Author Topic: daddy winkers lane anyone remember it in the 60s  (Read 7908 times)

Jamesbelfast

Re: daddy winkers lane anyone remember it in the 60s
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 06:55:06 PM »
There was a playground there we used to all the time.

Sadly gone to make way for public housing which the foolish planners gave them permission to build on what is a well known flood plain.

jocoellison

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 08:47:27 PM »
Sure do remember Daddy Winkers Lane, the playground, Malone, I lived in Orangefield Cresent and went to Harding Memorial PS, walked it every day, if my memory serves me right I think we had to wear wellington boots some days. May have the origins of the name, I found an 1901 map of the area on the Ordinance Survey site, the lane appears to be the enterance/driveway to a house called Glenbanna which would appear to have been sighted somewhere about Montgomery Rd, I vaguely remember a cottage (bricked up) at the Cregagh Rd end of the lane, I'm talking early 60's. This might have been the gate lodge?. Anyway the 1901 street directory states that a mister Robert Wilson 60 years old lived there, he was a cattle dealer. Wilson, Winker. Just my theory!

M1

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 09:59:33 PM »
I heard on a radio programme a few years ago that 'Daddy Winker' referred to an owl who resided in a tree there. If I remember rightly this dates back to the 17th century. I, like jocoellison, lived in Orangefield Crescent, and remember as a child being slightly frightened by the noise of the stepdown transformer as we walked through on the way to the Ambassador cinema (now Wyse Byse).

Andi

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 07:26:39 PM »
Hi all

My mum used to talk of daddy winker's lane...I had forgotten about it till I read this post. She lived in Ballymacarrett.  :(

I like the idea that Daddy Winker was an owl in 17th century.

welder

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »

Image result for Daddy Winkers Lane Belfast
If the fates decree you're going to lose give them a damn good fight...

deke

Re: daddy [censored] lane anyone remember it in the 60s
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »
:( :( :-\ There are bad vibes everywhere if you go looking for them, but I dont think the lane was a bad place;twas a great place when the carnival was there,that wee quiet lane became a riot of noise coloured light and energy.That was in the 60s an it seems like yesterday..in my minds eye I can see the lights,hear the laughter,and smell that"oily electric" smell that only ever happened when the dodgems where running..Dya remember it"clack clack,whirr,spark spark and that old oily electric smell mixed with a faint trace of salt and vinegar and bottled Guinness.I wish I was goin there tnight .

What a great description, I remember the carnival well with a touch of frost in the air.     Would be around Christmas 64, 65 maybe, like you wish I was going there tonight.
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

bjay

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »
The Malone rugby guys referred to it as Diddy W*nkers Lane.....such uncouth boys those rugby players.  :P :P :P