Author Topic: Purchasing Headstones  (Read 7573 times)

Christopher

Re: Purchasing Headstones
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 03:07:48 AM »
I am not exactly sure you can just buy a gravestone & put it on a grave. I expect you would need to be the owner of the grave, grave deeds are given when you buy a grave in a cemetary and there is a time limit of about 100 years on ownership. In Churchyard graveyards it might be different.

You would need to at least get agreement from the authorities before laying out any money. The cost of even the most basic stone is going to be £1000 and they go a lot higher than that.

You could maybe buy one of the wee flower bowls & get it inscribed & just pop it on the grave yourself. They would cost under £100.

I think Hamiltons and others get their gravestones from Pakistan or India.

I have a wee advert out of the Tele. It says 'Headstones Direct From Wholesalers'

Black Granite 2' 6'' High £399. This includes all vat and fixing in cemetery and includes 50 Gold Letters.

It gives a phone number  Tel 07882 086084

Can we get below £399 ??? See that most basic stone at £1000 or higher ... would tbat be a lot larger than 2' 6" in height... what breadth would it be  and how many gold letters are available? See that 2' 6" one what breadth would it be? It's extremely difficult to know what you're going to get unless you do your best to compare like with like. The Quakers have the right idea ... standardised headstones.

RabRow

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 03:11:14 PM »
I agree about the Quakers [everyone's equal in death]. Their graveyard is still there in Balmoral Ave. As you say all headstones the same height.

This is the cutting from the Tele. As you can see it doesn't mention width.

2' 6''is not very high,but if its only some sort of permanent marker that you want,it would do the job.

Another place does a marker its only about 8 to 12 inches high. Like a book sittin tilted,with a name plate engraved on it.  They are between £40 and £60

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 03:39:04 PM »
Hi RabRow,

That person will get a bit of a surprise if people phone with orders and mention they saw the ad on the internet.
I'd guess they don't have a website 8)

Christopher

orangelil

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 12:46:41 AM »
My granda was buried in someone else's gave in city cemetary. my dad bought a small headstone and I think it cost under £100 - it looks lovely.  My dad didn't get on with his dad, didn't know where he was buried and didn't care.  I started doing my family tree and we got a bit more info about his life.  My dad then went out and bought a headstone for his dad.  I thought it was really touching - really made me see why I was doing my tree.  It can bring father's and sons closer together even after death. K
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

Sunnyhill

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »

Aaah what a lovely story!

I ended up getting a marker made and installed by Kirkwoods [see below]. They were very good to deal with. It cost £600 all together - the marker was 18x30 inches and lies flat on the ground.
I have two other ancestor's graves that I would like to put markers on in Cork and Dublin. Kirkwoods gave me details of someone to try down there but they weren't too cooperative so I didn't bother with them.

Thank you everyone.
Sunnyhill

Kirkwoods Monumental Sculptors,
731 Upper Newtownards Rd.
Belfast, County Antrim BT4  3NU
Kirkwoodsms.co.uk
E-mail: [email protected]

My granda was buried in someone else's gave in city cemetary. my dad bought a small headstone and I think it cost under £100 - it looks lovely.  My dad didn't get on with his dad, didn't know where he was buried and didn't care.  I started doing my family tree and we got a bit more info about his life.  My dad then went out and bought a headstone for his dad.  I thought it was really touching - really made me see why I was doing my tree.  It can bring father's and sons closer together even after death. K
CASSELLS [ANNALOISTE, LURGAN, DUNMURRY, BELFAST]
HAYES [KILLINCHY, DOWN, BELFAST]
CAMPBELL  
SAULTERS

killultagh

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
Iím in the same boat with my Great x 3 Grandparents unmarked grave.

I think I may just buy something like a grave marker off eBay.

wb54

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »
Hi killultagh,
                      just saw your message, I know this a old thread.
                      check if you are allowed to place anything first
                      things can be move or knocked over when they
                      cut the grass.

where are the cemeteryís of your family?
                        best of luck,      Billy.