Author Topic: HOW COME YOU LEFT BELFAST  (Read 48894 times)

Dommo

Re: HOW COME YOU LEFT BELFAST
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »
I left Belfast in 1967 just to see what London was like.  A couple of years later I met my husband Brendan (now deceased) so we made our lives here and had a nice lifestyle and lots of friends, even though we were both Irish.   I have to say that my heart is still in Belfast though :)

Some lovely stories here, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all  :)
I left for LUV... :D
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Astor

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 10:45:26 PM »
I left for LUV... :D

That doesn't tell us much Dommo ???    Did you meet your wife in Belfast or abroad or is it a secret  ;)
Que Sera Sera

bridge ender

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »
Hi All
 a lot of people left Belfast with a crowd behind them!!!!

BE

Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

sonofshanks

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 11:54:53 PM »
Hi All
 a lot of people left Belfast with a crowd behind them!!!!

BE

:D
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Dommo

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 12:09:22 AM »

That doesn't tell us much Dommo ???    Did you meet your wife in Belfast or abroad or is it a secret  ;)
Why did you assume it had anything to do with her?  :D

Bigali

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:30 AM »
The question I ask myself is how in the name of Jaysus  I came to BE in Belfast !  :o  Joke !  :)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

barry

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 01:06:04 AM »
The question I ask myself is how in the name of Jaysus  I came to BE in Belfast !  :o  Joke !  :)

Did  ya  take  the  wrong  Bus   ;) ;) :D
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

Bigali

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 01:14:20 AM »

Did  ya  take  the  wrong  Bus   ;) ;) :D

Thought I was goin til Millisle for me holidays , got aff at the Hack by mistake  :-\
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

barry

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 01:37:40 AM »

Thought I was goin til Millisle for me holidays , got aff at the Hack by mistake  :-\

:D  Many  a  time  I  fell  asleep  on  the  bus  on  my   way

Home  after  having  a  few  jars  in  the  City ( Belfast )  I  lived

in  Ardoyne  at  that  time,   woke  up  at  the  Ligoneil  loop

:drinks: :drinks:
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

Astor

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 10:12:49 AM »
Why did you assume it had anything to do with her?  :D

Norty Norty O secretive one  ::)
Que Sera Sera

Dommo

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »
Norty Norty O secretive one  ::)
I actually left befast to go and live in Eire. I was working for the Revenue commission and living in Rathmines. It was nice to get away from the nonsense. Back in them days they had wee stupid parades and fights about trivia. But that was loooooooong ago   :D

Captain_Pugwash

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2015, 04:00:09 PM »
Working as an apprentice, fell into a bit of bad company, troubles related. Sentenced to Borstal Training which did not suit and was almost dismissed as a Borstal failure. Released but prior to release I realised that this country had nothing for me. Moved to England after my 18th birthday, got a few jobs, applied back for college and was able to kickstart my apprenticeship education coupled with similar work in an engineering plant. Finished education, passed exams, had a look around and decided i did not want to turn out like my workmates , all married in early 20s, saddled with mortgages so I applied for the Royal Marines. Not initially accepted as I had been in trouble with the lawso went to the Army, they had no real problem with this and 3 weeks later I was a recruit. More training, followed by more education then posted to Germany in 1980, joined an Infantry Unit that was about to embark on Op Banner in West Belfast. Returned on Op tour in 1981. The place had not changed a bit. Even the 70s fashions were still in place. Inside 6 years I had turned full circle from being in the pits, lower thaan even many west Belfast losers into a well adjusted well equipped individual, ready for life's challenges such as finance, housing, recreation and travel. Left the Army after 15 years and have been in business ever since. Not always been easy but have always been able to breakout of a rut.
I think what went wrong with Belfast back in the 70s and 80s was there was never any realistic encouragement to move away and make a life elsewhere. It's not easy to make that break as a young person but it's a heck of a legup in life's ascending ladder. Now when I return to Belfast, I see a dead industry that has been offshored in engineering works, and I see a government that is more concerned with their own parties rather than the needs of people who they have been elected to represent. The City I rembered from the 60s as  live vibrant place, died in the 70s 80s , was resurrected in 90s and 00s but is now once again on the decline. It needs inward investment and the lions share needs to be sparked by  those from within. An interesting challenge but a valid one for anybody who has the intiative to force integration against the politicians will to keep division.
Rant Over.

chi

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2015, 11:21:33 PM »
Working as an apprentice, fell into a bit of bad company, troubles related. Sentenced to Borstal Training which did not suit and was almost dismissed as a Borstal failure. Released but prior to release I realised that this country had nothing for me. Moved to England after my 18th birthday, got a few jobs, applied back for college and was able to kickstart my apprenticeship education coupled with similar work in an engineering plant. Finished education, passed exams, had a look around and decided i did not want to turn out like my workmates , all married in early 20s, saddled with mortgages so I applied for the Royal Marines. Not initially accepted as I had been in trouble with the lawso went to the Army, they had no real problem with this and 3 weeks later I was a recruit. More training, followed by more education then posted to Germany in 1980, joined an Infantry Unit that was about to embark on Op Banner in West Belfast. Returned on Op tour in 1981. The place had not changed a bit. Even the 70s fashions were still in place. Inside 6 years I had turned full circle from being in the pits, lower thaan even many west Belfast losers into a well adjusted well equipped individual, ready for life's challenges such as finance, housing, recreation and travel. Left the Army after 15 years and have been in business ever since. Not always been easy but have always been able to breakout of a rut.
I think what went wrong with Belfast back in the 70s and 80s was there was never any realistic encouragement to move away and make a life elsewhere. It's not easy to make that break as a young person but it's a heck of a legup in life's ascending ladder. Now when I return to Belfast, I see a dead industry that has been offshored in engineering works, and I see a government that is more concerned with their own parties rather than the needs of people who they have been elected to represent. The City I rembered from the 60s as  live vibrant place, died in the 70s 80s , was resurrected in 90s and 00s but is now once again on the decline. It needs inward investment and the lions share needs to be sparked by  those from within. An interesting challenge but a valid one for anybody who has the intiative to force integration against the politicians will to keep division.
Rant Over.

Congratulations! you made it. :clapping:
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

CherylBernadette

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 04:59:45 AM »
We left in the 80's.  Many left in the mid 60's but kept coming back then moving then leaving again.  left because of the troubles but it was also what drew them back.  In the 80's stopped moving back and stayed in England.

Dun Eideann

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
This is my first post.

I left in 2000 to go to Uni in Glasgow, as most Malone road Grammar school people tend to  :)

I dropped out of Uni after a year, didnt like the course, but soon got a job in retail, then call centres. Worked my way into IT and now married in Edinburgh.

Thats for now anyway.  the chance to bring my family back over to Belfast has arisen and I'm interested.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy