Author Topic: Please help my husband find his Irish Family  (Read 2290 times)

Wife of a Sandy Row Boy

Please help my husband find his Irish Family
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:02:06 PM »
We are sitting in a club in Sandy Row as I write having come to Belfast on a family finding mission.  Here are some things we know :-
My husband's mother was called Esther Patterson, who became Esther Cambell before she married his Father, a Welshman, called Elvet Lewis.  Her father we believe is called William James Patterson and he worked for Harland and Wolfe during the building of the Titanic and for years afterwards.  He worked on the ship my husband's father was a sailor on during the war and this is how his mother and father met.  She disappeared without trace when he was only 8 years old and has not been seen nor heard from since.  Somehow she is related to Mary Thompson who was killed when a wall fell on her in 1971 after an IRA bomb went off next door to the Salvation Army office in Dublin Road.  She was a member of the Salvation Army and we believe Esther or her mother were "orange ladies".  I would be grateful for any info.  Another family name of connection is Jackie Lemon. Family lived in Blythe street, clementine street and Dorchester street.  Thanks

breenbox

Re: Please help my husband find his Irish Family
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 06:48:29 PM »
Suggest you put your message on the 'Sandy Row' thread. By the way,
welcome to Belfast Forum and good luck with your search.
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »
I just posted a link to your  message on the Sandy Row thread along with this message.

Sandy Row Folks. Can you read the attached link to a BF pages.
I just came across this and have put up the link. I was thinking that if these folks on holiday in Belfast they might be working on an Iphone or tablet so it might be a bit hard to repost the original message.

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,4049.12030.html

This is the link to the Sandy Row thread for you.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

Val

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 12:53:51 AM »
 This is the original message Irishdiva is referring too:

We are sitting in a club in Sandy Row as I write having come to Belfast on a family finding mission.  Here are some things we know :-
My husband's mother was called Esther Patterson, who became Esther Cambell before she married his Father, a Welshman, called Elvet Lewis.  Her father we believe is called William James Patterson and he worked for Harland and Wolfe during the building of the Titanic and for years afterwards.  He worked on the ship my husband's father was a sailor on during the war and this is how his mother and father met.  She disappeared without trace when he was only 8 years old and has not been seen nor heard from since.  Somehow she is related to Mary Thompson who was killed when a wall fell on her in 1971 after an IRA bomb went off next door to the Salvation Army office in Dublin Road.  She was a member of the Salvation Army and we believe Esther or her mother were "orange ladies".  I would be grateful for any info.  Another family name of connection is Jackie Lemon. Family lived in Blythe street, clementine street and Dorchester street.  Thanks   

brianalex

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:18:10 AM »
Hi, the lady that was killed by the falling wall was the aunt of Isobel Murphy who lived in Blythe St.  Isobel married Elwyn Edgar
about 1966 & is living in Bangor co. Down.  I was their groomsman, but we've lost touch as I live in Scotland.
Message me if you need more info.     

Hayley70

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »
Just wonder did you find any info for your husband. My mother is a niece off mamie thompson