Author Topic: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI  (Read 37969 times)

sj

Re: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »
Stewart campbell was my dad so it's nice reading all these posts :)

Hello Chatter,

I remember talking to your Dad....I was 9 & he was 20+ on Hallidays Rd and as he was talking Mickey Mc Williams came out of my school and they exchanged pleasantries and a nod. He was a classy player. He was on Hallidays Rd as a friend of mine was related to him....Ken Lavery?  Mickey Mc Williams was Capt of Linfield and Capt of Irish Amateur Team.  It was a great moment for me as a bloke ( he was 11 ) couldn't understand how Mickey Mc Williams could be Capt of Linfield and be a teacher in a Catholic school but Stewartie could and just smiled.  They were comrades and both were nice people. :D
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

JIMBOW1

« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2018, 06:58:33 AM »

Tommy Moffatt in the Ards goal is nowhere near it!

JIMBOW1

« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2018, 07:05:44 AM »
Here are the teams for the ICF in 1957

Glenavon: Rea, Armstrong, Lyske, Corr, Davis, Cush, Wilson, McVeigh, Jones, Campbell, Elwood.

Derry City: Heffron, Kinnen, Houston, Brolly, Travers, Smyth, Wright, Crossan, Campbell, Coyle, Nash.

Played at Windsor Park, Glenavon won 2 - 0
Scorers : Houston (og) , Jones.
Attendance: 23,000

Jackie Denver had just retired a few months earlier, hence 'TwinkleToes' McVeigh at inside-right, normally he'd have been the left winger but Joe Elwood (soon to go to Leyton Orient) was certainly a fitting replacement. The Lurgan Blues had 4 NI internationals in that line-up, Roy Rea, Billy Cush, Sammy Wilson and Big Jimmy.   

jjmack

« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »
Great teams and great players in the Irish League in the 40's, 50's & 1960's. some great International matches at Windsor Park in that era also. Saw some of the greats.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

Sachs

« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »
Great teams and great players in the Irish League in the 40's, 50's & 1960's. some great International matches at Windsor Park in that era also. Saw some of the greats.  :)

There were some great International games at Windsor although I never started going to them until the mid sixties onward.
What I remember, [size=78%]and it is borne out by the old photos, are the ground sizes.[/size]
[size=78%]Where did everybody go? They all couldn’t have went to Canada and Australia.😀[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]

sj

« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »
I know that this thread is about the Irish League but have just watched a little of the N.Ireland v Korea game on pay T.V.   Was it North Korea or South Korea.  The pitch was in great condition, the sun was shining and Noth Ireland seemed to be playing well. :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...