Author Topic: Pawn Shop on Grosvenor Road  (Read 7629 times)

McKeown_87

Re: Pawn Shop on Grosvenor Road
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 02:58:46 PM »
Does anyone remember the people who worked in it? My dad worked in here years ago unfortunately he's passed so I'm not sure of the year. Any information would be great if anyone remembers his name was Hugh?

Timmo

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 11:03:12 PM »
I loved the smell in Joe Thompson's pawn and had many trips to it. Happy hard innocent days.
Before you laugh at someone else, have a look in the mirror.

petersmith

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
Someone recommend me Mays pawnbrokers and jewellers near manchester, does anyone has experience with them ? ? ?

misssmyth1

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 05:43:35 PM »
I remember Joe thompsons he had a high counter .. Once I had to take a watch there as we needed the money I couldn't reach the counter and a man lifted me up.. I said my mummy wants 10 bob and he gave me 8 bob .. and the ticket... I ran home clutching both and mummy wasn't too pleased with the transaction .. I felt embarrased  at the time  about going there but I am sure many people wouldn't have survived without using the pawn shops.. We redeemed the watch but probably pawned it another day!?

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 07:47:39 PM »
I remember Joe thompsons he had a high counter .. Once I had to take a watch there as we needed the money I couldn't reach the counter and a man lifted me up.. I said my mummy wants 10 bob and he gave me 8 bob .. and the ticket... I ran home clutching both and mummy wasn't too pleased with the transaction .. I felt embarrased  at the time  about going there but I am sure many people wouldn't have survived without using the pawn shops.. We redeemed the watch but probably pawned it another day!?
Being just another shopkeeper my mum used to go in for a chat in passing as a relative lived in the Cullingtree Rd. I used to love looking at the jewellery in the window and one birthday my mum surprised me with a gold bangle that I had for many years. I lost it one night at a dance hall either in Dunstable or Luton. I was about between 9 or 10 I think and was in my 30's when I lost it.

Marieb

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 10:12:57 PM »
I don't remember one at Grosvener road but  l do know there was as one at
the bottom of the Sprifield road.Wee Hughie`
Perhaps this the one u remember?  I lived near the Springfield road 1940/1960'  My family was Toner+Mc Keown.  Not so happy days. I had to leave to get work. Gas it got any better do u think?  Regards. Marie B.

Zzz f2f in.

Astor

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 10:20:38 PM »
I don't remember one at Grosvener road but  l do know there was as one at
the bottom of the Sprifield road.Wee Hughie`
Perhaps this the one u
remember?  I lived near the Springfield road 1940/1960'  My family was Toner+Mc Keown.  Not so happy days. I had to leave
 to get work. Gas it got any better
do u think?  Regards. Marie B.
Zzz f2f in.
[/quote

I remember the pawn shop on Springfield Road too. I think it was nearly opposite the police station if my memory serves me
well. Do you remember
McKennas shop on the corner of Falls/Springfield Rd.?
Que Sera Sera

Marieb

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 11:12:10 PM »
Yes I remember McKenna and MvPeakes too.
And Laverys chemist
 Shop

With Mr Leo Martin in charge. Lovely man. Well remembered all of this

Regards from
 MarieB

Astor

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »
Yes I remember McKenna and MvPeakes too.
And Laverys chemist
 Shop

With Mr Leo Martin in charge.
 Lovely man. Well remembered all of this

Regards from
 MarieB

Yes remember all that too Marie, what about the wee house in Violet st where the lady sold clothes mostly underwear and socks and you she had to rummage through two rooms of her house to find things as they were all over the furniture and even on the floor lol!
Que Sera Sera

Stephanie wade

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2020, 05:30:45 PM »
Hi there,Im  Not sure if this will reach you... my mum Karolee is Brendan Lowes daughter...Brendan (my poppa) moves to Australia in the 50s  and I believe is your uncle-making  my mum your cousin :-)  Davy Lowe is my Mums uncle...we are here in Belfast for five days and just came across this , we would love to hear from you if you do get this. My phone number is 07477 863461  (Its a UK number as I live in London ).