Author Topic: Does anyone rember The Belfast Military Band from Tennents street  (Read 10838 times)

william60485

Re: Does anyone rember The Belfast Military Band from Tennents street
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
Sorry that should if read Davy
Billy Hoey

william60485

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
What's up Malcolm
Billy Hoey

william60485

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
Would any past members of the band be interested in a reunion after the New Year in Belfast
Billy Hoey

Slybacon

« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »
My Brother, who I mentioned earlier played the French horn ( and tuba ), visited me last week from Edmonton. I asked if he remembered any names and he gave me a list. Here goes : Jim Best---conductor, Bob Agnew---euphonium & conductor,
Billy Thomson---trumpet, Victor Stewart---cornet, Billy Weston---cornet, Peter Dawson---base trombone, Newel Harkness---trombone, Roy Smith---trombone, Michael Thomson (Billy's Son)---trombone, Jimmy Miller---tenor horn, Dickey McKay---sax, Bob Marshal---tuba, Harry Orr---flute/piccolo, Berry Marshall---Bflat clarinet, Sammy Allen---clarinet, Isabel Clarke---clarinet, Carol Agnew---obo, Davey English---drums, Ginger---Eflat tuba. My Brother has a very good memory but bad writing but I write it as I see it. One other, Charvey Golding---drum major.       

bothy

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »
Wow, lots of names and memories there. When we returned to the bandroom after each twelfth day parade, Sammy Allen the band treasurer would call us up individually and hand us a small brown envelope with our financial reward for the day. From memory I think it was about ten shillings, a handsome sum then but in today's world laughable at 50p. Oh my how things have changed!! "Ginger" the tuba player mentioned was called Stephen but I can't remember his surname.

william60485

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
I remember the wee brown envelopes Malcolm. They were brilliant times and i know we were all proud of the band and smart on the march
Billy Hoey

sonofshanks

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »
Certainly anyone connected with the Band should be very proud of themselves. One of the best Bands ever. Smartly turned out and music to stir the soul.  :)  Pity they aren't still going.  :(
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

hathaway

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »
I worked with Victor Stewart in Standard Telephones. His family had a grocery shop on the corner of Glenwood Street and Shankill Road. Victor ended up playing with Whitehouse Silver.

sonofshanks

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
I worked with Victor Stewart in Standard Telephones. His family had a grocery shop on the corner of Glenwood Street and Shankill Road. Victor ended up playing with Whitehouse Silver.

It was Victor Stewart I was thinking off, but couldn't remember his name. I thought it was Joe but that was his elder brother who ran the shop.  :)
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Slybacon

« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2013, 06:15:37 AM »
Hi Bothy, the tuba player (Stephen) is my Brother.

bothy

« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »
Hi Slybacon, I remember your brother really well and enjoyed his company. If he is on the internet it would be good to hear from him. William and I left the band before it disbanded but we would like to know when this happened. Any info on this would be good. Please say hello to Stephen from me the next time you are in touch with him. Thanks.

Slybacon

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
Hi Malcolm Bothy, here is my Brother's email : [email protected] : He remembers you well but if you contact him, don't expect a quick reply as he is very busy and is not very good at keeping contact with anyone.

MResearch

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2013, 01:35:49 AM »
Hi - Would this Mr James Agnew having thing to do with Ashfield Dairy on Holywood Road ?

Slybacon

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2013, 04:49:02 AM »
Hi MResearch, my Brother an I both live in Canada.

By

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2014, 11:42:13 AM »
Hi bothy, George Livingstone ( my uncle) left BMB and went to Agnes st silver band, he was my idol a great man. Sadly he passed away in 2007 I still miss him. He started off in Col Eager brass band he took me with him and taught me the cornet. His father was in the Col Eager when it was a flute band,he played the side drum.