Author Topic: Does anyone rember The Belfast Military Band from Tennents street  (Read 10851 times)

bothy

Re: Does anyone rember The Belfast Military Band from Tennents street
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
Of course! I couldn't remember your surname but as soon as you posted it it all came back. It's been a long time. Hope you have happy memories of those days back in the 60's. Great bunch of guys in the band. Any photo's? they seem to be rare. My name is Malcolm Bothwell, do you remember Davy English who also played drums?

william60485

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »
Hi Malcolm good to hear from you mate. I remember most of the guys in the band. It was a brilliant band and i enjoyed every minute of it. My email address is [email protected]
Billy Hoey

elsiehutchinson

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2013, 11:03:56 PM »
hi someone mentioned the castle press i lived in ewarts row an there was an old shop an that was what it was called castle press i heard they were printers but never knew what they printed       Ewarts row was off the crumlin road was wondering if it was the same one

Crooksy

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2013, 01:08:43 AM »
hi elsiehutchinson I was the one who put the mention of the castle press, and yes that was the place you remember I was only 15 when I started there, stayed for just over a year,
Crooksy

william60485

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 09:31:24 AM »
Hi Malcolm where are you living now
Billy Hoey

bothy

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 12:18:41 PM »
Hi William, glad you picked up on the topic, I came across it just surfing, glad I did as it holds great memories especially when members like yourself reply. If this keeps up we can hold a reunion!!! So far you, me and Crooksy, long way to go but most of the members will have passed on by now. I'm no spring chicken myself, well retired and collecting my pension. Bought a wee bungalow in the Comber area a few years ago. When I left the band I never joined another but still take an intrest in brass band music. Some of my mates play with Festival Brass so I go to their concerts, Peter Corry sings with them as his family are very involved. Worth a google. Best wishes, great to hear from you.   :) 

william60485

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
Hi Malcolm. Thanks for your reply. Well i am 62, married and live in Larne. I left school when i was 15 and went into the Merchant Navy until 1983. I then took a few security jobs, got married in 1989, i am an administrator now although i have  been on the sick for quite a while as i had a stroke and has blinded me un one eye so i have only about 60% of sight also i am waiting for a left hip replacement this month. It would be good to have a reunion. Best regards. William  :)
Billy Hoey

bothy

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2013, 06:52:11 PM »
Sorry to hear what you have been through, by coincidence my wife is due a hip replacement either late this month or early December if all goes to plan. She is attending Musgrave at present for pre op tests. Hope all goes well for you.

william60485

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »
Thanks mate. Is Dave English still going. What was the drum majors surname, i know his first name was Charlie
Billy Hoey

bothy

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »
Lost touch with Davy dont know how he's doing. Drum major was Charlie Golding.

william60485

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »
I remember him now. I do hope you will keep in touch Malcolm and if you are ever in Larne. Please do get in touch. My mobile number is 07523007893. Take care and best regards to you and your wife. William
Billy Hoey

william60485

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »
Hi Malcolm my email address is [email protected]
Billy Hoey

william60485

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
are you on malcolm :)
Billy Hoey

sonofshanks

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »
Remember Davy English coming along to our BB, mid 1960s ( 99th St.Mathews) to give us a few drumming lessons. He was brought along by Harold Hill Snr. who was connected to our BB and played trombone in the 55th Old Boys, if I remember correctly.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

william60485

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2013, 08:20:09 PM »
Hi mate thanks for the unfo re Bobby
Billy Hoey