Author Topic: Fairyknowe Cottages off Whitewell road,  (Read 914 times)

Tess

Fairyknowe Cottages off Whitewell road,
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »
Does anyone remember the cottages, they were almost opposite Belle Vue Park Road as I recall. My gran lived in one of them and we used to watch the ships going past in the distance. I am trying to trace her family who all lived around the area.

sandymc

Re: Fairyknowe Cottages off Whitewell road,
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:19:13 AM »
Tess sorry I remember the cottages but I lived further down the Whitewell  but I hope someone else will be able to help .
Sandra

old wallion

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »
Hi Tess
What was your Grans name, which years did she live there??? :)
Regards
OW

Tess

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »
Her name was Mary Harris and she lived at no 2 not sure when she moved there but I used to go every summer from age 5 to 12 so she definitely lived there in 1957  to about 1962. She could have lived there a lot earlier than that. opposite there was a family called Macauley who lived on belle vue par road. They had 2 boxer dogs but no kids.

Joy McVeigh Maze

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
Yes, I remember Fairyknowe cottages because they were part of my childhood. They were located immediately south of the house of that name on the Whitewell Road  Before 1955, they were part of "Fairyknowe" house property.  All together there were 40 acres of land with orchards and the cottages. My grandfather, Thomas J. McVeigh rented this property for many years and all improvements were made by him.  The cottages were rented out to his groundskeepers, dairymen and laborers.  T.J. McVeigh bred Friesian cattle here.  In 1935 he had the most modern byre in Ireland with electric milking machines, and automatic drinking systems in the stalls for the cows. Both the house and, I assume, the byre have been demolished and only the name remains.

Culbawn

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 01:08:40 PM »
Yes, I remember Fairyknowe cottages because they were part of my childhood. They were located immediately south of the house of that name on the Whitewell Road  Before 1955, they were part of "Fairyknowe" house property.  All together there were 40 acres of land with orchards and the cottages. My grandfather, Thomas J. McVeigh rented this property for many years and all improvements were made by him.  The cottages were rented out to his groundskeepers, dairymen and laborers.  T.J. McVeigh bred Friesian cattle here.  In 1935 he had the most modern byre in Ireland with electric milking machines, and automatic drinking systems in the stalls for the cows. Both the house and, I assume, the byre have been demolished and only the name remains.

Culbawn

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »
Hi Joy

I also stayed at Fairy Knowe many years ago and my grandfather was also Thomas James McVeigh.My mother was Kathleen McVeigh. I retired 10 years ago and have spent many hours researching the McVeigh family tree and have managed to go back to the early 1800. I think the last time we met was when Charles andI were staying at Fairy Knowe.

I hope you receive this massage and look forward to hearing from you.

David