Author Topic: Is Northern Ireland to play on a Sunday?  (Read 11155 times)

manu4life

Is Northern Ireland to play on a Sunday?
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »
Just caught the end of the Stephen Nolan show on radio today. With the European Championship draw made it seems some games are to be played on a Sunday.  Wonder what will happen at Windsor.I know they are against Sunday Football.

pussyfootin

Re: Is Northern Ireland to play on a Sunday?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:55:43 AM »
At long last Northern Ireland football emerges from the Dark Ages.

EllCee

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »
Stephen Nolan ‏@StephenNolan   1h

"NI should quit Euro 2016" - Rev David McIlveen opposes first Windsor Park home fixture https://audioboo.fm/boos/1944961-ni-should-quit-euro-2016-rev-david-mcilveen-opposes-first-windsor-park-home-fixture via @audioboo

https://twitter.com/
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

old3wheeler

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
Excellent news, why not play the games on a sunday every were else is open on a sunday. lets hope the do gooders dont gurn to much,  regards ken
" outside of a dog " a book is mans best friend,
inside of a dog is far to dark to read."

manu4life

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
this may be a miracle, but I agree with old3wheeler     Hope a big deal is not made of Sunday football at Windsor.It is played throughout the world on a Sunday.

GandT

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »
I don't know if it is definite go-ahead yet for the games on a Sunday but, if so, I hope the IFA will hold firm on this irrespective of whoever and whatever quarters moan, groan and campaign against it. It can be seen as emerging 'from the Dark Ages' or looked on more constructively as one more of a set of progressive policies and practice by the IFA. Personally, I would give people the benefit of the doubt. I have listened to some of my friends, my son-in-law [an avid NI fan], watched and listened carefully to broadcasts of NI matches and do sense a different atmosphere. As a matter of fact, I am looking forward to going to my first NI match in well over 30 years and after thinking that I would never go again.  I may have to stand under the union flag and stand for the 'National Anthem' but, fair enough, if people can go a certain distance, then so can I and perhaps some others!

Brown low

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:12:54 PM »
Excellent news, why not play the games on a sunday every were else is open on a sunday. lets hope the do gooders dont gurn to much,  regards ken

I as a committed Christian am allowed a point of view. Firstly I am not a "do gooder" secondly every were else is open on a Sunday is far off the mark.  So please allow me to make my point that I am against Sunday games.  I have not the power to do so nor would I enforce my views on anyone as to what they can or cannot do.  I  believe Sunday should be kept holy.  I do not live in the "dark ages" I live in the present. Why do you attack Christians for taking a stand for their faith as we are not attacking you ?. 

manu4life

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »
Are you against all sport around the world being played on a sunday, that included leisure centres etc being opened?

EllCee

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »
... I may have to stand under the union flag and stand for the 'National Anthem' but, fair enough, if people can go a certain distance, then so can I and perhaps some others!

Most people would be polite and stand for a national anthem.  I may not agree with a country's politics, but I will show respect for its people.

:)
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

EllCee

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »

... I  believe Sunday should be kept holy.  I do not live in the "dark ages" I live in the present. Why do you attack Christians for taking a stand for their faith as we are not attacking you ?.

The Sabbath Day is to be kept holy and also be a day of rest and relaxation and recovery after a week of work.

rathlin

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »
Years ago they locked up the children's swings in the public parks on Sundays.  Cinema's were banned from opening on Sundays.  People were banned from kicking a ball in the public parks Sunday's.  Years ago, religious zealots brainwashed the population with their evil sick opinions.  Thankfully, most people now, do not allow themselves to be brainwashed by these zealots.  Long may it last.
Remembering the forgotten innocents of all wars.

GandT

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
Why do you attack Christians for taking a stand for their faith as we are not attacking you ?. 

I respect all views and would even go so far as to say that I do not expect that any Church or religious group should have to automatically accept the views of a numerical majority. They have an absolute right to protest, campaign and argue their case in whatever forum best suits. I have gone to events where there have been noisy and argumentative protests, some where there have been respectful placards and leafleting and I have accepted these [even read the leaflets!]. I have been impressed by and complimented young people who have stood out from their peers and handed out religious pamphlets and leaflets amid derision and abuse. However, there are many 'committed Christians' who do not regard specific types of Sunday observance as obligatory or even intrinsically worthwhile. The words ' committed Christians' should not and does not belong to any one sect or one set of Christian beliefs on the Sabbath. The right to protest belongs to any single sect or group of sects that wish[es] to make their views known.

harrydunn

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »
where does keeping it Holy begin and end? how many Born Again Christians can truthfully say they never filled their cars up with fuel on a Sunday and are thankful that there is someone working to serve them, as for doctor's Nurses and all the Emergency services are they breaking Gods law? I know you will say but they are doing Gods work, are the Sportsmen not also doing good work by making people happy and by and large peaceful, many many professions work Sunday why discriminate against professional sportsmen and Women young and old?. 

manu4life

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
here here  :o ::) :-\

Brown low

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »
where does keeping it Holy begin and end? how many Born Again Christians can truthfully say they never filled their cars up with fuel on a Sunday and are thankful that there is someone working to serve them, as for doctor's Nurses and all the Emergency services are they breaking Gods law? I know you will say but they are doing Gods work, are the Sportsmen not also doing good work by making people happy and by and large peaceful, many many professions work Sunday why discriminate against professional sportsmen and Women young and old?.

The quote was about football on a Sunday at Windsor Park. Not swings, Born Again Christians, nurses and doctors.  It is being overlooked that many who hold Christian View's are being discriminated against by football being changed to a Sunday, so you can see why we are protesting as is our right.
This change will go against Christians sports person who also wish to not play on a Sunday.  So please keep to the post and stop attacking those who do not hold the same views, as it is not only Christians who do not want sports on a Sunday.