Author Topic: Sirocco Works, Bridge End. East Belfast  (Read 8594 times)

chi

Re: Sirocco Works, Bridge End. East Belfast
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »
The Sirocco had two factories, both located in the Short Strand area. I personally lived next door to one of them.
Of all those years I only knew one person from the area worked there.
Unfortunately This factory did enforce their never a Taig about the place policy.. Accept for the odd token gesture
All an all I was ever so glad to. See this place close...I served my time as a cast iron moulder. The Sirocco was one of those very. Few factories that still retained a foundry. After several attempts to gain employment there in the 70s, I soon became aware back then that local Catholics where not welcome..

Were they located on the corner of Vulcan St? :)
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

cyclops

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 08:19:48 PM »
The photo on the test bed of a fitter installing the Pitot tubes. That looks like Billy Turner, can any one confirm?
Billy had an older brother in the D.O. and ended up in the D.O. himself.

Lisadian

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 11:56:19 PM »
To Bigagiesman. I've heard from Larry Brown that you are still knocking about. I'm now well into my research for my book on Samuel Davidson and Sirocco. The centenary of Davidson's death is 2021, so that has to be my target for getting the book published.
I'd love to see the memorabilia you have and with your permission photograph it so at least some can be captured in the book. Any chance?

Billy Fish

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 06:31:37 PM »

Terrific photos Jack. British Engineering at its best.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.

Roadracer

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 09:27:12 PM »
I remember in early 1980's working in Harland & Wolff in the EMS Test House, testing Sirocco Works fans, we bolted them down on the test bed after making sure there was no foreign material below them if there was it would have shot out through the roof.