Author Topic: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI  (Read 42346 times)

bjay

Re: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
I recall Mike Pinner……he was English and I think he was an amateur international. [size=78%]If my memory serves me well he was in the forces, RAF possibly[/size]

Bruce Wayne

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
Does anyone remember the Distillery goalkeeper from the 1960's called Mike Pinner ?? Think he was an englishman and possibly played for Man Utd at some stage.

Mike Pinner was a relatively small (for a) goalkeeper who played for the Whites in the mid-60s. He was a former English amateur international goalkeeper who was once on Man. Utd's books. He was very agile and made some excellent saves. I can only remember seeing him play for the Whites against the Blues at Grosvenor Park but have no recollection of him playing at Windsor. He was in the top ten keepers I remember from the 60s.
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE

vinnym

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 08:20:57 PM »
Mike Pinner was an amateur player and if I am not mistaken I think he also played for Chelsea, a great keeper

bjay

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »
He played for Chelsea, Man U, Villa and Distillery…..who could wish for more  :) .

Sachs

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 12:35:25 PM »
SOS
I remember Maurice Fussey as well.

One game I was at he sprinted towards a player to have a word with him.
As you said the crowd cheered and I remember an old man beside me saying
"That Fussey's an ejit".

The top Irish League teams' standard in those days was at times compared
to the old English 2nd or 3rd. Maybe an exaggeration but certainly much higher
than today's.

hathaway

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
Sammy Pavis was a great player for Linfield during the 60s. Always came up with the goals when things needed sorted out. Sammy " Save Us " was one of the great players in the Irish League.

Sachs

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 11:48:09 PM »
Sammy Pavis was a great player for Linfield during the 60s. Always came up with the goals when things needed sorted out. Sammy " Save Us " was one of the great players in the Irish League.

He was a great poacher. I saw him pop many a goal from nowhere. The Blues won games that they probably deserved to lose only due to Sammy.
His nickname Sammy Savus was well thought out.

I think he may have went over to England if he had shown any interest. Apparently he wasn't the most dedicated of players,

clonmellon12

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
was the ref not called Maurice HUSSEY? He was a fussy so and so tho - very threatrical!! And BTW I think I was the only guy in Andytown to support Ards! Travelled as a ten year old boy to watch them every second Saturday!!

bothy

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
Just checked Maurice Fussey on google. Listed as FIFA referee from 1960-1972 so the name looks ok and the dates fit.   :)

sonofshanks

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 08:51:17 PM »
Just checked Maurice Fussey on google. Listed as FIFA referee from 1960-1972 so the name looks ok and the dates fit.   :)

Maurice Fussey it was. Fussey by name and fussey by nature. Lol  ;)  One of the most pernickety refs ever.   :o
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

bothy

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 02:26:16 PM »
I remember waaaay back in 1974 going to Ards to watch them play PSV in the Cup Winners Cup. They had lost 10 nil in the first leg but PSV were an exceptional side then so still a big crowd for the return. When the two teams came out you could see it was men against boys. Ards in their old baggy umbro kit and PSV in their tight fitting Adidas kit. Result was 4-1 to PSV but even though they were well beaten I doubt if any other Irish league team could have lived with PSV. It was great to be so close to such professional players in the compact ground and just watch how they knocked the ball around. In those days it was always said that Ards had the best playing surface in the league if not the best ground.

belfast proud

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 02:34:03 PM »
I THOUGHT MIKE PINNER CAME TO THE WHITES FROM HENDON IN THE ENGLISH AMATEUR LEAGUE.
OTHER KEEPERS COME TO MIND BOBBY IRVINE,IAM MCFAUL BOTH LINFIELD,SAM KYDD ARDS,JACK
KENNEDY DISTILLERY TO CELTIC AND THEN LINCOLN CITY,ALBERT FINLAY GLENTORAN,HE LOST 9
GOALS TO AN ENGLISH LEAGUE TEAM PLAYED IN PLYMOUTH.VIC HUNTER COLERAINE.SOME FORWARDS
TONYN CURLEY{PLAYED FOR DISTILLERY,COLERAINE & GLENTORAN}IN IRISH CUP FINALS,THE BLUES
HAD TOMMY DICKSON,PHIL SCOTT,HUBERT BARR,BILLY FERGUSON TO NAME BUT A FEW.TIME TO
GO INTO TOWN FOR A FEW THINGS.

sonofshanks

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
I remember waaaay back in 1974 going to Ards to watch them play PSV in the Cup Winners Cup. They had lost 10 nil in the first leg but PSV were an exceptional side then so still a big crowd for the return. When the two teams came out you could see it was men against boys. Ards in their old baggy umbro kit and PSV in their tight fitting Adidas kit. Result was 4-1 to PSV but even though they were well beaten I doubt if any other Irish league team could have lived with PSV. It was great to be so close to such professional players in the compact ground and just watch how they knocked the ball around. In those days it was always said that Ards had the best playing surface in the league if not the best ground.

According to those who played at Castlereagh Park, it was the best playing surface in N. Ireland, pity it's a Tesco's now.   
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

notguilty

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »
there was a good centre forward called Fay Coyle.
- always seemed to score winners against the team I supported. lol

sj

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »
 One of the finest players to play in the Irish league was George Eastham ( Eastwood ).  He played for Ards however his father was a soccer coach and before long he went to England where he lead the players strike for minimum wages along with Jimmy Hill. :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...