Author Topic: St. Paul's Secondary School 1970s  (Read 3268 times)

clonmellon12

St. Paul's Secondary School 1970s
« on: December 13, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
Anybody remember any of the teachers there from 73-78?

GandT

Re: St. Paul's Secondary School 1970s
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:45:48 PM »
Eamonn Kavanagh; Dickie Denver; Desie Bannon; Gerry Kelly; Eddie McArdle; Gerry Crudden. Unsure of the dates but these may be some of the teachers.

clonmellon12

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »
Yip first three dead!

Budore

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:06:40 AM »

I didn't go there and I don't know any of the teachers but . . .

. . my mother worked in the canteen at St Pauls

. . my wife's brother was a student there

B

Besty

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:26 PM »
Mary o gara, phil smith, Susan Kelly, cairan austin were teachers at the school.

clonmellon12

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
there was a guy called Anthony????? as well???

Besty

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
can't remember now but will come to me later,good to see this forum. i was sent a picture of the school hurling team possibly 1973/4

GandT

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »
there was a guy called Anthony????? as well???

There was - that being his surname. Can't remember his Christian name.

clonmellon12

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »
yip!  First name Paul.....taught Geography and Religion

GandT

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
yip!  First name Paul.....taught Geography and Religion

I remember a significant number of boys transferring from St Thomas's when the school first opened. Boys who were doing very well at St Tom's but am unsure how well they prospered after that move. Also recall that none of the best and most senior teachers from St Tom's got any of the leading jobs in St Paul's. Ridiculous - some of those guys would really have given a major lift to the place from the word go.

ferron

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »
Coming very, very late to this conversation. I was there from 1972-77. The strange thing is, there's barely any record of the school online. This is the first I've come across . I remember staff such as Mr Toal (Eng) Mr McQuillan (French) Mr Smith (Maths) Mr McIlwee (imfamously mad history teacher with a deft use of a superball to take out anyone not behaving), Mr McDonald/Donell ( Art) who made a difference to me and give me a huge leg up that paid off years later, Mr McGrath (very bad tempered metalwork teacher), Mr Crawford (Wordwork) And of course teh feared Mr Kavanagh - who turned out to be very unfrightening when he took RE or whipped out the strap, which it turned out didn't hurt half as much as everyone else's.
I think our class was WD2 - if my memory isn't playing tricks..
We came from St John's Primary and mover to St Paul's Primary on Mica Drive and I think we were the first or second batch to move into teh new St Paul's SS/ We even had to wear white gutties indoors to avoud leaving black marks on the floors - of course they meant  changing shoes in the huge cloak room are on the ground floor and the development of shoe fights leaving the hated marks on the ceiling instead.
Classmates: 'Tank' Kelly, 'Bulldo' McGrady,Kevin O'Brien, Tony Lappin, 'Sticky' Clarke....
Don't expect anyone to see this now as the posts are so old..

Attracta

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 09:48:58 AM »
Hi - I am trying to trace a guy who I think went to St Paul's 1970 -1977.  His name is David McElroy.  Your school had an exchange programme - Youth Encounter with our girls' school in Armagh - Convent of the Sacred Heart about 1975/76.  Some lads came over to Armagh for a visit and I ended up going out with Davy for a maybe a year.  Such a nice guy, sorry we lost contact.  He lived in Iris Drive with grandparents, his parents were divorced and lived in England.  Anyone know him and anyone know where he might be now?  I would love to catch up with good old pals.  Thanks.  Great days the 70s - in spite of the Troubles!

DeckerZ

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 04:14:28 PM »
Hi Guys, very late to the party. I was looking for a good colour photo of the school badge to get it reproduced. I have a FaceBook up and there is a photo there, but if anyone reading this still has the badge or a good clear photo could you please post it here and I will progress it further.