Author Topic: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI  (Read 42396 times)

belfast proud

IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI
« on: December 20, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
Irish league football in the 50s and 60s hold fond memories for me,more the 50s,remember the great Linfield seven trophy side,Glentoran team that went to the USA,as the Detroit Cougars,the Distillery
team that held Benfica 3 each at a waterlogged Windsor Park.I remember Jimmy Jones scoring a belter for Glenavon against Gordon Banks in goal for Leicester City also at Windsor in the ECWC,the
belfast Glens holding their own at the Oval.

belfast proud

Re: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
   SORRY,THAT SHOULD HAVE READ 'MORE THE 60S' :)

sonofshanks

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »
Also Tommy Leishman taking the Blues to the quarter final of the European Cup in 66/67 the year Celtic won it. A truly fantastic achievement for part-time Professional footballers. The 60s, great times for Irish League Football.  :)
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

road hog

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:46:36 AM »
They were some teams alright, lads, what went wrong? the troubles do you think ?. Theres not the same talent here now.
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

Brown low

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:11:38 PM »
Also Tommy Leishman taking the Blues to the quarter final of the European Cup in 66/67 the year Celtic won it. A truly fantastic achievement for part-time Professional footballers. The 60s, great times for Irish League Football.  :)

Tommy Moffett the goalie stuck in the mud and the ball went into the net. Not long after he joined the Head Line as an engineer but do not know if he stuck it if you forgive the pun.

sonofshanks

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 01:16:46 PM »

Tommy Moffett the goalie stuck in the mud and the ball went into the net. Not long after he joined the Head Line as an engineer but do not know if he stuck it if you forgive the pun.

Remember that match against CSKA well. Yes, big Tommy got stuck in the mud that night.  :(
Anyhow, it was a magnificent achievement for part timers, never equalled.  ;)

sonofshanks

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 01:25:19 PM »
They were some teams alright, lads, what went wrong? the troubles do you think ?. Theres not the same talent here now.

Certainly the Troubles played its part, with crowds dwindling. Also the Whites having to vacate their ground and Derry City pulling out, didn't help.  :(

bothy

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »
I remember watching the "blues" play in manys a final at the whites ground, Grosvenor Park, the only ground with floodlights at that time. They were fondly known as candlelight. In those days English referees were brought across to officiate and one of the more eccentric was a guy called Maurice Fussey. Big mop of blond hair and big moustache. He was great fun and always got a great reception from the crowd. Packed houses in those days too.

GandT

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »
Packed houses in those days too.

Remember some of them at the Oval [Jackie Milburn and Jimmy Jones then with Glenavon] and the old Grosvenor ground. Also watched some years back a video I think called 'Weavers to Winners' or something like that - a history of Linfield - totally amazed at size of crowds in very old and short footage showing Blues vs Belfast Celtic and crowd at Grosvenor. 

bjay

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 07:33:11 PM »
In those days at least one player a season was transferred to English or Scottish clubs - Tommy Jackson. Eric Ross, Billy Sinclair, Johnny Johnston, Terry Conroy, Billy Hamilton, Bryan Hamilton,
Victor Moreland, Billy Caskey,Arthur Stewart, Roy Coyle, Tommy Cassidy  etc……………..….. nowadays not a chance.

Bruce Wayne

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 12:18:04 AM »
Tommy Leishman is my favorite player of all time. He has a great football pedigree having played under Bill Shankley at Liverpool and Jock Stein at Hibs. He won the league with Linfield in 65/66 which was our first league triumph since the 7 trophies in 61/62. He was recommended to Linfield by the late, great, John Parke. I maintain regular contact with Tommy and he sends me a Christmas card every year! 8)

He's an ordinary man who is extraordinary!

FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE

sonofshanks

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 12:28:18 AM »
I remember watching the "blues" play in manys a final at the whites ground, Grosvenor Park, the only ground with floodlights at that time. They were fondly known as candlelight. In those days English referees were brought across to officiate and one of the more eccentric was a guy called Maurice Fussey. Big mop of blond hair and big moustache. He was great fun and always got a great reception from the crowd. Packed houses in those days too.

I remember that referee very well, when he sprinted, his knees almost touched his chin. When he did this, which was fairly often during a match, the crowd would give a roar.  :)  I remember the 'flood lights' at the Whites ground being referred to as the 'candle sticks'. Don't honestly think they were anything more than, training lights.

bjay

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »
Was at the Linfield match, a game they might have won.  Wasn't that the season the English Champions were hammered by an unknown Dutch team??? :P

syriana

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »
My Dad used to take me to all of the Glentoran games.  The most memorable was an Irish Cup replay at Windsor Park against Derry.  I think it was 1954 - the Glens would have won if it hadn't been for a fantastic Derry goalkeeper named Charlie Heffron. They carried him off shoulder high, a great match. 
No answer is an answer.

breenbox

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
Does anyone remember the Distillery goalkeeper from the 1960's called Mike Pinner ?? Think he was an englishman and possibly played for Man Utd at some stage.
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.