Author Topic: Jaffa Memorial School  (Read 6798 times)

sj

Re: Jaffa Memorial School
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 06:57:17 AM »
Hi sj, I  always remember going home from the Jaffa crying my eyes out as they sat me next to a BOY and I had always sat next to girls and mostly the same ones at Queen Victoria, I felt lost and was glad to return to Queen Vic. My how times change! :D Lilian

Hello Lilian,

You mean that you got used to sitting beside a boy. :D   How long did you live on the North side of Belfast and where was Queen Victoria school.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 05:47:01 PM »

Hello Lilian,

You mean that you got used to sitting beside a boy. :D   How long did you live on the North side of Belfast and where was Queen Victoria school.
Hello sj from a wet and very windy Boston, England. Do you know I can't remember how long I was there but remember my granny dying and they kept her in the back room. I was scared stiff, our cousin used to creep upstairs, sneek under the bed and make spooky noises to scare me and my sister. He locked my sister in the room where she was laid out and that's scary to a kid. Anyway after that as I said I went back to Queen Victoria when mum's stint at nursing finished. Queen Vic was in Durham Street, the last or one of the last streets on the Grosvenor Road. Need to get back more often to jog the memory. ??? Lilian ps Hated sitting next to the boy, don't mind now though! :D

sj

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »
 I never got to sit beside a girl ever.....the nearest was a school dance or dancing at the Astor. :)

jdjd

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
hi
   i have just joined the forum. i went to the jaffe school in the fifties when st enochs closed down. some off the pupils went to browns square and some went to the jaffe. i remember a miss munroe and a mr hayes

sj

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 04:28:42 PM »
JDJD……..Welcome to the forum ;)  I lived near the school and some blokes whom I knew went to it.   Could you confirm that was mainly , or that Jewish children went to it.

Beardysgirl

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 01:01:11 AM »
JDJD……..Welcome to the forum ;)  I lived near the school and some blokes whom I knew went to it.   Could you confirm that was mainly , or that Jewish children went to it.
[/quote

Google in history of Jews North Belfast says it was non demoninational

sj

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »
I've just read a history of the Jews in Belfast and it says that it opened as a Jewish school but they welcomed all people ;)

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »
I've just read a history of the Jews in Belfast and it says that it opened as a Jewish school but they welcomed all people ;)
Hi sj, That's they way it should be at schools, mix 'em all up and let them get on with each other, lifes too short, I have worked with people from all over the world, literally yellow, black and white and do not like discrimination in any way, shape or form. I have friends who are Jewish and they are lovely people. Lilian

sj

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 04:00:56 PM »
Lillian,

That should be the way of life but in the North of Ireland I am not sure that it could happen .  The Jaffa school was not a state school but I must check it before someone sets fire to me? :D

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
Lillian,

That should be the way of life but in the North of Ireland I am not sure that it could happen .  The Jaffa school was not a state school but I must check it before someone sets fire to me? :D
Hello again sj, Well my parents never paid for us to go there and we were only there while my mum helped nurse our granny, we returned to our usual school after she died. Lilian

Oldbarzo

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 05:57:11 PM »
Hi
I went to the Jaffa from 1950 until 53 then to Finiston and on to the Model Boys.
Jaffa was mixed but I believe that the Jewish children stayed behind at school end
for instruction by their Rabbi.

Douglas

kjs

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »
My mother, Violet (Cunningham) Nolan from Liffey Street attended Jaffa Primary School in the 1930/40's.

dougie boy

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 01:12:46 PM »
my brother Fred Dougan attended the Jaffa 1950's
If this is old age I hope I die young

Lyttlelucky

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
I went to jaffa school /centre around 78/79 .
Was not on dole or jewish  :) .
Just vaugly rem bits .

Lyttlelucky

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »
I rem walkin (often running to avoid new lodge kids) over from Tigers Bay.
The school had teens from all over Bfast  Falls Shankill n so on..
Was ist time i ever met kids that wernt what i was !!  During the troubles.
Was like a last chance saloon for lots of us education wise with lots of 1 to 1teaching involved..
I for ex had been to 3 dif primary n 2 secondry schools by time i was 14 others were similar..