Author Topic: mc kechnie family of ireland  (Read 1367 times)

joebhoy

mc kechnie family of ireland
« on: July 19, 2006, 05:22:52 PM »
i am trying to find out where the mc kechnie family originated from in 1850's. i have them in scotland on the 1861 census and they say they were born in ireland. i am looking for william mc kechnie c1820, his wife rachel mc fadyen c1820, they had a son james mc kechnie born 1840, i am descendant from james on my mother's side, any help would be deeply appreciated, james married in the free church of scotland 1861.

Christopher

Re: mc kechnie family of ireland
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:47:21 AM »
Hiya Joe,

You asked me, yesterday afternoon, about a compositor.
A compositor is a guy who sets type. He is also known as a typesetter.
The 1852 Directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster shows one M'Kechnie in Belfast ..
James, compositor, 10, Grace Street.
Grace Street ran from Hamilton Street to Henrietta Street in the Cromac area of the City.

By the way, there were nine newspapers in Befast in 1852. James M'Kechnie may even have typeset the 1852 Directory But he did not typeset the one I am using as it was a limited edition reprint of 500, printed in 2002. 
Let me know if you would like details of the papers printed at the time in Belfast.

Best Wishes, Chris

joebhoy

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:11:43 PM »
wonderful stuff christopher, as you already know i would be delighted to have a list of 1852 newspapers, as might anyone else interested in old belfast.

joebhoy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 05:13:22 PM »
if it is any help for anyone trying to offer some assistance to this thread, i have just found an isabella mc fadyen born in belfast 1865, daughter of michael mc fadyen and jane wilkinson, so this michael may be a brother of rachel born around the 1820's, isabella proves to be a popular name in the mckechnie family