Author Topic: Does anyone rember The Belfast Military Band from Tennents street  (Read 10843 times)

Crooksy

I played in it when I was 14 the conductor was a man called James Agnew he aso was my boss , IWas learning to play the Clarinet at the time I also worked for Mr. Agnew as an apprentice compositor,
Crooksy

sonofshanks

Re: Does anyone rember The Belfast Military Band from Tennents street
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
Remember it well, great band it was as well. I used to work with a fellow called Billy Weston who played in it and I also knew a guy called Joe (cant remember his surname) who played in it as well, he worked in the Co-op at the corner of Glenwood Street.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Crooksy

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »
Hi "Sonofshanks"  thanks for getting back to me, I don,t remember to much about it myself a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, I'm 66 just trying to remember if I have gone up the stairs or am I going down can be the 64 dollar question, IRemember a young man played the tennor sax he lived off the shore road, I think around parkmount the last IRemember of him he was heading to England to play in a dance band, six years ago I started to play in an organization called new horizons all old guys this is in Canada, well I met an old guy in his 80's called Stan Lyn he had his own dance band in the 50's toured all over the British isles, turned out he also played in the Belfast MIlitary the conductor was his neighbour,  small world,.. imagine comming 3thousand miles to bump into some one you played with 52years earlier,
Bye for now and thanks again for getting Back to me
any thing you could remember about the Band would be greatly appreciated
Crooksy

sonofshanks

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 04:21:49 PM »
Just remembered another guy who played in it, Malcolm Bothwell from Battenberg Street on the Shankill Road. He was known as `Malky`.

Crooksy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »
Hi Sonofshanks I was fom Mountvernon park the only guy I knew from the Shankill was a guy called BIlly Pratt from Raga street , he was a printer in the Castle press where I worked BOb Agnew was our Boss he owned the place,
Crooksy

Slybacon

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 05:36:02 AM »
My Brother played the French horn in the 60s. I remember them marching and playing "puppet on a string", the crowd went nuts.

Crooksy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »
Hi "Slybacon" thanks for getting back, I played around the late 60's I was anly 14 I remember playing in th band stand in the Alexander Park, and I think I walked one 12th, It would be good if someone came on to the thread with photo's..I'm sure there must be some out there,
cheers
Crooksy

By

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
My uncle ,George livingstone was the deputy conductor in the 1950s. If anyone has any photos of this time would love to see them, my uncle passed away in 07 he is greatly missed.

RobRoy

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »
I played in it when I was 14 the conductor was a man called James Agnew he aso was my boss , IWas learning to play the Clarinet at the time I also worked for Mr. Agnew as an apprentice compositor,
Crooksy

Hi Crooksy,  Stan Lynn was from the Greymount/Whitewell area and his younger brother Geordie played in the 95th. BB band and later joined his brother's band. Mister Agnew was the bandmaster of the 95th. they had both bugle and brass bands marching and playing together.

Brown low

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »
Hi Crooksy,  Stan Lynn was from the Greymount/Whitewell area and his younger brother Geordie played in the 95th. BB band and later joined his brother's band. Mister Agnew was the bandmaster of the 95th. they had both bugle and brass bands marching and playing together.

George Lynn worked in Michelen in Ballymena, his sister Jean lives the next cul-de-Sac to us in Merville Garden Village.   She used to visit Stan every other year. We kept an eye on her flat.

Crooksy

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 01:23:52 AM »
"wow".. Brownlow small world last I heard of Stan he was playing in a Baptist Church in Ajax Ontario Canada, what a great we man, he moved in with his piano player after her husband passed away the three of them where great friends for a long time, she lived in a secured little estate called,  Wilmote Creek they where both in there 80's so it was a wise move for both of them, last year my wife was in hospital with a broken wrist, and stan was there for a checkup, you know I played with him for a while six years ago in the.... New horizons Bowmanvile  Concert Band he played Trumpet and I played  Clarinet
bye for now
Crooksy

Farnsbarn

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 12:30:50 AM »
My uncle ,George livingstone was the deputy conductor in the 1950s. If anyone has any photos of this time would love to see them, my uncle passed away in 07 he is greatly missed.

Hi By,
      In the late 50's, we had a wee Dixieland group that played at the university `Hops'. Derek Gibson, Pedlow Uprichard, John Maze, Harold Liggett and a guy that played with the Belfast Military Band called George Galway. George played the clarinet at the time, but later on, he switched to the flute. George was the brother of Sir James Galway, some say that he was as good as his brother, and a few say that he was even better. Another guy that played with us for a while from BMB was a George Livingsone, I assume that was your uncle. I've lost touch with that whole scene, but it's nice to find a link with the past. By the way, Derek, Pedlow, John and Harold, all played with the 46th Old Boys' Silver.
     Regards,
            Farnsbarn. 

bothy

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
Hi all, came across this while surfing and was surprised to see my name appearing. Thanks sonofshanks for remembering me, lol.  I played drums from the early sixties until the mid seventies, and can give you lots of members names if anyone is really interested, but of course we are going back fifty years! Loved every minute of my time spent with the band, great people and boy could they play. Thanks for stirring lots of good memories with this post, best wishes all.

harrydunn

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
Welcome to The Forum Bothy hope you stay a while, have a look at the Shankill Rd thread lots of interesting things going on there any stories photos are welcome.

sonofshanks

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 08:32:01 PM »
Hi all, came across this while surfing and was surprised to see my name appearing. Thanks sonofshanks for remembering me, lol.  I played drums from the early sixties until the mid seventies, and can give you lots of members names if anyone is really interested, but of course we are going back fifty years! Loved every minute of my time spent with the band, great people and boy could they play. Thanks for stirring lots of good memories with this post, best wishes all.

Good to hear from you, old boy and welcome to the forum. I lived in Brookmount Street and worked in Mackies. I worked with Billy Weston who was in the band, I can't remember the guy's name who was in the band and worked in the grocery shop at the corner of Shankill Rd and Glenwood Street. Think it started out as a small co-op and became a Mace ?