, to deal with the same.

SAD, They never put in place, a 'safety net' - if you like - to help help Him deal with any problems he was having, or going though over the past couple of years.

Sure I could list the SADs from here till doomsday!

I'm NOT a very GOOD Catholic, but, I am one, nevertheless.

SADly, once again, this sort of thing, challenges ones Faith, and, in doing so, Calls into question:

"Where the Hell, is the Catholic Church going wrong? & Why aren't they aware of the problems some have in their daily life to drive them to such extreme ends!?"

All in all, with regards to Fr. Matts' demise, then surely to God, it will, or at best, SHOULD, make the RC Church sit up, take notice off, and address the issue as to why so many people, - especially in West Belfast, have taken the same Exit route from this life!

Again,  SAD!

Alaun

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 02:42:18 AM »
Sally Ann, I agree with most of what you have said, but being down here in Australia, I have never heard of this priest, only from my friends on facebook.
Reading between the lines, maybe Father Wallace acted as if there was nothing wrong in his life, so therefore nobody suspected that he had problems, as happens in quite a few cases.    I don't believe the Catholic church as such is going wrong( except in the terrible way they handled child abuse cases) but people's whole way of life  and thoughts have changed as regards, divorce, abortion, and other issues.  I think a lot of people consider God a 'killjoy' and a bore, and have fallen away from the church, because they want to do their own thing, and that doesn't include God.  At the end of the day everybody is born with a 'free will' and as it says in the bible' If your conscience doesn't bother you...you have nothing to fear in the presence of God. I feel that we cannot apportion blame to any one person, institution, or community, when someone decides to (use your words) exit this world the way they choose. I was so very sorry to read about this poor man, may he be now in peace. 

Daveyd

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 03:50:50 AM »
I never knew the man or for that matter ever heard of him before this thread. Given the comments posted, I think my life is a little poorer for this.