Author Topic: Pawn Shop on Grosvenor Road  (Read 7628 times)

mavourneen

Pawn Shop on Grosvenor Road
« on: December 19, 2013, 08:55:24 PM »
Does anyone remember the name of the Pawn Shop on the Grosvenor Road in the 1960's? I have been trying to search for the name but had no luck

Mitcher

Re: Pawn Shop on Grosvenor Road
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:18:45 AM »
Does anyone remember the name of the Pawn Shop on the Grosvenor Road in the 1960's? I have been trying to search for the name but had no luck
Was it called Well's at the corner of I think Arundel Street?

mavourneen

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
Yes it was Wells as soon as i read it i remembered the name Thanks note sure i remember the corner it was on but i bet your right.
Many thanks

Mitcher

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »
I think Malt Street was the next street down

mavourneen

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
Just had a word with my sister she agreed this was the right Pawn Shop it was on the same side of the road as the Hospital further up the road.
I remember Malt Street used to visit an old Aunt of my friends with her every other Sunday.
Thanks xx

jemmy hope

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »
Little Grosvenor St. was the next street to Arundel. Malt St was one down.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »
There was another pawnbrokers on the corner of Grosvenor Road and Leeson Street, if my memory serves me well. I used to like looking in the window at the jewellery. It had the usual sign of three large brass balls. Don't recall why that sign denoted that trade, saw a programme recently about modern day pawnbrokers and it told you the meaning but I can't remember. Anybody know? Dommo is usually good with explanations. Lilian

mavourneen

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
I remember that one but Ma liked Wells, i think it was because he was so good to my Granny, she always pawned a box we all thought it was a nice shawl, when she died Ma redeemed it when she opened it she was shocked to find wrapped in paper was an old bone!

The pawn broker knew what was in the box he trusted Granny because she always came back to redeem her pledge every two weeks.

Sadly you could not do that anymore, its not the same level of trust.

boxer1949

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »

boxer1949

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »

boxer1949

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »

gismo

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 12:35:59 AM »
pawn shops  always smelt of moth balls there was always two ways into a pawnshop one was at the front of the shop the other was on the side the front one was for people buying the side was for people leaving stuff so the could sneak in.the thee balls mean two to one u don't get it meaning the thing u have pledged their windows were always full of boots shoes ice skates tennis rackets and old ww2 gas masks gismo

gismo

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 12:42:17 AM »
btw the Grosvenor rd was a great place before the redevelopment plenty of shops up and down the road short cut to the Donegal rd via roden st now the powers that be have made a right mess of the whole area espically the rotten west link gismo

mavourneen

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 11:57:21 AM »
Hi Boxer thanks for the photos they bring back such memories, i remember running to the Pawn Shop on a Monday morning with my Da's suit and we would redeem it on the Friday night, Ma would get one of us kids to sneak out while da was having his tea to fetch his suit ready for him to go out that evening. He must have known she Pawned it, it was shiny from wear and with her ironing it with brown paper. Hard times but somehow more honest than life today.

joe.c

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 04:06:45 AM »
Joe Thompson's Pawnbrokers (complete with the three balls) was at the corner of Cullingtree Road and Grosvenor Road, next door to a butchers shop (Quees?)

Joe claimed temporary possession. on weekdays, of most of the artifacts and decent clothing in the neighborhood as well as making orange sashes by hand. I used to watch him making them whilst waiting to redeem my Dad's suit on a Friday afternoon. He was quite a nice man. You could buy nearly anything there.