Author Topic: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI  (Read 42347 times)

gubby

Re: IRISH LEAGUE FOOTBALL 50S &60SI
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 12:53:11 AM »
any one remember the friedly matches between the irish refeeres at the start of theseason 45-50/s
g allen

gubby

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 12:55:13 AM »
held at the henrun [dundela s ground]
g allen

sonofshanks

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 12:57:12 AM »
there was a good centre forward called Fay Coyle.
- always seemed to score winners against the team I supported. lol

Great team Derry City in the 60s. Fay Coyle, Crossan, Dougie Wood, Ronnie Wood and the wee winger Sneddon or Snodden ?  :)
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

sonofshanks

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 01:21:14 AM »

Great team Derry City in the 60s. Fay Coyle, Crossan, Dougie Wood, Ronnie Wood and the wee winger Sneddon or Snodden ?  :)

Actually think the wee wingers name was Seddon.  :o

dopeydavy

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 05:47:17 AM »
anyone remember my father Sammy Ewing, who played for the whites, and glentoran, in the early fifties

Brown low

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »
Derry City had a future Ulster Unionist MP playing for them. Clifford Forsythe, also a Rathcoole man Bobby Brolly. Two great players. However my favourite player was Billy Chopper Wilson my teacher in Carrick Tech after he retired.

Hendy

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »
Remember watching the Blues playing Standard Liege on the 29th of September 1971, they had lost the first leg 2-0 and that night lost 2-3 due to a late penalty, Magee and Larmour scored for the Blues. I walked home from Windsor Park that night having spent my last few bob to get in and I walked past the Four Step Inn where I would have had a pint, good job I was broke as it went up in the air about 30 minutes later Killing Joker Andrews and Ernie Bates.

belfast proud

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »
ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW BOBBY IRVINE'S UNDERSTUDY IN THE 7 TROPHY SEASON,MY GUESS IS
SAMMY SERVICE.ALTHOUGH NOT A GLENSMAN I DO REMEMBER THE OVAL MEN BEATING LINFIELD
8-1 AND 5-1 IN THE SAME SEASON.

bothy

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »
My favourite memory is from 1966 ( NO NOT THAT ONE !!!) when N Ireland played England at Windsor Park and one of my favourite all time players Billy Ferguson (Linfield) whacked Alan Ball.  Yippee, what a challenge that was but sadly he got his marching orders and was cheered all the way back to the dressing room. At least he picked on someone his own size! Sadly both of these great players are no longer with us. Loved all the internationals played at Windsor, never missed one back then.

sonofshanks

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW BOBBY IRVINE'S UNDERSTUDY IN THE 7 TROPHY SEASON,MY GUESS IS
SAMMY SERVICE.ALTHOUGH NOT A GLENSMAN I DO REMEMBER THE OVAL MEN BEATING LINFIELD
8-1 AND 5-1 IN THE SAME SEASON.

Sammy Service could be correct. Think he went to Australia around 1964 and played there for some years.

sonofshanks

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
My favourite memory is from 1966 ( NO NOT THAT ONE !!!) when N Ireland played England at Windsor Park and one of my favourite all time players Billy Ferguson (Linfield) whacked Alan Ball.  Yippee, what a challenge that was but sadly he got his marching orders and was cheered all the way back to the dressing room. At least he picked on someone his own size! Sadly both of these great players are no longer with us. Loved all the internationals played at Windsor, never missed one back then.

Wee Fergie, great player, Shankill Road and Mackies man. What more could you want. Lol  ;)

bjay

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »
Was at the '66 match….it was George Best who  probably should have been sent off. George's handclap to the world cup winners at the start of the match said it all

George ran yards to kick an England player up the bum,who probably deserved it…………. Ray Wilson????

belfast proud

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »
MY LATE FATHER WAS A BELFAST CELTIC FAN AND WORKED WITH FERGIE.I'M ALMOST SURE THEY
BOTH WORKED IN THE YARD.FERGIE WAS TERRIFIED OF FLYING.

sonofshanks

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 09:29:40 PM »
MY LATE FATHER WAS A BELFAST CELTIC FAN AND WORKED WITH FERGIE.I'M ALMOST SURE THEY
BOTH WORKED IN THE YARD.FERGIE WAS TERRIFIED OF FLYING.

Fergie did work in the yard, but finished his working days operating an overhead crane in Mackies moulding foundry.
Yes, he was terrified of flying, he did actually once get on a plane but ran off it before it was loaded. Linfield had to do without his services on European away legs, but I think Tommy Leishman once drove him to Europe for a match, although I'm not totally sure about that.

Sachs

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »
There was a big centre half who played for the Blues late sixties early seventies.His name was Ivan McAllistar and he had a well deserved reputation as a hard man.

I knew a guy who played against the Blues around that time and he told me  their hardman was told to sort Big Ivan out as soon as possible .
In the first five minutes said hard man had been sorted out by Big Ivan and the Blues proceeded to kick my friends team all over Windsor Park.

Football wasn't exacetly the "beautiful game" in those days. Particularily on a wet winter night at Windsor Park.  ;)