Author Topic: Nice bar for a first date, around the Cathedral Quarter  (Read 4024 times)

Nerdington

Nice bar for a first date, around the Cathedral Quarter
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a nice bar for a first date around the Cathedral Quarter for a Friday or Saturday evening? She has mentioned liking Duke of York and John Hewitt but the Cathedral Quarter bars wouldn't be part of my regular haunts. We are both in our mid-twenties and trendy but not on a hipster level. Looking a place that we can have some drinks and able to have a nice chat. She likes wine and I like a nice beer or Guinness.
Thanks 

Bigali

Re: Nice bar for a first date, around the Cathedral Quarter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »
The Duke of York isa good lively bar and does great Guinness, also the Spaniard in Skipper Street, or if you really want to impress her take to the cocktail bar at The Merchant Hotel  ;)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Nerdington

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 02:09:35 PM »
Hi thanks for the reply, I haven't been to any but having a peep online they look great. Do you know how easy it is to get a seat at the Duke of York/Spaniard on a Friday or Saturday? Would I have to be there by a certain time? Also is it quite easy to have a chat without shouting at each other? Thanks again.

Bigali

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
The Duke of York will be heaving with people on a weekend night but they do have an "overspill" premises across the street which is a bit quieter, the Spaniard is tiny so twelve people and its packed to the doors,they do have an upstairs room but I've only ever been in once when it's been open upstairs. The cocktail bar at the Merchant while it will be busy at weekends will be a lot quieter and if you can't get a seat or table in the bar there are seats in the spacious foyer . Hope this helps.

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Nerdington

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »
Thanks man, yep it helps a lot. :)

Bigali

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:26:12 PM »
Muriel's Cafe Bar in Church Lane is another nice quirky wee bar spread over two floors and they have a great range of speciality gins and serve some of their drinks in old jam jars etc  :drinks:

Nerdington

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
I had a wee look, it looks fun! Is the place usually packed on a Friday/Saturday night?

Bigali

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »
It will certainly be busy but if there are no tables available when you go in you normally don't have to wait too long for one and upstairs is bigger than downstairs, does pretty decent food too.

Nerdington

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
Great, thanks for the advice  :)

ReidS

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »
Bit late to the party on this one, but The Spaniard gets my vote. The size of the place is both a blessing and a curse though. Gives it an amazing atmosphere. But getting back to your table with a couple of drinks can sometimes require acrobatics.

Bigali

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
Bit late to the party on this one, but The Spaniard gets my vote. The size of the place is both a blessing and a curse though. Gives it an amazing atmosphere. But getting back to your table with a couple of drinks can sometimes require acrobatics.

:D  That's very true !

ReidS

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »
First time I took a girl there, I ducked and weaved by with 3 drinks in my hand, very proud of myself. Until she sneezed, knocked the table and dropped all 3 drinks off the table. Devastating.