Author Topic: Past pupils of Old Convent of Mercy Crumlin Road next to Mater Hospital  (Read 2805 times)

jamie

I  am looking for girls who were in Miss Malones class when she started in the convent and who were the first 11 plus girls from the convent.  The names that come to mind are Ann Rafferty nee Peak, Francis Murray, Pat McLarnon,Mary McCann Maureen Hennessy, Briege Forsythe.  Most of these girls were from the Ardoyne area and most went on to Fortwilliam Park, but myself, Mary McCann and Pat McLarnon went to St. Dominics.  I believe Miss Malone is still with us although I believe she would be in her 80's now she lived in Glengormley area.  Would anyone have news of any of them. Thanks Betty

chi

Re: Past pupils of Old Convent of Mercy Crumlin Road next to Mater Hospital
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:50:27 AM »
I  am looking for girls who were in Miss Malones class when she started in the convent and who were the first 11 plus girls from the convent.  The names that come to mind are Ann Rafferty nee Peak, Francis Murray, Pat McLarnon,Mary McCann Maureen Hennessy, Briege Forsythe.  Most of these girls were from the Ardoyne area and most went on to Fortwilliam Park, but myself, Mary McCann and Pat McLarnon went to St. Dominics.  I believe Miss Malone is still with us although I believe she would be in her 80's now she lived in Glengormley area.  Would anyone have news of any of them. Thanks Betty

If you post on the Ardoyne thread
you might find some folks over there
know the folks you mentioned :read: O0
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 04:31:49 AM »
Jamie,
There is a fairly long thread on the Old Convent of Mercy.  If you put Convent of Mercy Crumlin Road in the Google Custom Search box on the top right corner it should come up.

I am from Ardoyne and went to St Dominic's but my primary school was Holy Cross.

jamie

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:42:23 AM »
Thanks Chi and Tipperdarby, will try that link as I have lived out of Ireland for nearly 40 years and have lost touch with most of the girls.

What year were you in St. Dominics as I  am sure I am much older than you.  I came from Strathroy Park
Mother Helena was the headmistress when I was there.  We left in 1965.  Nice chatting again, I have been off the forum for a few years but hope to get the time now to participate. 

Tipperdarby

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
Thanks Chi and Tipperdarby, will try that link as I have lived out of Ireland for nearly 40 years and have lost touch with most of the girls.

What year were you in St. Dominics as I  am sure I am much older than you.  I came from Strathroy Park
Mother Helena was the headmistress when I was there.  We left in 1965.  Nice chatting again, I have been off the forum for a few years but hope to get the time now to participate.
I started at St Dominic's in 1962. I remember Mother Helena now that you mention her. I thought Sr.Mary Urban was headmistress when I was there but my memory cannot be trusted :D Some of the nuns who taught me were, Sr/?Mother Consuelo, Sr Lucien, Sr Fabian, Mother Philomena for Domestic Science. She was a sweet tiny little nun. The teachers I remember were Miss McVerry, Miss Treacey and that is about it.
We lived in Eskdale. My name was Eileen O'Neill and I was the eldest of 4 girls.

jamie

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:25 AM »
Thanks Tipper, I will have a look.  I remember Miss Mc Verry, Mrs. Cumberledge (a Hallion) and prefer to forget most of them.  The nuns were nice.  I am older than you and went with Pat McLarnon Estoril Park, Mary Mc Cann Ladbrook Drive to St. Dominics and I am betty McLaughlin Strathroy Park.  My sister Maura R.I.P who was younger than me had the hairdressing shop in Butler Street. I don't think I knew your family.  I knew Eamonn and Charlie Magee and the Shevlins of Eskdale.  They would all be older than you
Most of the girls in our street went to Holy Cross and I am sure there was a Mrs. White who was headmistress then.  I am not sure.  I was in South Africa for 38 years and am now resident in Republic of Ireland.  Nice to chat with you.  Keep in touch  Betty

Tipperdarby

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 03:16:12 AM »
Thanks Tipper, I will have a look.  I remember Miss Mc Verry, Mrs. Cumberledge (a Hallion) and prefer to forget most of them.  The nuns were nice.  I am older than you and went with Pat McLarnon Estoril Park, Mary Mc Cann Ladbrook Drive to St. Dominics and I am betty McLaughlin Strathroy Park.  My sister Maura R.I.P who was younger than me had the hairdressing shop in Butler Street. I don't think I knew your family.  I knew Eamonn and Charlie Magee and the Shevlins of Eskdale.  They would all be older than you
Most of the girls in our street went to Holy Cross and I am sure there was a Mrs. White who was headmistress then.  I am not sure.  I was in South Africa for 38 years and am now resident in Republic of Ireland.  Nice to chat with you.  Keep in touch  Betty
Jamie,
I knew a Maura Mc Laughlin from Highbury, did you know that family? There was an older sister named Anne, they went to St Dominic's also. I am sorry that your sister died, that must have been awful for you. I cannot imagine what you must have gone through. Where in Ireland are you? My sister Moira lived in Dublin for nearly 40 years, she was an Air Hostess with Aer Lingus but they now live in Kerry. I knew the Magees and Shevlins. I am trying to think who I knew in Strathroy....Kathleen Daly, John Laphen, Pat and Ciaran(RIP) Murphy.
I live on Vancouver Island Canada but we are in Arizona for the winter.Our Moira is coming for a short visit the first week of Feb so that will be great craic!! My poor quiet Canadian husband won't get a word in. .
Cheers
Eileen

jamie

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 05:36:59 AM »
Tipper I can imagine your poor husband not getting a word in as our Maura R.I P was over in Ireland (Kildare) 2 years ago.  I brought her over as I knew you was ill (cancer) and we talked our heads off.  My husband is from Stratford Gardens but one of the quiet variety so we never stopped talking about old times.  He asked if we didn't run out of things to talk about.  It was the best money I ever spent as she only lasted a short time after she went back.  She was an avid fan of the Astor Ballroom and could remember lots of the girls who came into the hairdressers.  We lived in South Africa for nearly 40 years and came back a few years to Ireland.  Maura and her Husband died within 10 months of each other and they are both buried in Johannesburg as are our parents.  Sad  -  But I have been back a few times and always enjoy myself.  I know the girls  you mentioned from Strathroy and Betty Nethercott is Patrick Nethercotts elder sister. Enjoy your sisters visit. Betty