Author Topic: Fish & Chip shops and restaurants  (Read 13742 times)

Bigali

Re: Fish & Chip shops and restaurants
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2013, 12:21:39 AM »
She was lovely.  Gorgeous.

And before you ask, I don't know.

:)

:D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

Lilian

Was that chippy on the right hand side of the street.
 Nearly at the bottom of Cavendish Street , close to the top of Gortfin Street? :-\

My aunt, used to send me to get chips there when I was a kid :)
Hi SWLRADIO, Yes as far as my memory serves me well, it was on the right hand side of the street more or less opposite or nearly to Gortfin Street Malachy Morgans was on the corner of Gortfin St. Aunt's (Mrs Kane) chippie had a stainless steel counter and there was an upstairs where she kept all the stock. Under the stairs downstairs were all the bottles of Sarsparilla, Orangeaid, Grapefruit Crush & the horrible Kali water. She used to sell scalloped potatoes, Chocolate Orange, Chocolate milk and Chocolate mint lollies. Just a wee chippie you would hardly notice but the queues used to be down the street, especially on a Friday. I used to work there on Fridays and Saturdays and used to clean that counter with a Brillo pad, it was damned hard work. I used to be compensated with a thick piece of Cod & chips, a Miranda orangeade and later a lolly + good pocket money. Happy times (except for the big moths that flew in when it got dark.) Lilian

peter mc caffrey

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »
long's on durham st is the best in belfast

eirefan

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2013, 02:00:59 AM »
As far as I was concerned The Captain's Table in D'Dee did fish suppers to die for. Making my mouth water as I type.

chink

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »
Hi SWLRADIO, Yes as far as my memory serves me well, it was on the right hand side of the street more or less opposite or nearly to Gortfin Street Malachy Morgans was on the corner of Gortfin St. Aunt's (Mrs Kane) chippie had a stainless steel counter and there was an upstairs where she kept all the stock. Under the stairs downstairs were all the bottles of Sarsparilla, Orangeaid, Grapefruit Crush & the horrible Kali water. She used to sell scalloped potatoes, Chocolate Orange, Chocolate milk and Chocolate mint lollies. Just a wee chippie you would hardly notice but the queues used to be down the street, especially on a Friday. I used to work there on Fridays and Saturdays and used to clean that counter with a Brillo pad, it was damned hard work. I used to be compensated with a thick piece of Cod & chips, a Miranda orangeade and later a lolly + good pocket money. Happy times (except for the big moths that flew in when it got dark.) Lilian
still there and still has the big stainless steel counter  think upstairs is still kept for storage

Sally Ann

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2013, 01:16:57 PM »

The Hot Spot is badly missed in the Hack  :(

When I worked up at Stormont, Hot Spot was an all time favorite for the Friday Lunch order.

Another great chippy, The Sliver Leaf Cafe on the Belmont Rd.  Was it 'George' the wee man who worked there was called? ???  Anyway, you got the 'Fishes' History when ordering, no wonder it took so long to get served! LOL! :)
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »

Lilian

Was that chippy on the right hand side of the street.
 Nearly at the bottom of Cavendish Street , close to the top of Gortfin Street? :-\

My aunt, used to send me to get chips there when I was a kid :)
Hi SWLRADIO, Sorry for taking ages to reply, it was on Cavendish St but nearly opposite the turn in to Gortfin Street, I don't think it was too far up the street. My Auntie moved to Australia in her 80's and only died a few years ago in her late 90's and they say chips are bad for you! Lilian.

The Lounge Lizard

« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »

Should you find yourself in the vicinity of the lower Newtownards Road try the 'Bethany'. Can still recommend 'Longs' just off Durham Street in Belfast. Never been disappointed by either.

The Bethany does a great fish supper...I like John Dorys as well but it can be a little hit and miss.
Memories they can't be bought,they cant be won at carnivals for free,it took me years to get those souvenirs and I don't know how they slipped away fr

SWLRADIO

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2013, 12:19:58 PM »
NP Lilian

They say everything is bad for you!

My aunt Connie who was born and bred in Gortfin Street, only recently passed away at 88 years old.

Merry Christmas Lilian

Comraderoy

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2013, 10:34:22 PM »

When I worked up at Stormont, Hot Spot was an all time favorite for the Friday Lunch order.

Another great chippy, The Sliver Leaf Cafe on the Belmont Rd.  Was it 'George' the wee man who worked there was called? ???  Anyway, you got the 'Fishes' History when ordering, no wonder it took so long to get served! LOL! :)

I worked in Stormont mid seventies, Pensions

Any Fusco's chippy / ice cream.