Author Topic: grundig dunmurry  (Read 10134 times)

JoeM-PM2

Re: grundig dunmurry
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 11:24:42 AM »
When I started in Grundig Edna Davies was the Multi Channel inspector on the Testfield and I was her repairman. We worked together for quite a while, a lovely person.

Ray Davies

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »
When I started in Grundig Edna Davies was the Multi Channel inspector on the Testfield and I was her repairman. We worked together for quite a while, a lovely person.
[/quote
Hi Joe I must show this thread to my mother next time im down. She will be 92 next Xmas and still in good order. She has some funny stories from the old place like the time Mr Sandy the manager of the plating went for a swim (unintentional) in the neutralizing tank out the back.... Oh happy days!!

JoeM-PM2

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »
Please give her my fondest regards Ray and hope she is enjoying good health. I left Belfast in December 1972 and went to live in Germany, now in retirement I split my time between Germany and Portugal with the odd visit to Belfast.
Take care, Joe.

Ray Davies

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »
I certainly will Joe, she will be delighted, she like myself spent the whole of our working lives so far hoping another Grundig would come along, of course it never did. I sometimes go to a couple of the small units that now occupy the old (and new) buildings and it greaves me to see what the old place has become, progress? I will certainly bring your best wishes to my mum, I do remember her talking about Joe on many occasions.

JoeM-PM2

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 12:07:41 PM »
The next time I travel over Ray I will make contact, maybe it would be possible to meet. I would love to see your mother again.
Take care, Joe.

Ray Davies

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 01:28:23 PM »
Hi Joe, I think you will know me. Of I'm not mistaken we started serving our time together or at least the first six months. I went on to the toolroom and you went upstairs to Harry's place. I might be wrong there but my mother would love to meet you again whatever, she is living in proiry park in lambeg. If you give me a call on 07765775251 I'll pick you up and bring you down, its be nice to see you again.

The Murph

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2015, 02:41:50 PM »
I worked about 1970/1 after I came back from being at sea. I worked in the testing area, my foreman, a lovely man, whose name I have forgotten (Don?) allowed me to be late many times and protected me until the powers that be said enough. I was late too many times. The funny thing is that I was asked by the laboratory people to come and work in the development lab the day I was given my marching orders.  :)
I was given another chance but decided to leave instead. Have good memories of Grundigs.
I have been practicing to be late for my funeral ever since. Still a terrible time keeper.  ???
Blessed are the cracked, they will let in the light.

annie1952

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »
I worked in grundig from 69 to 74 love it my name was beryl walsh anyone know me

CAMWORLD

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2015, 03:21:12 AM »
Served my apprenticeship as a Tool & Die Maker (Toolmaker) from 1966- 1971. Eddie was the toolroom foreman. Remember Dennis & Ken Lilley, Kevin Agnew . Norman Lonsdale & I emigrated to Canada in 71, and we are still here

tboy

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »
Aghh. not one of ye has time for the guys that actualy built the factory  . That old Unionist who was minister for commerce at the time and his 'advance' factories gave a load of 'dossers' employment. :D

Bread Basket

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2015, 10:22:49 PM »
My sister and 2 of my sister in laws worked there. My Father had a tape recorder that was bought at staff discount....his quote.  "Biggest bundle of scrap son"....lol

macroyal

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »
got a big portable radio from douglas(dougie) keag who worked there in about 1970, think it is still in the house nice bit of kit at the time

JackM

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 12:53:25 PM »
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Ray Davies

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 07:38:13 PM »
Served my apprenticeship as a Tool & Die Maker (Toolmaker) from 1966- 1971. Eddie was the toolroom foreman. Remember Dennis & Ken Lilley, Kevin Agnew . Norman Lonsdale & I emigrated to Canada in 71, and we are still here
I served my time in the toolroom. I was a year behind Denis Lilly, Alan Hand (deceased), Kevin Agnew and the others. In fact Shorty Lonsdale started the same time as myself. We must know each other. I worked there for over 12 years from August 1966. Herbert Hoeck should ring a bell with you. what about wee Aubry ow there was a character.

Ray Davies

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 08:48:02 AM »
Aghh. not one of ye has time for the guys that actualy built the factory  . That old Unionist who was minister for commerce at the time and his 'advance' factories gave a load of 'dossers' employment. :D
I'd disagree very strongly, not many of the workers would have ever known those who built the factory originally. I do remember the extension going up at the rear of the factory, it held the plastics, the press shop, the SPA , the Toolroom, the expense store and some offices. We had great craic with the lads building it specially when in 1975 we moved in before the building work was completed.