Author Topic: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI  (Read 39378 times)

sj

Re: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »
Stewart campbell was my dad so it's nice reading all these posts :)

Hello Chatter,

I remember talking to your Dad....I was 9 & he was 20+ on Hallidays Rd and as he was talking Mickey Mc Williams came out of my school and they exchanged pleasantries and a nod. He was a classy player. He was on Hallidays Rd as a friend of mine was related to him....Ken Lavery?  Mickey Mc Williams was Capt of Linfield and Capt of Irish Amateur Team.  It was a great moment for me as a bloke ( he was 11 ) couldn't understand how Mickey Mc Williams could be Capt of Linfield and be a teacher in a Catholic school but Stewartie could and just smiled.  They were comrades and both were nice people. :D
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

JIMBOW1

« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2018, 06:58:33 AM »

Tommy Moffatt in the Ards goal is nowhere near it!

JIMBOW1

« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2018, 07:05:44 AM »
Here are the teams for the ICF in 1957

Glenavon: Rea, Armstrong, Lyske, Corr, Davis, Cush, Wilson, McVeigh, Jones, Campbell, Elwood.

Derry City: Heffron, Kinnen, Houston, Brolly, Travers, Smyth, Wright, Crossan, Campbell, Coyle, Nash.

Played at Windsor Park, Glenavon won 2 - 0
Scorers : Houston (og) , Jones.
Attendance: 23,000

Jackie Denver had just retired a few months earlier, hence 'TwinkleToes' McVeigh at inside-right, normally he'd have been the left winger but Joe Elwood (soon to go to Leyton Orient) was certainly a fitting replacement. The Lurgan Blues had 4 NI internationals in that line-up, Roy Rea, Billy Cush, Sammy Wilson and Big Jimmy.   

jjmack

« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »
Great teams and great players in the Irish League in the 40's, 50's & 1960's. some great International matches at Windsor Park in that era also. Saw some of the greats.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Sachs

« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »
Great teams and great players in the Irish League in the 40's, 50's & 1960's. some great International matches at Windsor Park in that era also. Saw some of the greats.  :)

There were some great International games at Windsor although I never started going to them until the mid sixties onward.
What I remember, [size=78%]and it is borne out by the old photos, are the ground sizes.[/size]
[size=78%]Where did everybody go? They all couldn’t have went to Canada and Australia.😀[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]

sj

« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »
I know that this thread is about the Irish League but have just watched a little of the N.Ireland v Korea game on pay T.V.   Was it North Korea or South Korea.  The pitch was in great condition, the sun was shining and Noth Ireland seemed to be playing well. :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Spudz

« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »

Does anyone remember the Distillery goalkeeper from the 1960's called Mike Pinner ?? Think he was an englishman and possibly played for Man Utd at some stage.

I remember Mike Pinner, the black cat because he wore black shirt and shorts. Maybe that was the colours of Distillery or did all keepers wear black?

I also remember that at half time opposing fans would change ends to be behind their own keeper.
The 2 sets of fans would walk clockwise at the same time to avoid a confrontation.

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
Spuds mike pinned was a keeper with lots of experience in english football he played for aston villa,Sheffield Wednesday,queens park rangers, man utd,chelsea,Swansea and leytonstone orient.he was an english amateur international. He came out of retirement to play for the whites. His debut was September 11 th 1965.he played59 games for the whites and was known as the man in black.sorry that should be mike pinner.

LONE RANGER

« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »
Spuds mike pinned was a keeper with lots of experience in english football he played for aston villa,Sheffield Wednesday,queens park rangers, man utd,chelsea,Swansea and leytonstone orient.he was an english amateur international. He came out of retirement to play for the whites. His debut was September 11 th 1965.he played59 games for the whites and was known as the man in black.sorry that should be mike pinner.
        Mike Pinner held the record of having the most Amateur International Caps , now I am not sure if he still holds that record .

Rufus

« Reply #189 on: September 16, 2018, 07:47:48 PM »
I thought he played just one or two matches for Distillery.

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2018, 11:37:13 PM »
L/r mike pinner is still going aged 84 he played 52 games for england amateurs and 3 times for Great Britain at the Olympics.