Author Topic: HOW COME YOU LEFT BELFAST  (Read 48892 times)

Dommo

Re: HOW COME YOU LEFT BELFAST
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
although iv'e never heard of bare boat.
one day we were working on a sth african ship in the docks and they offered brian smith and manual quinn a job on board, supposidly for two weeks sailing to england and back. it was a short cut to getting your seamans book.
well, brian and manual had not been seen for over three months, they finally jumped ship and made thir way back to belfast, minus thier wages.
:D  Wild!!
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

arder lavery

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »
:D  Wild!!
i remember that at one stage the deep sea dockers were going to go on strike, if the stevedores couldn't find out where they were. i, from memory, think it was oconner mccann who came to the party and informed us that they were both ok.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Tireman

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 01:29:31 AM »
I left Belfast in 1957 at the age of 22 yrs. I figured there was more life than working 7 days every week to make a living. So I left Belfast and Mackies and came to Toronto. Things were very rough to begin with and then I ended up with a job that last 32yrs. I retired when I was almost 55yrs. Have travelled the world on Cruise ships  have been to every continent except Antarctica.  Have had a very comfortable life and now live in a gated community with its own private golf course and club house with pool gym etc. I met my wife in Carnlough while we where both on holiday. She followed me to Canada and are now married 57yrs come November. All the best from Tireman.

I left Belfast in 1957
i remember that at one stage the deep sea dockers were going to go on strike, if the stevedores couldn't find out where they were. i, from memory, think it was oconner mccann who came to the party and informed us that they were both ok.

arder lavery

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
I left Belfast in 1957 at the age of 22 yrs. I figured there was more life than working 7 days every week to make a living. So I left Belfast and Mackies and came to Toronto. Things were very rough to begin with and then I ended up with a job that last 32yrs. I retired when I was almost 55yrs. Have travelled the world on Cruise ships  have been to every continent except Antarctica.  Have had a very comfortable life and now live in a gated community with its own private golf course and club house with pool gym etc. I met my wife in Carnlough while we where both on holiday. She followed me to Canada and are now married 57yrs come November. All the best from Tireman.

I left Belfast in 1957
how beautiful. congrat's
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Tireman

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »
how beautiful. congrat's
hi arder lavery
My wife  was born and lived in Alliance Ave until coming to Canada. She was in one of the 4 houses that was bombed during the troubles at Berwick Road and Alliance Ave. The ground then became a peace park and they have now rebuilt 4 new houses.All the best Tireman[/

Seadun

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
Hi Arder:
My wife and I were shopping at Woolworths in the seventies and my wee daughter, all of two years old, toddled over to the security guard, with her arms held up and out to her sides, ready to be searched.  No one had told her to do this and the old guy thought it was very cute; we went to Canada House that same day and started the emigration procedure.

zeebeedee

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »
Woke up one day in 1977 in my 2 up 2 down with no hot water, outside toilet and rats and thought what the hell is there here worth fighting for and what is there to bring my kids up to look forward to. So I left within a week and never looked back, I tend only to return for funerals while my wife does weddings and christenings

;) 
Political Correctness is the new Fascism
There is no-one more unchristian than the devout Christian

doffer3

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 11:48:22 PM »

I left Belfast in 1957

hi tireman ,you left same yr as me ,,,,,though i still miss the old city belfast i must say since i left i know for me it was the correct thing and have never looked back done well  much better than had i stayed ,,,,,,buti say that for personal reasons ,nothing to do with belfast itself ,

kate.o

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 12:41:04 AM »
I left in 70 it was more for my kids , I wanted a better future for them, I love OZ  butt will always have a soft spot and miss the place I was born and the people I loved. :-* :-*

Tipperdarby

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
Hi Arder:
My wife and I were shopping at Woolworths in the seventies and my wee daughter, all of two years old, toddled over to the security guard, with her arms held up and out to her sides, ready to be searched.  No one had told her to do this and the old guy thought it was very cute; we went to Canada House that same day and started the emigration procedure.
Wow, good for you Seadun. I read your post out to my daughter and she couldn't believe it.She was born in 1977 8 weeks after we left Belfast. Welcome to the Belfast Forum.It is great reading about people's memories. I immigrated to Calgary in 1977 and never regretted it. However, I love the BF and the memories that come to the surface, memories I didn't realize were still in the old brain:)

Seadun

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 12:18:59 PM »
Hi Tipperdarby:
Thanks for the welcome note! I really enjoy reading these postings; brings back lots of memories -- mostly good!
We left for Canada (Ontario) in 1977 too and although, like you, there was a lot I missed (especially the family), I've never regretted it either.  I find it kinda weird that when I read the forum and think of Belfast, I see it as it was when I was growing up; I guess I mean that that's my Belfast -- that's where my memories "live" -- I really don't feel any connection to the city I was born in any more   but I cherish the memories of the one I grew up in.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 02:13:28 PM »
Hi Tipperdarby:
Thanks for the welcome note! I really enjoy reading these postings; brings back lots of memories -- mostly good!
We left for Canada (Ontario) in 1977 too and although, like you, there was a lot I missed (especially the family), I've never regretted it either.  I find it kinda weird that when I read the forum and think of Belfast, I see it as it was when I was growing up; I guess I mean that that's my Belfast -- that's where my memories "live" -- I really don't feel any connection to the city I was born in any more   but I cherish the memories of the one I grew up in.
That is exactly how I feel Seadun. The Belfast that we grew up in doesn't exist any more but I always feel a connection when I meet someone from Belfast. We are the same people with that wonderful dry humour and a more blunt way of speaking. It took me some years to learn to be a bit more diplomatic :D I am married to a lovely French Canadian man and he calls a spade a trowel while I call it a bloody shovel!!!!

mescott

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »
l left Belfast in 1975 and came to Canada to be a Nanny for a year  with my girl friend Janet, she went home after a year  and l stayed and married my husband that was 38 years and three kids  ago l still go home as often as l can and still call Belfast my home   Mescott

Sachs

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 09:23:08 AM »
Left with my family in March '74 for Hamilton Ontario.
I am now Canadian first and last but proud to be a Belfast man.
The old place still has part of me.

Astor

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 09:45:57 AM »
I left Belfast in 1967 just to see what London was like.  A couple of years later I met my husband Brendan (now deceased) so we made our lives here and had a nice lifestyle and lots of friends, even though we were both Irish.   I have to say that my heart is still in Belfast though :)

Some lovely stories here, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all  :)
Que Sera Sera

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy