Author Topic: daddy winkers lane anyone remember it in the 60s  (Read 7466 times)

eman resu

daddy winkers lane anyone remember it in the 60s
« on: December 04, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »
does anyone other than me remember daddy winkers lane; or is it as my friends tell me,a figment of my imagination.

rayk

Re: daddy [censored] lane anyone remember it in the 60s
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »
You didn't imagine it . It was a lane at Ladas Drive/Cregagh Road

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »
Is this Daddy W-i-n-k-e-r-s Lane? as in this reference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cregagh

Just off the Cregagh Road are two locally well-known sporting venues, Cregagh Cricket Club and Malone Rugby Club. While having separate facilities, they are situated on the same road, namely Gibson Park Avenue (also known locally as 'Daddy W-i-n-k-e-r-s Lane').

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

eman resu

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
thank you for that ,my friend said that the place in question was gibson park and the rest my imagination.both rayk and cmcg have confirmed the local name,thanks both.

Ann8

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
I certainly do remember it well! I remember going there as a child and feeling like I was in the middle of the countryside! My mother used to warn me to stay away as there was Bad Men there!!

eman resu

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
 :( :( :-\ There are bad vibes everywhere if you go looking for them, but I dont think the lane was a bad place;twas a great place when the carnival was there,that wee quiet lane became a riot of noise coloured light and energy.That was in the 60s an it seems like yesterday..in my minds eye I can see the lights,hear the laughter,and smell that"oily electric" smell that only ever happened when the dodgems where running..Dya remember it"clack clack,whirr,spark spark and that old oily electric smell mixed with a faint trace of salt and vinegar and bottled Guinness.I wish I was goin there tnight .

vision tech

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »
if i remember right there was a magistrates court held there , it was in a club house on the left, this was in the 70,s
am i right

Jamesbelfast

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
I remember Malone playing field was surrounded by a cinder track - I can remember motorcycle speedway racing around it and also the annual visiting carnival.

The land was originally owned by the Curch of Ireland and was donated to the cricket and ruggy clubs but the lease stated alcoholic liquor was not to be sold or consumed on the premises - hence both clubs where some of the last sports clubs to gain a license to open a bar.  Also the leases stated the laneway was not to become a public through-road for vehicles and remains barried to this day.
Both my older brother and myself played for Malone RFC who at one time fielded 20 teams per weak.  The name Malone comes from when the club first started on the Malone Road - probabaly at least 100 years ago.

As a child I spent many hours playing in the Winkie as we called it - catching spricks in the Loop river.

Jamesbelfast

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 04:28:06 PM »
I remember Malone playing field was surrounded by a cinder track - I can remember motorcycle speedway racing around it and also the annual visiting carnival.

The land was originally owned by the Curch of Ireland and was donated to the cricket and ruggy clubs but the lease stated alcoholic liquor was not to be sold or consumed on the premises - hence both clubs where some of the last sports clubs to gain a license to open a bar.  Also the leases stated the laneway was not to become a public through-road for vehicles and remains barried to this day.
Both my older brother and myself played for Malone RFC who at one time fielded 20 teams per weak.  The name Malone comes from when the club first started on the Malone Road - probabaly at least 100 years ago.

As a child I spent many hours playing in the Winkie as we called it - catching spricks in the Loop river.

Edit:  Apparently the name daddy Winkers derives from a local farmer in area named Wilson.  Wilson had very bushy eyebrows - hence the name Winkers - see link below for further information.

http://books.dreambook.com/ebhs1/ebhs.html

eman resu

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
 :-\ We called the Willowfield "picture house the winkie"but I dont know why,do you, or does any one , ::) ::) Maybe Im daft and its obvious, ..Willowfield/winkie....?

eman resu

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
Dunno what happened there but my post disappeared...we called the willowfield flicks,The Winkie,I never knew why.do you?It  just never seemed to fit, Did anyone else think that? 

Ann8

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 11:49:43 PM »
Wow.  I used to love when the carnival came to Daddy winkers lane! One summer I developed a big crush on one of the boys who worked there. I am sure he never noticed me as I was so shy and tended to hid behind my friends.

miyagi

Re: daddy winkers lane anyone remember it in the 60s
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »
Daddywinkers lane is still there

Zulu95

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 02:15:37 PM »
If my old memory serves the Ladas Drive end is called Ladas Way.  It was known as a courting spot back in the "good ole days"!

dogtired

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »
There way a playground there we used to all the time.