Author Topic: Lamont Carson  (Read 923 times)

Little One

Lamont Carson
« on: November 12, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »
Hi

Can anyone help with any information about my 2nd Great grandfather Lamont Carson. All i know is that he married Agnes Chambers around 1850 in Belfast. Thanks

JimG

Re: Lamont Carson
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 04:49:05 PM »
Mary Lennons website which always needs donations see www.lennonwylie.co.uk
has an entry for 1852
Carson, Lamont, glass manufacturer, High Street, 8 Antrim Place[/size]
Good luck onwards

sam barry

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:38:16 PM »
Do you know if he had also "Samuel" in his Christian name ?
There is a Samuel Carson married to Agnes Chambers, see details:
 Record Type   Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   11 Jun 1850
Groom Name   Samuel CARSON
Bride Name   Agnes  CHAMBERS
Church   Rosemary St Second Non Subscribing Presbyterian
Parish   Shankill
Civil District   Belfast
County   Antrim

JimG

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:51:01 PM »
familysearch.com has marriage as 11 Jun 1850 Shankill Parish, father John Carson[/font][/size]
I could find no trace of his death unless he had other first names.

JimG

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
I then wonder with Sams reply if the company name was Lamont Carson, I couldn't find other traces of the glass company, do you connect from their daughter who married James Ormiston Andrews, and who has a son etc

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »

Samuel Carson / Lamont Carson would appear to be one and the same.

The marriage record for Samuel Carson to Agnes Chambers  of 11 June 1850 shows her father to be John Chambers and the presiding minister was Rev. J Porter.

Compare this to the following marriage notice in the Belfast Newsletter of Friday 14th June 1850:

June 11, by the Rev. John Porter, Lamont Carson, Esq., to Agnes, daughter of the late John Chambers, Esq., of Dundalk.

Perhaps he was born Samuel Lamont Carson and perhaps "Lamont Carson" has a more impressive "ring" for the newspaper announcement...
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:00:46 PM »

The marriage record for Samuel Carson to Agnes Chambers describes husband Samuel as a "Merchant" but interestingly (for 1850) describes his father as John Carson, "Language Professor", which, together with a marriage witness name of James "Cossman" suggests an interesting story, whether it can ever be discovered?

Anyway,  the Belfast News Letter of Christmas Day 1846 carries an ad for Lamont Carson, Optician to the Belfast Opthalmic Institution, of 15 Castle Place Belfast, selling "WATCHES, CLOCKS, JEWELLRY, &c.".

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 07:16:29 PM »
And does this tie in with JimG's response (reply #4)?

Belfast Newsletter of Wednesday 18 June 1873:

ANDREWS - CARSON - June 17, at St Anne's parish church, Belfast, by the Rev. Dr. Hannay, James Ormiston, son of the late Michael Andrews, of Ardoyne, Belfast, to Jane Lamont,  eldest daughter of the late Lamont Carson, of Belfast.

JimG

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
     From 1850 proni street directories http://streetdirectories.proni.gov.uk/media
Ross, O’Connor, and Carson, flint glass manufacturers, 40 and
38 North street; glass works, Ballymacarrett
Ross, William A , of Ross, O’Connor, & Carson, glass merchants,
 22 Great Patrick street[/font]

Little One

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for the replies and the information. I've spent months trying to find information on Lamont and have not got anywhere, I was starting to think that Lamont might have been his middle name.
Yes Agnes Chambers father was John Chambers so i think that is the right marriage.
JimG Yes i connect by James and Janes son Lamont C O Andrews who is my great great grandfather.
I know alot about Agnes and her family but nothing for Lamont's family.
Many Many thanks.

Roxy75

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 02:19:16 PM »
I just posted a really long reply, went to 'preview' it and it disappeared. I spent hours on it so won't be doing it all again. Anyway, the info is a bit late now its 2020 but in case you haven't found Lamont CARSON's death, he died in Sydney, NSW, Australia at  90 Pitt St ( his residence) 14 Jan 1856 aged 33 y.
His importing business was ' Carson & Co".
His daughter Jane Lamont CARSON was born 30 Mar 1851 at Fitzwilliam St Belfast.  Witnesses to her marriage were George ANDREWS and Leah CARSON.Jane CARSON, nee CHAMBERS was in Edinburgh Scotland in 1861 with son William Seton Maitland CARSON and daughter Leah. Daughter Jane wasn't with them. Jane said she was a printer.You can find various newspaper articles here: woops..can't post link...google nla newspapers and choose advanced search, then type in his name. Its easiest to search using the box ' the Phrase' and type in Lamont CARSON. Probate, death and a birth are there along with various items Lamont imported.
Sadly, his death is not on the NSW BDM site so you can't order his death cert, but children's births are:woops again..no links allowed...google NSW BDM au...and search under births etc.  Cheers