Author Topic: Fish & Chip shops and restaurants  (Read 14318 times)

sonofshanks

Re: Fish & Chip shops and restaurants
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »
Bishops used to be good at Shaftsbury Square but the only ten out of ten fish supper I have had in the past year was The Portaferry Hotel.  A long way to go for a fish supper but - if you're ever down that way.

Spot on, old boy. A mere stones throw from myself. ( if you have a good arm, that is) lol  :D
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

EllCee

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »
"The Manta Ray" chippy at the Greenway in Cregagh is excellent. 

The owner started off in a caravan in the carpark at the shops.  He did well as he has only one arm.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Bigali

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 10:56:16 PM »

Absolutely, old boy, goes without saying. Most decent Fish and Chip shops use real spuds, only the Burger van type chippies use frozen chips, in my experience, which is considerable in these matters. Lol.  :D

There is a recent addition to the chippy genre in Ballyhack, I won't name the place but it uses the cheapest pre cut chips which are disgusting and anaemic pasties and sausages. I've tried it twice , never again, I don't think it will last long. The HOT SPOT it ain't !
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

sonofshanks

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 11:12:27 PM »
When Harry Ramsdens opened at York Gate years ago, I thought their Fish and Chips to be of excellent quality. My understanding was that they had sent experienced Fish fryers over from England, to get the Belfast branch up and running. However, after several visits to Ramsdens over the years, I found that the quality of the food was definitely going down hill.
I did visit a few Ramsdens in Yorkshire and found them to be of excellent quality.
I think both Ramsdens in Belfast are now closed, not sure about the one in Lisburn, which I found terrible.

EllCee

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 11:16:52 PM »
Didn't there used to be a Ramsden's at Dundonald?  At the garage/shops on the N'Ards side of the village?

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Bigali

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 11:18:27 PM »
When Harry Ramsdens opened at York Gate years ago, I thought their Fish and Chips to be of excellent quality. My understanding was that they had sent experienced Fish fryers over from England, to get the Belfast branch up and running. However, after several visits to Ramsdens over the years, I found that the quality of the food was definitely going down hill.
I did visit a few Ramsdens in Yorkshire and found them to be of excellent quality.
I think both Ramsdens in Belfast are now closed, not sure about the one in Lisburn, which I found terrible.

Ate in the Yorkgate one at least ten years ago and if I remember correctly it was good, the take out on Botanic Avenue wasn't so hot though  :(

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

river rats

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 11:18:42 PM »
I don't know what they did with the food but it always give me the runs.
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

Bigali

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 11:21:41 PM »
Didn't there used to be a Ramsden's at Dundonald?  At the garage/shops on the N'Ards side of the village?

Was that not Papa Johns ?

sonofshanks

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »

Yes, you are correct, forgot about that one. So, three in Belfast and one in Lisburn. Wonder why they packed it in ?

sonofshanks

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »

Was that not Papa Johns ?

Was originally a Ramsdens.

Bigali

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »

Was originally a Ramsdens.

Thanks for that, just for the record, Papa Johns was crap too !  :bad:

river rats

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
What about kens there was queues for miles to get in and we must not forget Ringos in gt Victoria street loved his cheese and onion pasties
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

sonofshanks

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 11:51:53 PM »
What about kens there was queues for miles to get in and we must not forget Ringos in gt Victoria street loved his cheese and onion pasties

Kens at Bridge End did excellent food. Loved his Fish in breadcrumbs. Stayed open Friday, Saturday nights until 2-00 am. Called in many a night on my way back from the Queens Court and Viking in Bangor. Lol  :)

EllCee

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2013, 12:07:36 AM »

Kens at Bridge End did excellent food. Loved his Fish in breadcrumbs. Stayed open Friday, Saturday nights until 2-00 am. Called in many a night on my way back from the Queens Court and Viking in Bangor. Lol  :)

Ah, the Queen's Court.

On my first trip to Libya, I met a guy at London Airport also on his first trip to the same job.  He had a Belfast accent, and his name was Gerry Hassett.  When I asked if he was related to the Gerry Hassett at the Queen's Court, he said, "That's my Dad".  We were good friends after that.

NI is a small world.

EllCee

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2013, 12:19:55 AM »

Gerry Hassett Snr, ex boxer, was a bouncer at the Queens Court for many years. Think he had to pack it in when the 'troubles' went into full swing, so to speak.

I met him, "bouncing", in the mid 1990s at Duke's Hotel off Botanic Avenue.  We had a good chat about his son's brewing expertise in Libya and how we had been pals out there!

:D