Author Topic: Is Northern Ireland to play on a Sunday?  (Read 11169 times)

sonofshanks

Re: Is Northern Ireland to play on a Sunday?
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »
I know. 

But you, in the broadest sense of the word, would hardly consider the Council/Corporation to have been "Jewish".  Or Republican or Nationalist for that matter.  It was unionists and Christians who locked up the swings, or gave the instructions for them to be locked.  (As you know, you can be hauled over the coals for using a colon instead of a semicolon or comma.)

The Belfast Corporation as I understand and history recalls, was totally controlled by Unionists.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

EllCee

« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »

The Belfast Corporation as I and history understand, was totally controlled by Unionists.

That's what I thought, and why I said "The Christian and Unionist swing chaineruppers and playground closers played golf on Sundays?" in my amended post. 

Mind you, Sally-Ann hasn't replied to my comment, which was addressed to her.

::)
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

sonofshanks

« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »
That's what I thought, and why I said "The Christian and Unionist swing chaineruppers and playground closers played golf on Sundays?" in my amended post. 

Mind you, Sally-Ann hasn't replied to my comment, which was addressed to her.

::)

All this was long before Ian Paisley formed the Protestant Unionist Party in 1966 which later became the DUP in 1971.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Dommo

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2014, 08:28:21 PM »

The Belfast Corporation as I understand and history recalls, was totally controlled by Unionists.
yes my da boots worked for them and they controlled it. They might have had a few token Fenians , but they controlled it.
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

na heite

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2014, 12:10:48 AM »
Loved Lounge Lizard,s line..."Thank God I'm an atheist"
"I am a drinker with writing problems." (Brendan Behan)

Dommo

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2014, 12:36:28 AM »
Loved Lounge Lizard,s line..."Thank God I'm an atheist"
May gawd forgive your both!

Brown low

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2014, 07:56:14 AM »
yes my da boots worked for them and they controlled it. They might have had a few token Fenians , but they controlled it.

How can you tell when someone is a  Fenian?  Or are you assuming that is the name for a Roman Catholic?.   :o  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Could you give us a breakdown of religious persuasion for the period of employment  you are referring too. :bad: :music: :preved:

johnmc

« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2014, 03:17:57 PM »
 :hi: G,d day Brown Low  ---not expressing an opinion here.
                  Where I was raised the term Fenian was expressly used in connection with being of the Catholic religion.
               No mistake --if you were a Catholic then quite often you were described as a Fenian or a Mick.
                               johnmc

Skully1

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »
:hi: G,d day Brown Low  ---not expressing an opinion here.
                  Where I was raised the term Fenian was expressly used in connection with being of the Catholic religion.
               No mistake --if you were a Catholic then quite often you were described as a Fenian or a Mick.
                               johnmc

You beat me to it.   I do not know where Brown Low lived but in Belfast all the protestants I knew referred to Catholics as Fenians...might not have been the correct term but that was how it was.

Brown low

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2014, 04:38:16 PM »
Fenian  :( ??? .  Not in our village.

chink

« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »
what was wolfe tone  fenian  a horrible word

harrydunn

« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »
my understanding is "A FENIAN" is/was an Irish Warrior, but most people at least in N.I. if asked what a Fenian was they would say rightly or wrongly an Irish Roman Catholic, no offence intended to my R.C. friends in this post.

harrydunn

« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2014, 05:51:18 PM »
from Advanced English Dictionary

Fenian

Blend of old Irish Feinne or Fianna, plural of Fiann ("Soldier")
the name of a Legendary Band of Irish Warriors,
and Fene or Feni, Legendary settlers of Ireland
First attested 1816

Dommo

« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »

How can you tell when someone is a  Fenian?  Or are you assuming that is the name for a Roman Catholic?.   :o  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Could you give us a breakdown of religious persuasion for the period of employment  you are referring too. :bad: :music: :preved:
im referring to the corporation. The workforce was mixed. My da and grads were hired because they were ex service. They had  of Catholics. The corporation, council was largely Protestant until recent years. The term Fenian is commonly used forever to a northern catholic. Even though that is historically inaccurate it is not arguable.

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2014, 07:13:19 PM »
im referring to the corporation. The workforce was mixed. My da and grads were hired because they were ex service. They had  of Catholics. The corporation, council was largely Protestant until recent years. The term Fenian is commonly used forever to a northern catholic. Even though that is historically inaccurate it is not arguable.

Can you translate the bold  please into something that the majority of us will understand.?
Bord na Móna